July testers - Over 35

Mac - I was stalking your journal and noticed your DH has diabetes. Mine does too - do you know if/how much it can affect fertility?

Is you DH type 1 or 2? What age did he get diagnosed?

My FIL has had type 1 diabetes since 15 and it hasn't seemed to have affected his count as DH has 3 living siblings and an :angel: sibling. My BIL also has type 1 diabetes diagnosed at 5 years old and he has told us he knows there are fertility issues but we cold tell he didn't want to say more so didn't ask.

My DH has type 2 diabetes which was diagnosed in October 2007. He doesn't need medication yet so we have to control it with his diet which is easier said than done when my DH hits 5 year old mode and stuffs crisps & chocolate :growlmad:

Apparently both types can affect count and/or motility and/or morphology but the most significantly affect of diabetes is that the volume is usually significantly less and it can affect the DNA of the sperm. Although another study I read said if the DNA was affected it affected morphology so :shrug:

Thankfully our female bodies are usually quite useful and picking off and destroying the sperm with dodgy DNA :)

I did loads of research and ensured any supplements I put my DH had a positive impact on his diabetes. It was easy for me though as I didn't have to worry how things would impact medication.

If your DH isn't already on one I would suggest he goes on a multivitamin specifically for men trying to conceive with their partner. My DH is on tesco's own and it has enough of all the RDAs of each vitamin and mineral. Ensure he is getting 100% of magnesium; zinc; vitamin E and folic acid - yeap believe it - folic acid helps to prevent growth defects in the sperm!

I also had me DH on 1000mg fish oil omega-3 and Tesco's own 30mg Co enzyme Q10 and 200mg royal jelly as all help sperm health. For the first month he did take a vitamin B complex as well as the prenatal but he stopped after 1 month as he ran out and didn't tell me :dohh:

He was also on maca root capsules (you can get them from Holland & Barrett combined with horny goat's weed). If your DH is on insulin or medication for his diabetes I would really check it out if it is ok for him to have this as it could cause more harm than good.

And a supplement called Pycnogenol 30mg. Again if your DH is on insulin or medication for his diabetes I would really check it out if it is ok for him to have this as it could cause more harm than good.

And thankfully his SA has come back better than the first :happydance: It may be as good as it gets now but DH is staying on the supplements and I will ask for another SA if no BFP before then.

Hope that helps? :hugs: And good luck with the house move :)

Jodes - i really hope you get an appt soon. Our GP surgery is the same and its very difficult to get an appointment. The last time i had trouble getting through the receptionist and getting an appointment i demanded a telephone consult with a GP which you ae entitled to do. You have to wait in for the call as they cannot give you a time but they do call you back. After speaking to the GP i got an appointment for the very next day. Funny how they just managed to fit me in.

tbh i would love a BFP this cycle as would anyone but i would be extremely paranoid after whats happened and i think its for the best just to chill and take it easy and take the pressure off.

Jodes - i really hope you get an appt soon. Our GP surgery is the same and its very difficult to get an appointment. The last time i had trouble getting through the receptionist and getting an appointment i demanded a telephone consult with a GP which you ae entitled to do. You have to wait in for the call as they cannot give you a time but they do call you back. After speaking to the GP i got an appointment for the very next day. Funny how they just managed to fit me in.

tbh i would love a BFP this cycle as would anyone but i would be extremely paranoid after whats happened and i think its for the best just to chill and take it easy and take the pressure off.

I quite agree

Jodes Hun if your in too much pain turn up at the early pregnancy clinic at your local hospital or one that provides this service. I scan may be a good idea. Don't struggle on. I did with one of mine and got such a nasty infection I ended up in theatre for an emergency d and c . Typical medic , ignoring my own symptoms and brushing them off.
Keep us up to date. X

Wendy , I hear how sad you feel . It's so hard when we want to get right back on it but our bodies are saying something else. Let's hope the non timing helps . Take care

Jodie definitely see someone for investigations. After 3 MC you qualify for a karyotype (looking at both you and DH's chromosomes) to make sure no subtle changes which increase MC risk. People with balanced translocations have good odds of having healthy children, but are also at risk for MCs. I assess, diagnose and counsel couples with these changes routinely in my Genetics clinic :hugs:

thanks for the piece of info :hugs: i don't know what you think about this but i have a feeling i can't carry a female? x

Hey Jodie and Jenn, there is no genetic condition that completely prevents one from carrying a baby of a specific sex. At the most, there are X-linked diseases (carried on the X chromosome) which affect boys and not girls, but a female carrier of an X-linked disease has a 50% risk of an affected boy, and a 50% risk of a healthy boy. Hope this helps a bit!

