June bugs 2012! 6x Boys 12x Girls 8x Team Yellow :)

Re the boss thing...i told my boss at 8 weeks (that was the say i projectile vomited and everyone was like oooh maybe it's morning sickness). I told the boss just to shut him up as he was ringleader and he has been great since.

He has already told me though that there is no way i can go back to my role part time. I have a friend in HR and she said he can't say that to me already and he has to at least consider my position and i can even be flexible and offer a compromise in which case i think he would also need to compromise but i'm kinda not gonna worry about it just yet!
My HR friend has a boss who has 2 kids and she is working 2.5 days a week on full pay (because she's the HR manager and she just can!)....the caveat to that agreement though is that she has her work phone on 5 days a week for emergencies etc!!! Nice....it's alright for some innit!!

I really wish we could afford for me to stay off work for a few years (wouldnt we all i guess!)

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm

PS can't stop looking at my scan pic and grinning from ear to ear!!!

Your friend is right (I have a degree in HR :) ) When you have children under 5, you have the right to request flexible working, including working part time. When the time comes, you have to make an application in writing. Your work have to then consider your application and can only refuse if they come up with a good, valid business reason why not. They can't just say "coz you can't" or " we can't recruit anyone else" They have to say why not. And there isn't very often a good reason why, as it's quite easy to recruit someone to job share for most jobs. Obviously it depends on the job and the company and what is deemed as a 'reasonable' adjustment, but they can't just say "no", especially not now before you've made your application and put forward what you want to do.

hth x

Emzy, is it right that my employer isn't paying me for pregnancy related time off? X

Totally separate question:

Does anyone else feel like they are in a constant dream-like state?
I was just about to email my friend who i haven't seen for weeks and then had a total mind blank of what am i writing to her about and why and what can i say....couldn't think of anything to write!

Maybe it's because i haven't really been up to much and life has been taken over secretly by all things baby but i literally have nothing to say to her.

I am feeling like my brain isn't working and like i am a robot typing this as i speak.

Please tell me other people feel like this.

Example: a colleague asks your opinion on sthg because they know you always have an opinion on work stuff. Your mind goes blank and can't really think about what your opinion is because the thoughts you're having aren't really there or they are all jumbled up and you can't make sense of them.

Is this normal? Hormones? Baby brain? tiredness???

Help someone before i declare myself completely insane......

Baby brain! And it never went away for me :haha:

Gemgem no you shouldn't need to give any blood again unless the need arises. Just take a urine sample to each appointment.

Last time I got my bounty folder and breastfeeding stuff at the appointment after the scan.

Gemini :hugs: Why don't you see if you can get some time off? Do you have any annual leave? Or maybe see the doctor for a note? Can't have you feeling like that x

Do you mean for appointments? They don't have to pay you but they have to give you the time off. If it's for sickness, then if they usually give sickpay then they have to x

Had my booking in yesterday, chuffed to have notes! I'm being taken off midwife care and going to consultant care. Something to do with me being on beta blockers for my heart and as I've had a colposcopy?! Going to speak to work today, I'm so so stressed out and tired that the thought of going in today had me bawling down the phone to OH. Feel pretty depressed....x

Awww hunny.....i wish I could make you feel better hun.....I know exactly how it feels to be depressed as have suffered for years and it totally sucks.

If you can, just keep reminding yourself that it's ok to feel like this and that you and your baby are your priority. Your hormones are crazy all over and when we're tired EVERYTHING in life is skewed. There is nothing that can be put into perspective when we're tired and emotional especially with baby and work stresses. LIke i say try to prioritise and if it's difficult at work, try and confide in a couple of people you trust. If you feel like crying just excuse yourself and go to the loo. People will be wondering whats up but more out of concern than anything else. Politely ask people just to give you some space and that you'll talk about it when you're ready. That will hopefully allow you to get on with whatever you need to get on with.

Like one of the other girls said, if your duties need to change slightly then your employer are obliged to consider these things,

I do hope you feel better hun and pls feel free to PM me if the depression gets worse.....i'm not an expert but i do have years of experience (unfortunately!)

No, I would like a waterbirth but at the hospital. Are you thinking about having one Emma?

Re the boss thing...i told my boss at 8 weeks (that was the say i projectile vomited and everyone was like oooh maybe it's morning sickness). I told the boss just to shut him up as he was ringleader and he has been great since.

He has already told me though that there is no way i can go back to my role part time. I have a friend in HR and she said he can't say that to me already and he has to at least consider my position and i can even be flexible and offer a compromise in which case i think he would also need to compromise but i'm kinda not gonna worry about it just yet!
My HR friend has a boss who has 2 kids and she is working 2.5 days a week on full pay (because she's the HR manager and she just can!)....the caveat to that agreement though is that she has her work phone on 5 days a week for emergencies etc!!! Nice....it's alright for some innit!!

I really wish we could afford for me to stay off work for a few years (wouldnt we all i guess!)

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm

PS can't stop looking at my scan pic and grinning from ear to ear!!!

