June jewels 2018!!!!

So sorry to hear that pg.

I didnt think my mw would try for the hb especially since I was only 14+5 but she offered to have a go and found it straight away.

So sorry about your sister PG, how far along is she? I'm surprised the doctor was so callous! And I've heard of a few midwives who do that - mine started trying @ 9 weeks but couldn't find it until my next appointment at nearly 14 weeks. I bought a little home one for $20 off Craigslist and I find it reassuring.

So I have a little story for you guys - I've been worrying like a crazy person about incompetent cervix, mostly because it sounds so horrible and I'm shocked they don't test for it earlier than 20 weeks, and last night I had really sharp shooting pains in my vagina, so I was kind of freaking out. They were enough to make me wince they were quite painful, so I get it in my head that maybe I'm dilating and I don't even know. I debated for a long time if I should go to the ER or if this was normal (it was nearly midnight) and after reading that a ton of people get similar pain - and discovering lightening crotch (lol) - I decided to just do a really quick check to make sure. I know it's a big no no to check your cervix during pregnancy, but I figured if it was open I should go to the hospital, plus, a penis has more germs than a freshly clean finger - so I was super gentle and careful and my cervix was fine - high, firm and closed. I also didn't try and put my finger into the opening, which is where I'm guessing that fear of infection comes in.

Anyways now I'm worried I did a bad thing by checking it. It helped me to stay calm and sleep, plus the pains are totally gone this morning, but seriously the anxiety that comes with being pregnant is very overwhelming at times.

I can't go back now, and I probably will never do it again - but do you think I did any damage checking up there?

Sander - I have done the same thing. With my mc earlier this year, I check because i was spotting and had a similar post like you in the pregnancy group I was in then. I hadn’t been pregnant for so long that I was sure what it was supposed to feel like. I have also checked this time when I had spotting about a week ago. Now I know what my crevix should have felt like earlier this year. Super high, soft, closed although I did feel a little indention where the opening is, but it’s also my second baby. Earlier this year it was firm and def a bit open. I felt so guilty afterwards earlier this year, but like you said it’s fine to have sex and if you thouroghly washed your hand I think there is nothing to worry about. It probably isn’t good to do it regularly. Remember also you have a mucus plug for the exact reason to keep germs out. Don’t stress. And I am totally with you, I don’t get why we are offered risk assessment scans like the NT scan, but no one checks the cervix. When that is a loss that as far as I know can be prevented with a cerclage.

I don't think there will be any damage Sander, the body is designed to be fairly tough and when I have sex my OH sometimes knocks into my cervix a little.
You did it gentle and carefully so I think it should be all good but if you do get any pain then you could always check with your midwife.

My midwife said I'm fine to go for a smear whilst pregnant, but the midwife at the hospital said not to.

It does seem to be a stressful time at the moment. I think with all the extra Christmas stuff you do means we probably do more lifting /standing /walking and less relaxing which is causing additional pain. I've had quite a bit of heavy feeling down low but then I thought back through today and realised I haven't really sat down since I woke up.

Don’t worry sander, I’m sure it’ll be ok and you’ve done no harm. I don’t think it’s too common to suffer with incompetent cervix.

I have to get a transvaginal scan to check my cervix around 18 weeks because of the risk of preterm labour with a bicornuate uterus. I don’t really want it, I didn’t have it with my first but there you go!

Mom15 have you not been offered a cervix check with your bicornuate?

Thanks guys, today it's been all good and I'm really hoping not to bother my midwife over the holidays - assuming everything stays good I'll ask her about it at my appointment in just over a week :)

I'm trying to keep busy so I don't go crazy haha

Sander, don't worry about checking your cervix, especially if you were gentle and your hands were clean. I've had preterm labor due to my Irritable Uterus, (which means I'll sometimes have contractions 2-3 minutes apart for hours, all throughout my pregnancy), so if I didn't learn how to check my cervix, I'd be going to L&D every day to get checked. As it is, I've never had an infection from checking, and have gotten so proficient at it that I can tell how many centimeters and how effected (it always matches what the doctor says).

