July Jelly Beans of 2014! *16 pink bumps, 18 blue bumps, 8 yellow bumps** (24 here)

Honestly brand wise, it's all about preference and what works for your baby. Perhaps for the first few weeks, get smaller packages and samples of different brands to see what works.

Breast pump, most women prefer Medela. Personally, I hate Medela and LOVE Avent.

Diapers, I tried both Huggies and Pampers, and some of the smaller names, and have stuck with Pampers for 7 years now. I found Huggies to be too much like cardboard and always leaked out the crotch side. Pampers is soft, snug, and holds everything in better and has a nice, slight scent to it. I can't imagine what cardboard on your bum feels like.

Wipes, I prefer Huggies wipes. I love that they're thick and can get the poop mess off more easily. You can also easily tear them down the centre to use half and make them last longer if there's just a pee in the diaper. I do use Pampers from time to time, but Huggies wipes are my preference.

Shampoos and toiletries, AVOID Johnson's like the plague. The brand contains carcinogenic chemicals and are also horrible for cradle cap. I use Aveeno. It's oatmeal and other natural ingredients. Expensive as hell, but worth it and is gentle. I still use it on my 5 year old to treat his excema.

A sterilizer isn't necessary. Boil the bottles, nipples, and soothers in a pot in hot boiling water for 5 minutes is sufficient. A sterilizer, like a bottle or wipes warmer, is a money grab and not needed. To warm a bottle, invest in a kettle and a large measuring cup. Place the bottle in the measuring cup and pour the hot water around it and shake and check every 2-3 minutes until it's ready.

Bottles, again, comes down to personal preference. Mine is Avent, and all my babies seem to prefer Avent so far to any other brand (we've done gerber, Nuk, Playtex, dollar store, etc)

This is number 4 for me, so I hope that helped a little. If I missed anything specific, let me know.

I love Burt's Bees shampoo and wash...it smells so good and no bad chemicals. Target has a good selection of organic/natural baby bath stuff if you're in the US.
I just found out there is a birthing center in my town!! How did I not know about this until today? I have been dreading another hospital birth because it was so cold and clinical and have been toying with the idea of a home birth but we're so far away from a hospital we're not comfortable. This would be the perfect compromise!! I have to call back and ask questions, especially about insurance. If I can get in here I would be looking forward to birth! It was even written about in Cosmo, among other magazines. https://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/katharine-morrison-birthing-center-abortion

Welcome to the new ladies!

I do not know how you guys can stay team yellow, I just HAD to know! :haha:

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I wasn't going to bother with a steriliser, but OH thought we needed one (he's had three children already). I assumed we'd be ok with boiling and/or Milton.

Will get a few packets of different types of nappies and see what works best. Pampers seem to get better reviews for comfort and fit though. I saw Burt Bee's products on the John Lewis website today and wondered whether they were any good so will order some samples and also look to see if we can get Aveeno in the UK.

I still have to order the cot, furniture and all the bedding. The bedding that I want is from the US so I'd better get that ordered soon!It needs to arrive before I chose my paint for the walls. We're going with an aqua, teal and grey theme which will hopefully be gender neutral enough if we have a girl next time.

My microwave steriliser was a godsend, and only £10 in the Asda baby event. Couldn't do without it, lol. As for nappies, I used pampers and Huggies newborn and small sized ones (obviously Huggies aren't sold in the UK anymore so go for pampers) and then once she got a bit bigger, straight in to Asda little angels or Tesco or aldi own brand. Seriously, they are JUST as good as Pampers (and all 8 mummies in my mummy group made the switch at the same time and never looked back) and half the price.

With bottles, don't buy anything in bulk as babies are very temperamental and what might work for one, won't work for another. Maybe buy one or two of a particular brand (Dr Browns are amazing but quite expensive, MAM are another good make) and see how your baby gets on, then invest in more.

With baby bath products, I've always used Johnson's and had no problems.cmy mum used it on me and my brother and sister, most of the people I know use it, and Eden has never had any issues with dry skin or anything like that. To be honest though for the first few months we just bathed her in water (no bubble bath or baby wash etc).

Wipes - again, go with what's on offer. They're all much of a muchness really. The Pampers ones and Huggies Pure (I think they're called) are lovely, and very thick which is nice,but I only buy them when they're on offer, otherwise again I stick to Asda little angels for the good value :) xxx

I've just heard u shudnt buy any nappies/ bum cream/ wipes obviously u need a few for wen baby is born .. But why u shudnt it doesn't matter what has n hasn't worked every child is different ..

