June bugs 2012! 6x Boys 12x Girls 8x Team Yellow :)

i havent even thought about shopping for hospital clothes or packing a bag yet.. i just thought it was too early? what kind of bag is suitable for a hospital bag? like a back pack? or a suit case? also what should you bring? i dont wanna end up bringing a load of things i wont actually use? any tips ladies :D

Last time I took 2 holdals but this time I'm going to take a small suitcase on wheels. I reckon I had my bag packed by 30 weeks last time, just in case! I unpacked it and repacked it so many times after that!! Things Off the top of my head...

For baby:
Couple of babygrows and vests
Hat
Scratch mits
Cardigan (for going home)
Coming home outfit
Nappies
Wipes/cotton wool
Nappy sacks

For you:
Something to wear in labour
Drinks and snacks
Hair bobbles
Hair brush
Socks
Water spray
Tens machine if using
Loads of maternity pads
few pairs Old knickers
PJs- couple of pairs in case of leaks
Something to wear home
Toiletries shampoo, showergel, tootpaste, etc
Dressing gown
Slippers
Magazine
Camera and batteries
Phone charger

If I think of anything else I'll add!

Emzy you are so organised!!
When I packed my hospital bag last time, everyone was telling me i'd packed way too much but as I ended up staying in for 5 days I didn't have enough! It's fine if you forget something, cos obviously somebody can bring stuff for you, but i'd say the basics would be:

For you-
A nightie for the birth (maybe a couple) and pjs for after (dark bottoms as Emzy has said!)
Dressing gown and slippers
Toiletry bag with toothbrush and toothpaste, flannels to keep you cool, wipes, lip balm, deodrant, shower gel and whatever else you think you need!
Maternity pads - don't get normal pads cos you will be suprised how much you will bleed!
Big knickers and nursing bra
Breast pads
comfy clothes to come home in

For baby -
Nappies
Wipes
At least 3 vests and sleepsuits
Blanket
outfit to come home in
Bottles and formula if bottle feeding

We had hat and mittens and snowsuit with Grace, but obviously will be warmer this time so shouldn't need all that!

You also will need camera, snacks to keep you going, and a book if you are gonna be waiting long!
Hope this helps :)

Think we covered everything between us!! I forgot breast pads and lip balm! Defo lip balm as gas and air makes your lips so dry! Also straws are good to drink with. And I wouldn't recommend fizzy, sugary drinks. I had tango and threw up everywhere! I'll prob take water/favoured water this time. take more drinks than you think.

Oh and change for parking/phone and money for oh to get snacks and drinks as they don't get fed!

pps I'm a bit of an organised freak, like to have stuff done waaay in advance lol

Yes straws is a good one! I went mad at poor dh cos he was trying to give me a drink and kept pouring in all down me lol so they all went on a mission to find a straw! And yes lip balm is a must and also moisturiser, the hospital gives me really dry skin so it's nice to have some moisture :haha:

I haven't even thought about any of this stuff yet :wacko: I still have an awful lot to get as well.

thanks emzy and babyd the list is long but i know its all useful stuff, if i forget anything my oh can always get it from the shopping center which is right across from the hospital..

about the dressing gown.. its gonna be summer and i assume hot inside the hospital so will i just get a cheap thin one? i have a huge fluffy one at home but i dont want it damaged by blood is that likely to happen?

To be honest I think I just took in a long cardi with me when I was in, your temperature goes up and down when you are in labour so I would say you definitely need something! You could prob pick up a cheap cotton one from a supermarket or Primark (not sure if you have a Primark tho!)

I took a cheap thin one but didnt really use it as it was boiling in the maternity ward. It's more to preserve your modesty when going to and from the shower/toilet and as babyd says when actually in labour if you get cold. I actually just laboured and gave birth in the vest top I wore to the hospital, I didn't bother getting changed into the nightie I took!

Evening everyone, hope you are all doing well.

Cant believe im now into the double digits this week, getting scarily close too quickly.

Think we have decided on names, although these probably aren't the final ones we are pretty close. We like Olivia Paige for a girl and William James for a boy. We do have about 6 other girls names and one other boys name so hoping its more than likely going to be a girl lol

It's great everyone is buying/aquiring things for baby. Ive seen loads of things I like but having to be good as until we get the house sold we are broke :( Think I will manage to get a few clothing bits this month so I can pack the hospital bag by 30 weeks (im usually super organised and want that all squared away, going to kill me not getting the nursery all done before baby arrives), the car seat will also be installed in a few weeks all ready, but also to take advantage of the parent and child spaces as now starting to get difficult getting out of a normal space, with bump getting in the way and me taking up more room to get out of the car when my inner legs are hurting lots. Just mainly pleased I have the moses basket so at least they have somewhere to sleep when they first come home. Just debating on whether the sheets and blankets im planning to get are a good idea or not. not sure if im keen on the sleeping bags when they are so little.

Glad you got the boots Abi, they are lovely, i have some leather ones similar and are so comfy.

as for monitors, we have chosen one of the tomy ones, has all the features we want and a few friends have got them and really recommend them. defo not going for the mat ones as friends have had them and only used them for a week or so before getting very irritated. i plan to check on baby regularly anyways and do all the recommended things to try my very best to make sure baby is safe etc. also as i have sleep apnoea myself will be looking out to make sure baby doesnt have it as i developed it when i was born although i was 3 months prem so maybe that has something to do with it.

So sorry to hear about your loss kelly, massive hugs for you x

thanks for putting the list ideas for what to pack for hospital, i have started compiling a list to tick off as ive got them, and will start by emptying my small suitcase and holdall for baby and putting it in babys room to pack over the next few weeks.

for those worrying about movements, i still gets days where i dont feel much. i.e. today i havent felt much at all, but was woken up at 3:30am and couldnt get to sleep til about 5am thanks to flump kicking me the whole time. defo wasnt fun that time in the morning and then couldnt get comfy. so they must have proper tired themselves out as only got about 2/3 kicks at about lunchtime so i know they are fine. oh well, after a knackering long day at work at least i can have an early night and take advantage of the bed to myself for a few hours with hubster out at a mess dinner this evening til late.

ladies.. just gutted.. a lady i am friends on here for 2 years has just lost her twins.. totally gutted for her.. :cry:

oh that's terrible :cry: Your poor friend, I hope she is ok x

Really sorry about your friend Redrose- I guess that twins at 27 weeks are smaller than one baby at 27 weeks. How tragic.

All this talk of packing bags for the hospital caused me to have a really vivid dream last night. The baby was born (it was a boy) and we didn't have anything at all for him. We were running round the worst stocked supermarket ever, trying to pick up stuff like nappies, cotton wool, vests and babygrows etc. I woke up feeling really stressed out!
What is strange is that the baby had been born but I didn't dream about the labour bit!!
Think I may need to get some stuff sorted so that I don't have another night like that!
xx

Oh god I had a dream last night that the baby was 14lb!! I know he will be big, but hopefully not that big!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->