Feeling little bittys kicks and punches! Seems so early at 14 weeks. I didnt feel my dd until i was 15 1/2 weeks.

Baby kicks are THE best :cloud9:

I'm feeling mine a bit more even when I'm not laying down still. Love it!

Fxmummy - when I go for my level two scan they will check it. And yes, I believe they do both transvaginal and abdominal. I need to call my OB, because I don’t remember if I need to make the appointment or if they will contact me to schedule it. I checked with my insurance and I didn’t find a single perinatologist that is in my insurance network. I don’t get it, paying $1100 a month this year, $1300 next year for three of us should include one you would think.

God, insurance is so expensive mom!
In the UK I think I lose about £400 from my salary each month for national insurance and my OH the same. The NHS isn't great but luckily it's affordable for everyone.

I'm loving the movement too! I started getting quite a bit the last couple of weeks. It makes me feel much calmer (though I'm still a stress head)

I've just dropped my DD to her dad's. He has her tonight and tomorrow morning then I have her the rest of Christmas day and boxing day. I feel pretty sad saying goodbye this year, it feels difficult but I guess that's the difficulty of split families

How exciting for those feeling movement!

Sorry to hear about your sister, PG.

Merry Christmas ladies!

Sander, don't you worry. I get the lightning crotch too. It's normal. This is your first, right? When you dialate it feels totally different than the sharp pain. It's......bad lol. I know you can dialate a bit without feeling it towards the end but I think you do actually feel it....it's very achy and you get bloody show and lots of mucus.

I have not checked my cervix since giving birth the first time. I'm way too scared, I don't even use tampons anymore!!!! Just weirded out now.

BUT we did have sex this week for the first time sine BFP (like actual sex) and it hurt every time he thrust, really not that enjoyable, I'm sure he was hitting my cervix. Also just sore in general and hurt after. I thought for sure I'd spot but I didn't thank goodness. Anyways, if sex is safe a finger has to be safe.....

PG, how far along was your sister? I'm so very sorry. Also, I'm sure you miss DD. :hugs:

Ooh super jealous for all of the movement. I'm 17 weeks today I often get movement I THINK is baby but I've only been sure-sure a handful of times.

Allie, yes this is our first :) Glad I'm not the only one haha, although it has been a lot better - I've heard though the lightening will strike more often the farther along we get :(

I'm feeling movement too - the past couple days I'm finding it's more feeling like distinguishable kicks and less like gas bubbles, so crazy! I drank some orange juice and the baby really went nuts. DH can't wait to feel it too, so far he can't feel anything from the outside.

Today when I was laying down and thought I felt movement I quickly grabbed the doppler and indeed she was right where I felt movement. I'm so bad at distinguishing the movements for certain!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!!

Missing the next sale today because of this little one, after Christmas with our 3 kids and being pregnant I'm beat.:shrug:

Oh yes, Christmas tired me out. I can't even fathom the shops haha.

I think the only Christmas shopping I could manage would be online. I can barely stay awake at night.

My sister wasn't sure how far gone as her scan said 5 1/2 weeks but with a heartbeat but her dates from finding out she was pregnant had been 7 weeks already. I'm worried she's not well, she said she was upset and wanted to punish her body so she was going on a mega diet and exercise regime in the new year. She had been trying for a year.

I hope that when the hormones settle and with a bit of time she will be calmer. Guys just don't understand.

I hope everyone has had a nice Christmas? Mines been lovely but I'm exhausted! I'm going to have a bath and settle down for the evening.

Not so bad here, a nice quiet Christmas. Unfortunately I've come down with an illness today --- fever, cough, aches--- I am worried it's the flu. Medicine is keeping my fever down and I will call in the morning (my ob). It sucks, I hate worrying about the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->