Sorry if i'm being a bit :dohh: here but are you saying it's only boy chromosomes that some women have problems carrying and not girls?

Hun, women have 2 Xs, so we're 46, XX, boys have only 1 X, so they're 46, XY. They don't have a healthy X to protect them if their one X carries a defective gene, so they "show" X-related diseases whereas in general, women don't (there are rare exceptions). Hope that helps clarify a bit!

Mac - I was stalking your journal and noticed your DH has diabetes. Mine does too - do you know if/how much it can affect fertility?

Is you DH type 1 or 2? What age did he get diagnosed?

My FIL has had type 1 diabetes since 15 and it hasn't seemed to have affected his count as DH has 3 living siblings and an :angel: sibling. My BIL also has type 1 diabetes diagnosed at 5 years old and he has told us he knows there are fertility issues but we cold tell he didn't want to say more so didn't ask.

My DH has type 2 diabetes which was diagnosed in October 2007. He doesn't need medication yet so we have to control it with his diet which is easier said than done when my DH hits 5 year old mode and stuffs crisps & chocolate :growlmad:

Apparently both types can affect count and/or motility and/or morphology but the most significantly affect of diabetes is that the volume is usually significantly less and it can affect the DNA of the sperm. Although another study I read said if the DNA was affected it affected morphology so :shrug:

Thankfully our female bodies are usually quite useful and picking off and destroying the sperm with dodgy DNA :)

I did loads of research and ensured any supplements I put my DH had a positive impact on his diabetes. It was easy for me though as I didn't have to worry how things would impact medication.

If your DH isn't already on one I would suggest he goes on a multivitamin specifically for men trying to conceive with their partner. My DH is on tesco's own and it has enough of all the RDAs of each vitamin and mineral. Ensure he is getting 100% of magnesium; zinc; vitamin E and folic acid - yeap believe it - folic acid helps to prevent growth defects in the sperm!

I also had me DH on 1000mg fish oil omega-3 and Tesco's own 30mg Co enzyme Q10 and 200mg royal jelly as all help sperm health. For the first month he did take a vitamin B complex as well as the prenatal but he stopped after 1 month as he ran out and didn't tell me :dohh:

He was also on maca root capsules (you can get them from Holland & Barrett combined with horny goat's weed). If your DH is on insulin or medication for his diabetes I would really check it out if it is ok for him to have this as it could cause more harm than good.

And a supplement called Pycnogenol 30mg. Again if your DH is on insulin or medication for his diabetes I would really check it out if it is ok for him to have this as it could cause more harm than good.

And thankfully his SA has come back better than the first :happydance: It may be as good as it gets now but DH is staying on the supplements and I will ask for another SA if no BFP before then.

Hope that helps? :hugs: And good luck with the house move :)

Wow - Mac the diabetic TTC guru!! Thanks for all that - fantastic!! DH is type 2 and is controlled with medication so would need to look in to what's ok for him to take, but the multivits shouldn't be a problem you would think. He's due to go for a SA in the next few weeks so we'll see then anyway

Morning girls,

Myself and DH have decided to give up on SMEP and actively ttc this month. I have more spotting yesterday albeit brown and old blood, i think my body is trying to tell me something. So we are NTNP and just :sex: for fun this month. So no SS and no OPKs. Normally i would still have been able to pinpoint when i was likely to O but after the CP theres no way of telling so the NTNP will make it so much easier on me this month and if by chance i do get another BFP then it is meant to be.
We are both firm believers in "Whats for you wont go by you" so if its meant to be this month it will happen without us timing :sex:

This POAS addict will still be POAS but not until AF due date or after. At least i will still get my fix. lol

Good luck all testers for today.

