• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ladies who are 40+

hi ladies
really sympathise with you all, and wanted to join the conversation as I'm going slightly nuts myself. I'm 42 and have conceived first time with IVF. I'm 10 weeks tomorrow but have not had a scan or test since the 7 week heartbeat scan (which was all fine) however its a long time to the 12 week scan and my symptoms have faded a lot so I'm really worried something may have happened. I'm still on progesterone and as the symptoms from that mimic pregnancy (I had everything except nausea before 8 weeks) its hard to know what is going on.. but i just don't "feel pregnant". Should l ask for more tests or just wait the 2 weeks? I think I've read that home pregnancy tests won't work now. It's wierd but i feel that because it's my first pregnancy, the Docs are not taking my age (and the risk of miscarriage) as seriously. Like they won't do extra tests until i miscarry or spot or something.. but i just have this feeling that's hard to explain ..things feel too normal. Anyone else feel this at 10 weeks?

Good luck with your scan Kiseki.

Makeawish, lol, yah, if you don't hear from me for a few days, you'll know why! I don't have a cell phone and we only have one laptop, so that wont be going to the hospital with me. So I wont be able to post while I'm at the hospital.

Hi Caro, welcome to the board. And good luck. I hope all is well. I'm trying to remember when I started feeling 'normal'. All my pregnancies have been easy going, no morning sickness and such. So I never really 'felt' pg, until baby was moving around a lot. Anyways...I hope that is the case for you. Everything is just settling into a growing a baby, so you aren't feeling much. I know it's really hard to wait for a scan. And I don't think you can hear the heart beat on a doppler just yet, unless it's an internal. ((HUGS))

hi ladies
really sympathise with you all, and wanted to join the conversation as I'm going slightly nuts myself. I'm 42 and have conceived first time with IVF. I'm 10 weeks tomorrow but have not had a scan or test since the 7 week heartbeat scan (which was all fine) however its a long time to the 12 week scan and my symptoms have faded a lot so I'm really worried something may have happened. I'm still on progesterone and as the symptoms from that mimic pregnancy (I had everything except nausea before 8 weeks) its hard to know what is going on.. but i just don't "feel pregnant". Should l ask for more tests or just wait the 2 weeks? I think I've read that home pregnancy tests won't work now. It's wierd but i feel that because it's my first pregnancy, the Docs are not taking my age (and the risk of miscarriage) as seriously. Like they won't do extra tests until i miscarry or spot or something.. but i just have this feeling that's hard to explain ..things feel too normal. Anyone else feel this at 10 weeks?

Hi Ladies
Last Nov I had my first (and only) baby boy at the age of 41. I have been where you are trust me! Anyways Caro I wanted to respond to you, at 10 weeks pregnancy many symptoms start to decline because the baby is starting to survive strictly off of the placenta! I am sure all is fine. Isn't the waiting simply excruciating? Good luck to all of you ladies and happy healthy pregnancies to you all!

well done for first little one at 41 that's an inspiration to me, as are all you over 40s mums. I'm so glad to be (hopefully) doing it now, xx

hi ladies

Hi caro303, I still feel like even though Im 17 weeks this week and have a doppler. Everytime I eat takeaway or outside the house I worry that the salad isnt cooked and I have got Listeria etc... so its completely normal esp when you want this little one so much!! I'm even afraid to gossip or get excited about it incase I bring bad luck around myself. The pg test wont work due to prozone effect where there is so much hormone it will saturate the test and give a false negative!! Dopplers work from 12 weeks and even then not always easy to detect so early. They prob not scanning you because more things that go wrong up to 12 weeks are genetic and unpreventable. Also you will have a scan and be great for that day and next start you start to worry again that you have had a mmc. Just relax and enjoy xx

Hi Ladies,

Just think positive cos at the end of the day this is all out of your hands, whatever is meant to be will be.....Keep busy and happy and remember this is your time to be spoilt cos once this little one arrives it will be all about them and you will be so tired you wont give much thought to yourself. Visit friends and enjoy the freedom and have lots of early nights cos you wont have them for a while!!! lol x

Hi Ladies,

Just think positive cos at the end of the day this is all out of your hands, whatever is meant to be will be.....Keep busy and happy and remember this is your time to be spoilt cos once this little one arrives it will be all about them and you will be so tired you wont give much thought to yourself. Visit friends and enjoy the freedom and have lots of early nights cos you wont have them for a while!!! lol x

Very true. And you know what, I found I just got really tired of worrying so much for the time being. These are actually very happy and exciting times, regardless if the worst were to happen.

thanks for your comments and the info makeawish. It's true I had concinced myself that they wouldn't find anything at the 7 week scan and there it was a heathy HB and the rest! That reassured me for about... what was it now.. maybe a week tops! then i got all worried about the symptoms fading. It's crazy, I guess it shows just how much i want this.. I've wanted kids since my 20s and it's been a long old journey getting here... I do meditate sometimes so i think I'll give that a shot again and try to put my trust in the universe.. there really is nothing more I can do (apart from everything I'm doing eating healthily vits exercise etc).