Your friend is right (I have a degree in HR :) ) When you have children under 5, you have the right to request flexible working, including working part time. When the time comes, you have to make an application in writing. Your work have to then consider your application and can only refuse if they come up with a good, valid business reason why not. They can't just say "coz you can't" or " we can't recruit anyone else" They have to say why not. And there isn't very often a good reason why, as it's quite easy to recruit someone to job share for most jobs. Obviously it depends on the job and the company and what is deemed as a 'reasonable' adjustment, but they can't just say "no", especially not now before you've made your application and put forward what you want to do.

hth x

Emzy - thanks for the advice.....very useful but unfortunately i suspect my role is one of those which can't really be done part time.
I work as a Facilities Manager for a large Bank (won't say which one or else i will make some enemies on here....although the credit crunch was nowt to do with me!!!!) and my role is to support the building and staff within those buildings whenever they are operational. Some are operational 24/7. It's not to say i work 24/7 of course but if there's an incident (comms issues/intruders/H&S/fire etc) out of normal hours then i am expected to have my phone on and respond accordingly (I must add at this point that i get paid to do 35 hours a week and get no overtime or on-call payment....it's just the expected norm). Doesn't happen very often but in core business hours i need to be there on hand to manage all the issues with the buildings on a day to day basis. The buildings in the estate are split equally between the team so if i wanted to do only 3 days a week, someone else would need to pick the other 2 days up. Because of the current situation with the Bank they are making redundancies (thankfully i believe due to my status i think i am fairly protected) so if i needed someone else to pick up my 2 days i wanted off it would mean doubling someone elses workload for 2 days of every week.

My plan was to suggest 2 days off a week but to keep those days flexible each week and if anything occurred in that time i could be contacted in an emergency. Most things that occur can wait until tomorrow....would only be big things like power outage or flood or something that couldn't wait!

Well i guess there's plenty of time to think about all of that....got to get to that point first i guess!!!

Anyone considering a home birth?

Hi Emma - Haven't even given it a thought....only because i think when it comes to it I will be so scared and anxious that i will need the reassurance and security of being in a hospital in case something went wrong........

I really don't think i could - would be way scary!!

Gemgem no you shouldn't need to give any blood again unless the need arises. Just take a urine sample to each appointment.

Last time I got my bounty folder and breastfeeding stuff at the appointment after the scan.

Gemini :hugs: Why don't you see if you can get some time off? Do you have any annual leave? Or maybe see the doctor for a note? Can't have you feeling like that x

Do you mean for appointments? They don't have to pay you but they have to give you the time off. If it's for sickness, then if they usually give sickpay then they have to x

Thanks Emzy that is such a relief as was not a nice experience last week!

Same Here Abic... working from home (well not much)
very cold, wrapped in a blanket... and can't seem to shift that horrible hangover feeling!
My brain seems ok but then I do not really have to interact much with people at the mo!
Been looking at travel systems instead of doing invoicing! At this rate we won't be getting any money in the business!

yeah maybe i need to get a blanket out too! I think because it's so overcast today too that doesn't help!

MIL just been round and I have sent her to sainsburys to get me tomato soup and ham for ham sandwiches! She said she craved tomato soup when she was pregnant!! I'm not sure it's a craving, more just an addiction (a bit like my peanut butter and chocolate addiction!!)

Hope you warm up soon!

I have turned off my other laptop so i can't look for loads of baby things.....my work laptop (this one) is really slow so no point opening more than one internet window at any one time!)

What does everyone else do for a job?

Who is planning on going back to work? If so full or part time??

Also - how long is everyone planning on having off?

I'm hoping to have the full 12 months off but will depend on the money situation of course!!!

I'm a Facilities Manager working for a big Bank and I work 5 days a week and would like to go back 3 days a week!

I am very lucky, we have our own personal training business and I do the admin from home (when i can be bothered!)
Otherwise I work part time at a vet practise (I will prob keep it as it's a day per week and great to get my pet's food cheaper!)
I am also a baby and pet photographer, but that's more as and when I have bookings- usually a couple of baby shoots a month (I prob will have more once I join an NCT group!)
I am so Jel... as I am going private, no one is giving me a bounty pack :( I need to ask my OB and maybe when I go to my GP for my flu jab I will ask them if they can get me one...

I am an Employment Consultant for an IT Taining company. I basically help 16-24 year olds find work after the course. My manager has said I can come back part time (3 days a week) but we can't really afford for me to do that at the moment unfortuantely :(

My Dad used to be a facilities manager for a big (american) bank and now he is a big wig for AIG!

I work part time, 6-10pm 5 days a week as an Admin Officer for the Tax Office. I basically tidy up peoples tax accounts and issue refunds, etc. I started in July this year and it is a fixed term contract until the end of March. So I will leave at the end of March and go straight on maternity leave on Maternity Allowance for the full 10 months. Then I am not going back to work at all. Well maybe a small Saturday job, but not 20 hours a week like this one. It's been really hard looking after Holly all day then going to work and it's hard on my husband as he gets home from work and immediately I leave, so he has to give Holly her tea, bath her, put her to bed etc. We don't get to see each other much during the week, as we pass like ships in the night and he's in bed when I get home from work (at about 11.30pm).

As for home births, I'm not really that keen on the idea as if something went wrong then I'd like the security of knowing I'm in the hospital. What if baby gets distressed and I needed an emergency c section or something? I dunno. Last time I wanted a water birth in hospital but it didn't work out that way but I still delivered normally. And that's my aim this time, to deliver normally in hospital! Hopefully I won't tear so much this time!

Euro if you sign up with bounty online they can post you the packs. I ended up with 2 of everything last time somehow, as I got mine in hospital/at my appointments, etc but it didn't register online that I picked them up, so this lady delivered me them at home as well lol

https://www.bounty.com/landingppcwe...tent=2130011&gclid=CLXIpbzQqawCFUtC4QodVg2A7A

OK....i registered with Bounty a few weeks ago and nothing has come thru.....

:-( :-( :-(

I am a recruitment consultant. For now.... Turned up at work and completely Brie down he second my ass hit the chair. They've sent me home but the stress of knowing I won't be paid is making it worse. OH turned up as they sent me home to give me a hug, ended up crying so hard I was sick in the car park! Thing is its not even sickness, just utter exhaustion and stress! Work are arranging for me to see an occupational therapist, not that I knw what that really means!

I did sign up with them but did not see how to get them posted, will have to have a look again! Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->