Kids and employment

louandivy

Reaction score
I have an interview in 2 hours for a marketing assistant job at an independent cinema and live music venue. It's only 25 hours a week but requires being flexible with working hours and has had a lot of applicants. Flexible working hours isn't a problem with me as I have a lot of people around me to help with Childcare and ivy is at preschool or 2 and a half days a week but I'm not sure whether to mention I have a kid during the interview :wacko: my bf thinks it might be an advantage as they put on kids events there too but I don't know if that would be considered a massive advantage over someone who doesn't have those kind of outside commitments, but then I don't know if it's kind of sneaky to not mention it?

What do you guys reckon? I don't think I'll get it but I want to give it my best shot, I'm sooo nervous I might be sick argh!

I think its fine to mention ivy if it comes up but I don't think I would randomly bring her up. It shouldn't matter either way anyway.

I wouldn't mention it and I'm pretty sure legally they can't ask.

I'd only mention her if they directly ask, I'd not volunteer that I had a child. Good luck xx

Don't mention her - i didn't mention dd1 when i was interviewing for jobs and it was fine when i told my employers when i already had the job offer. It's not legal to ask if you have any children.
Good luck!

I wouldn't mention it either. Good luck x

I'd mention if it was relevant to a question or something.
Xx

I would only mention it, if it comes up as something YOU bring up - legally you cannot ask about children etc in an interview. It shouldn't hurt you if you do bring her up, but I wouldn't actively volunteer that information as some employers can be a bit funny about it.

For instance I know that someone in my company would probably avoid hiring someone with a child in the future because of a bad experience with someone before - unfair, yes, but if you have had a bad experience before it will probably cloud your judgement (for instance this person was off A LOT because either they or their child was sick, it felt like it was at least once a week).

I recently had an interview, I did mention I had children but only because something came up for to mention them. Having children shouldn't matter to them but like others have said I don't think they're allowed to ask outright anyway.
Good luck :flower:

A couple of years ago I mentioned ds1 in an interview for a large well known company. They didn't ask but it came up in conversation. This job was full time (oh is a sahd) and was for a.very similar job to what I already had but the hours were longer. Before the interview they made a huge point about the hours so I knew them well.and was happy.as there was a pay increase and we were happy we could make it work. Anyway after the interview the man goes oh u said u had a child, I said yes and he says are you looking for the part time.role, I said no full time. I never got the job. I can't help but wonder if that had something to do with it so no I wouldn't volunteer that information again

How did you get on?

I know it's too late now but as others have said, you're not legally obliged to tell them and it's illegal for them to ask. It's also illegal to ask your marital status since it could be construed as trying to identify if you'll be planning maternity leave, it comes under sexual discrimination. I did training course on it a few years ago as I was going to be interviewing candidates.

Despite being illegal and immoral I do think there are plenty of interviewers who would avoid someone with kids if there was another suitable candidate without kids. It's wrong but I think it happens a lot so I wouldn't mention it upfront.

off topic but nearly every web application goes on to ask you martial status, sex, sexual orientation & religion. you can choose not to answer the questions but I feel if you dont they may think your hiding something.

Also my kids have turned up in every interview as I was made redundant whilst on Mat leave...so I feel i have to explain why I am only starting to look for work now 5 months after leaving employment.

But hope your interview went well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"