Ladies who are 40+

Dawn2411

Mom of 2 girls and 2 boys
Reaction score
I was reading online somewhere that 1in2 women my age ( just turned 40) will misscarry. I have lost my last 3 pregnancies and was told each time it is due to my age. I have 4 children and no m/c's until after my last child so I tend to believe that my age is the problem. I was just wondering if the odds i read are really true. How many of you ladies are 40+, have other children with no m'c problems when you were younger then suffered more than 1 m/c at a later age and are now preggo again with a bean that is doing good. I just want to know that I have a chance here because even my doctor is saying the chances of having another baby at my age are very low:cry:

I did read something similar to what you have said, and it is certainly more difficult the older you get. Though I am 41, this will be my first child, after experiencing a miscarriage at 35 and trying to conceive for over 8 years with no success......As soon as we 'gave up', a few months later I was pregnant.....cautiously optimistic due to our history and thus far have had a wonderful pregnancy....

Best of luck to you, and while statistically the chances may be low, there are many of us here who have defied those odds.:flower:

I had a mc in Dec 2010 (2nd pregnancy) aged 40 and now due to give birth a week after my 42nd birthday! A friend of mine just give birth aged 43 after having 3 mc in a row and having no problem with her first pregnancy, so there's always hope.
Good luck :flower:

Thank you ladies. I love hearing success stories and it gives me some hope. Good luck to both of you:)

I'm 41 yrs old, and am in wk 32 of my pregnancy. This pregnancy has gone very well, as well as my other three. My youngest child is 7, so it's been awhile. I have had no problems, even though I went into my pregnancy a bit overweight.

I did have a mc 5 yrs ago, there was no reason for it. Just one of those things.

I'm sorry for you mc's. And wish you all the luck if you are trying again.

Dorian, thank you and i'm so glad to hear another success story. Good luck to you and btw, I love your avatar lol.

I'm 41 and 27 weeks pregnant with baby boy #4 :). Our boys are 16, 15 & 12.....so, suffice it to say, it has been a LOOONNNNNGGGGG time!

I did have a miscarriage in 1998.

Hang in there....best of luck to you and your family.

Thank you mtnprotracy and best of luck to you too. Your going to have your own football team lol.

Dorian, thank you and i'm so glad to hear another success story. Good luck to you and btw, I love your avatar lol.

:) you're welcome Dawn. I hope yours will be a success story too. LOL, thanks. I saw that picture on a craft blog somewhere and just HAD to have it.

I am 44 and started trying for my first 10 months ago so this is my first pregnancy. I also saw that stat about 50% but I read it was for those over 42 I think. Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment. I wish you the best of luck :hugs:

Thank you butterfly and congrats to you:) Do you ladies mind if I ask if you used anything to improve your chances like preseed, certain vits. etc..?

Thanks Dawn, I took maca for 6 months before, 2 months of royal jelly and bee pollen 3 months before, and used soft cups and conceive plus :thumbup: Oh and EPO for the first half of my cycle.

I am 44 and had my first child 11 days ago! I did develop pre-eclampsia in wk 36 (hypertension from wks 32-36), but that can come at any age.

I had an mc in 2009 (age 41) and my husband and I decided to do IVF -- in the pre-IVF tests, it was discovered that I had an underactive thyroid and PCOS, so took metformin and Eltroxin from 2010/11 onwards. I also lost weight, quit smoking, healthy eating and gentle exercise; I did acupuncture from January to May of last year and got pregnant naturally in June. In this pregnancy, everything was normal until around wk32, but I think we succeeded this time as I was probably the healthiest I had been in years.

Don't let the statistics scare you -- if 40-50% mc, that means 60-50% succeed!

best wishes

Thank you butterfly and congrats to you:) Do you ladies mind if I ask if you used anything to improve your chances like preseed, certain vits. etc..?

Dawn, no, my dh and I weren't really trying, we just weren't preventing either. It took 4 yrs from my mc to get pg again.

We didn't use anything to try and improve our chances - in fact, we gave up trying.....and my husband was only home for 4 days last July when we conceived, so to us it really was an amazing unexpected surprise! And over the last year my cycles were getting shorter and shorter (from 27 days to 22-23 days) and I know that we conceived on CD 8 or 9.

Congrats sabrinacat! How exciting:) Thank you all for sharing your stories with me and for the words of encouragement. I am using a prenatal vitamin, 350mg of dha, 100mg of coq10, 500mg. of omego 3 fish oil and i'm using progesterone from o to about 3 days before a/f. I have hubby taking mens multi vitamin, 30mg, of coq10, 1200 mg. of omega3 fish oil and a fruit and veggi pronutrients supplement. I'm also going to start using preeseed and i'm not sure what else yet lol. I just had my 3rd m/c last mo. and they say you are very fertile after a m/c so hopefuly we will have luck again soon:)

Best of luck Dawn! Sending positive thoughts and well wishes your way!

Absolutely good luck - the stories here show that it CAN happen!

I did take folic acid, omega 3 and a multivitamin whilst trying. The acunpuncturist recommended all these Chinese herbs for 'infertility' (in a tea), but they actually made me sick to my stomach, so I did a combination, I suppose, of the best of eastern and western treatments.

best wishes

I'm 41 and pregnant with my first. I've had a very easy pregnancy, so far (besides some SPD pain). Good luck to you all! :hugs:

Wow, so many success stories! Thank you all so much for sharing and good luck to you all:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->