:dust:

Good luck Wendy, I think you made a good decision for you. I hope this is your month. I am a believer in that "what's for you won't go by you" as well. Personally I think people have a better chance when they are NTNP as you are not stressing about when is OV and when is this, what is my temp today etc... I didn't really do a whole lot when I conceived either. I didn't chart temps or do OPK. I did :sex: 3-4 times a week the 2nd and 3rd wk of my cycle. but thats about it. It happened for me on Cycle #2 of TTC. Good luck hun, I wish you the best. :hugs: :dust::dust::dust:

Jodes Hun if your in too much pain turn up at the early pregnancy clinic at your local hospital or one that provides this service. I scan may be a good idea. Don't struggle on. I did with one of mine and got such a nasty infection I ended up in theatre for an emergency d and c . Typical medic , ignoring my own symptoms and brushing them off.
Keep us up to date. X

if the pain does get any worse i don't think i'll have any choice but to go to the early pregnancy assessment unit. I have just managed to make an appointment with my own doctor (which is rare nowadays) for Thursday evening. I know it's a long time but i would rather see my own doctor who knows my history. Of course i will keep you informed. :kiss::hugs:

Jodie definitely see someone for investigations. After 3 MC you qualify for a karyotype (looking at both you and DH's chromosomes) to make sure no subtle changes which increase MC risk. People with balanced translocations have good odds of having healthy children, but are also at risk for MCs. I assess, diagnose and counsel couples with these changes routinely in my Genetics clinic :hugs:

thanks for the piece of info :hugs: i don't know what you think about this but i have a feeling i can't carry a female? x

Hey Jodie and Jenn, there is no genetic condition that completely prevents one from carrying a baby of a specific sex. At the most, there are X-linked diseases (carried on the X chromosome) which affect boys and not girls, but a female carrier of an X-linked disease has a 50% risk of an affected boy, and a 50% risk of a healthy boy. Hope this helps a bit!

Sorry if i'm being a bit :dohh: here but are you saying it's only boy chromosomes that some women have problems carrying and not girls?

Hun, women have 2 Xs, so we're 46, XX, boys have only 1 X, so they're 46, XY. They don't have a healthy X to protect them if their one X carries a defective gene, so they "show" X-related diseases whereas in general, women don't (there are rare exceptions). Hope that helps clarify a bit!

Yes it does thanks x

Wow - Mac the diabetic TTC guru!! Thanks for all that - fantastic!! DH is type 2 and is controlled with medication so would need to look in to what's ok for him to take, but the multivits shouldn't be a problem you would think. He's due to go for a SA in the next few weeks so we'll see then anyway

Just glad my research and knowledge can help others :) Fingers crossed that your DH's results come back ok. From what I could work out diabetes is more of an issue if developed in childhood or if the diabetes is not being controlled properly.

I think I need some of the horny goat weed for my DH!

Thanks Junebug!

Wendy - I hope you feel better soon and get through this rough spot. I'm behind you 100% and I think you are doing the right thing for you & your DH! Don't ignore what your body is telling you!

And right now my body is telling me I should not have eaten that donut this morning! :sick: I've been lazy 2 morning in a row and not gone walking, but I plan to hit the health club tonight!

Word of warning with horny goats weed ..... my DH used to take his at bedtime and I used to get disturbed sleep :winkwink: Now he has to take it in the morning :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good pointer!

:dust: and fingers crossed for today's testers!!!!

AFM, no sign of O yet. We took a break last night, but I think we'll be back at it tonight. Every second day before OPK is positive should cover us :thumbup:

Wendy - You have to do what is right for you and your OH hun. Everyone is different. My fingers are firmly crossed for you this cycle.

Jodes - Try and take it easy hun and I have my fngers crossed you don't need to go to the hospital and the Thurs evening appointment comes round quickly.

Trying to keep busy so the 2ww goes quickly but it never does!!!!

Hi Ladies!

I stay away from the boards (or just lurking) for a few days and we are already on page 74! :shrug:

Many :hugs: to those who have experienced losses or if AF came :growlmad:

and huge :dust: for those waiting to pee on that stick! Looking to see more BFPs and have you join me on the first trimester boards! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

EWCM is for sure here now!!! Hope I don't ovulate day 20 again like last time! I'm only on CD11 now so fingers crossed it's sooner, that way I can also test sooner than June 27th!

Jax, may indeed need to invest in some, ummmmm, herbs with aphrodisiac properties for DH. I'm the frisky one right now :rofl:

:hi: newmarriedgal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->