E.g huggies leaks with boys but not girls but poo wise yes .. Pampers causes bad Nappy rash due to chemicals .. Its a hard one .. Even tho I don't have children I work with them so I see it mostly everyday ..

I got avent bottles and Timmy top bottles .. Still stuck ona formula just in case I can't breast feed .. Wanted a medela pump .. But now I see brandi hates it lol why??? I don't want a pump until I can breast feed as they very expensive lol ...

I didn't know that about johnsen n johnsen thanks brandi ..

Any ladies strugglin with acne I am I've heard nutregena/ nivea .. Good and safe :) but haven't found anythin that works .. :)

Huggies leaked with my daughter and my son. Never had a Pampers leak though and my kids never had horrible rashes with Pampers either. They'd get red from time to time, like when they were a bit older, but with immediate and proper treatment and care, I've always been able to reduce the redness and prevent it from getting worse pretty quickly. I'll never use Huggies diapers again, lmao. All the newborn Huggies samples I've received I've given to my daughters to use on their dolls.

I've never invested in Medela but had to use it at the hospital when my oldest was hospitalized but baby was at home, just so I didn't get engorged. I found Medela to pinch my breasts and nipples too much and it hurt like a b***h. If I tried a lower setting, I couldn't get milk. It was a lose-lose situation with Medela.

Avent allowed me to set my own degree of suction and speed, and with the push of a button, remembered my setting and continued pumping for me. I was able to express a good 23oz in one 10 minute setting with Avent. I'll never use another pump again. LOVE LOVE LOVE Avent!!!

I think I'm going to L&D ladies. I haven't felt Baby Kes in about 24 hours, and it may just be because I've had a lot of stress with my son's concussion and my daughter's being ill, or it could just be the anterior placenta, but he's pretty strong and I usually feel SOMETHING through the day. His most frequent movements are at 10pm and 6am and nothing at either time. Not even a shift. Keep us in your thoughts. I'll be 25 weeks tomorrow

Hi ladies!

How's everybody doing?
I'm Jess! I'm 25, married and due 10th July!
This is our first and according to the 20week scan were having a little boy hehe
Got a 4d scan booked for the 13th of April and I can't wait to see our little peanut!

Nice to meet u all

Welcome Moomin!!! I'll add you to the front!

Midwife came out to the house with a doppler. She said they don't worry about lack of movement before 26 weeks, but I'm close enough to 26 weeks to just provide reassurance. Given I also did some (very) heavy lifting (unsuccessfully lifted a bed by myself to make my girls' beds into bunk beds, then lifted it with my ex), and it was before then that I felt him, we just wanted to be sure.

She also didn't want me going to the hospital with all the flu bugs going around, and measles has also been confirmed in the next town over, so she came out to the house.

He still has a strong heartbeat, had turned himself inwards, and the little bugger started kicking up a storm when she went to put the doppler on. He turned out and kicked it, lol.

So all is well...and no more heavy lifting.

Thank goodness brandi. Was worried for a minute there.
Welcome moominj......

I am glad everything is okay Brandi. I had the same problem on Thursday so when I finally called he started kicking around. I am pretty sure he got turned backwards.

Anddd... I am in 3rd tri! I cannot believe July babies are moving into 3rd tri now.

YAY for 3rd trimester, Krissie!!!

Now it's flying by. Gonna be our turn sooner than we think!

Congrats on 3rd trimester Krissie!

V-day here :happydance:

Can't believe how soon were going to be holding our little peanuts :D

Congrats on V-Day Tooth!!

I'm watching The Business of Being Born. OMG! What an eye opening documentary. I'm already with a midwife, but I think I'm most definitely going with a home birth now.

Congrats on V-Day Tooth!!

I'm watching The Business of Being Born. OMG! What an eye opening documentary. I'm already with a midwife, but I think I'm most definitely going with a home birth now.

Thanks Brandi! I haven't watched any videos yet, I'm so scared of labor its not even funny. I just googled the documentary your watching, think I'll watch it. I'm looking into taking a childbirth class with DH even though he will most likely not be there when she arrives.

This is our first so have no idea what kind of classes or videos to watch, do any of the mommies to be have any advice?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Moominj. You are due the same day as me. We are having a boy as well.

I took a lamaze clasd and found it to b. great and ease a lot of my fears. I really liked how different it was from the TV version of birthing classes.

I took one childbirth class and it was VERY focused on epidurals and drugs and was very pro c-section. I feel like it highly contributed to why I had an epidural for my first birth, followed by delivery complications. I've listened to my body with every birth after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->