Funny you should say about visiting friends, I'm doing loads of that.. I've got a couple of weeks off work and I've come back to my (adopted) home town and have scheduled different friends in everyday..its lush! Only thing is they all want to know how the IVF went .. so I tell them,then they get excited, and I then i have to tell them it's not sure yet... so then i end up talking about it, and thinking about it, and then back online! ha ha what a state!

right I'm off to sit on a cushion and try to calm this overly anxious mind of mine.

Hi Ladies,

Had a really stressful week at work but been reassured by lots of baby movement....the only thing that calms me. In the middle of trying to toilet train my toddler, be there for my 6 year old who is having her usual alfa female problems at school and helping my 19 year old (autistic) gain his independence now he is working in his first part-time job. Work is really busy and they tryin to get me to work a 4 day week instead of 3 but at 40 and pg, im exhausted as it is. keep me posted on your progress, and good luck xx

Well I have switched doctors and I think I finally have one that is supportive of me ttc. I had some testing done and it all came back fine but my doctor is going to refere me to a fs if I'm not preggo again soon and he will do more testing that my doctor isn't qualified to do and possibly put me on clomid. Meanwhile I'm just trying to relax and not stress on ttc so much but at the same time I am doing everything I can think of to get preggo. My hubby just shakes his head and smiles when I stick my legs on the wall after we bd lol. Good luck everyone and thank you all so much for sharing your stories:):)

Hi Dawn 2411, Goodluck ttc and remember to enjoy yourself and not get too stressed!!

hi make a wish - sounds like you've got your hands and head full. Glad to hear all well inside tho - hope the demands on you ease up a bit x

hi make a wish - sounds like you've got your hands and head full. Glad to hear all well inside tho - hope the demands on you ease up a bit x

Hi cara303, Yes I sure am busy most of the time but then that keeps me from killng my other half cos he is so insensitive most of the time!! lol This keeps me busy and gives him a role in my life cos I'm very independent and know exactly what I want and can do most jobs myself. I just adore my children after growing up an only child to a single mother who just never grew up and knew nothing about parenting. I'm a one man band providing my own support, advice and motivation. Bring it on!! lol

Hi cara303, Yes I sure am busy most of the time but then that keeps me from killng my other half cos he is so insensitive most of the time!! lol This keeps me busy and gives him a role in my life cos I'm very independent and know exactly what I want and can do most jobs myself. I just adore my children after growing up an only child to a single mother who just never grew up and knew nothing about parenting. I'm a one man band providing my own support, advice and motivation. Bring it on!! lol

Good for you! And keep it up girl!

Had a really rubbish day at work cos got so stressed. My stomach was in knots, i was having palpitations, red face and neck and had to go to bed once home, i felt sick with it all til just after 11 tonight. I assume its pregnancy that is causing this elevated level of stress, was reading up on affects of stress in pregnancy so need to calm down, easier said than done cos ive having constant bouts of road rage!! Are you expectant mothers with a busy lifestyle going through the same or is it just me????

I'm having to constantly calm myself down.. it's really not good for you or baby.. time to not care so much about outside world stuff, that's what i say. Easy to day, hard to do! Make sure you factor in time out as often as you can so you can calm down.

Im 42 and have 5 children, 4 boys aged 21, 20, 19 and 2yrs also a girl aged 5 months.

My first 3 boys i had in my 20s, 4th boy i had aged 40 then concieved again 7 months later, but i lost that one at 9 weeks, concieved again on my first AF i was 41 luckily that pregnancy was great and gave birth to my daughter. Yes i believe your more chance miscarrying when older, but ive read many a story of women on here miscarrying in their 20s :shrug:

I guess all we can do is hope and pray for a healthy pregnancy, good luck sweetie :hugs:

Hi Ladies,
Had my 20 week scan on friday and all appears to be going well!! Although baby slept all through the 20 minute scan and didnt empty its stomach or bladder so that sort of concerned me but a strong heartbeat remained throughout. Had its legs crossed under bottom so couldnt see what Im having, am being rescanned in 4 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->