Lakai's story

I just finally got caught up on your updates.. wow reading all of that is like reliving Angelynn's NICU journey. It almost brings tears to my eyes and definetely brings back all of my memories and feelings.
So pleased you got to hold him finally. That was hte most life changing and magical experience for me. I too hadn't held Angelynn for a month. It was very tough. But so well worth it.

Lakai is gorgeous and looks like he's doing very well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that he'll be home by the end of Jan. THanks for keeping us updated :hugs:

I told Nic I'd help keep this updated via cut and pasting her facebook updates, so she could come here and just enjoy herself. I am leaving pictures up to her, though, but I will say that the little guy is looking so awesome! So.......

December 11, 2008 Update 11:40pm
December 9:

Weight: 1070g
Gain: 19g
38 days
Corrected Age: 30 weeks (yay!)

December 10:

Weight 1080g
Gain: 10g
39 days
Corrected Age: 30 weeks 1 day

The last few days have been really good...if not great. I say that with cautious optimism. Yesterday Kyle had his first skin-to-skin with Lakai (pictures in the album "Cuddle Time"), they both did very well. Kyle was so nervous that you could see beads of sweat on his forehead. He really had nothing to be nervous about though, he was so careful and Lakai seemed to really enjoy it.

As did I, seeing my husband..my best friend..holding our son for the first time.

Kyle said "thank you" randomly while holding Lakai, I had to ask "What for?" and he replied "For Lakai"..I really didn't know what to say. "You're welcome" would have been the right choice and yet I was speechless. At first I was over come with emotion because it was so sweet and touching. And then guilt, because saying "you're welcome" felt more like saying "I'm sorry", Im sorry for you being in this situation with me and our son.

Back to the happier stuff...I have to admit I almost cried right along with Kyle when he first held Lakai. It was a very moving moment, Daddy holding his son for the first time. Knowing Kyle had given me to have two cuddles before he held Lakai, because he felt I needed it more than he did.

But clearly he needed just as much as I did. As did Lakai.

Other than that, nothing major happened which is a good thing when you are living your life with your baby in the NICU.

Today...

Weight: 1129g or 2lbs 7.82oz (1175g as of 11:13 pm tonight)
40 days old
Corrected Age: 30 weeks 2 days

I suppose one other major thing did happen yesterday and that was Lakai's latest head ultrasound. And today we received the results. The blood has almost all resolved on it's own, the doctor said there was "great improvement" and it was almost ALL gone. There is no swelling of the ventricles, the blood clot is not causing any issues and is resolving as well (and in only a rare case would it start cause problems at this point). And the best part? Where the blood is resolving there is no damage seen to the brain tissue beneath! Which is very good news..

Not to sound like a pessimist but I won't be holding my breath just yet and yet I still want to jump up and down and yell HOORAY!

The doctor said that it was the best outcome we could have hoped to see due to the past ultrasounds..how could you not be happy when you hear that?!

I also had a great cuddle with him today, we are starting to have a little routine down pat. And every thing is falling into place so smoothly and naturally. I have his "cues" down that's for sure. Like when he starts to wiggle his head around and scrunches his face up like his vent tube suddenly turned into a slice of lemon, means he probably needs to be suctioned or he is not comfortable in his position. If his oxygen starts to dip, he either needs a suction or has been woken up by a sound or a movement. A "shush shush" noise usually brings him back up if its the latter or rocking the glider chair in a different way.

Even his cues in the incubator are pretty clear these days...when he stiffens his arms and legs straight out and his little face turns red, he is over stimulated..either from sound, light or being touched. If he has his eyes open and tries (he doesn't have much eye control right now, though it gets better every day) to see you, he is open for interaction. But even when he does this, it is best to add only one source of stimulation at a time. For example, position your face where he could see you and if he reacts positively to that, then you can add voice stimuli. As preemies age they can handle more stimulation at once but until then it is better for them to have only what they can handle.

I think Lakai has gotten use too and recognizes my voice and his Dad's but he is still easily over stimulated by voices of people he does not hear as much. I assume this because he reacts very differently to our voices, then he will to "strange" voices. Even if it's a nurse or visitor he has seen repeatedly. Don't take it personally, it's just his preemie way and it's temporary!

When he makes fists, or a stop hand signal up by his face..chances are he is also over stimulated unless he is asleep and its just an involuntary movement.

It's very VERY easy to over stimulate preemies and I won't lie at first it did hurt my feelings. But the more you really think about it and consider the fact he has a very immature nervous system, you realize its not about you. It's not personal. And you need to respect that fact by giving him time to recover and "alone time".

Our skin-to-skin normally consists of him being awake for the beginning, which is when he tries really hard to look at me and usually sucks on his tube for a little bit. Today he was sticking his tongue out and licking my chest. I tried to explain to him that he was too young yet to start breast feeding and that wasn't really how you did it any ways. He still kept licking me..silly baby!

I guess his "Got Boob" onesie is fitting (or will be..) after all...sorry Grandma! I know you don't love that piece of clothing =)

It's amazing what a little or should I say big personality he has already. I think in some ways its lucky that I get to see so early what an amazing little person he is becoming and yet don't think I wouldn't have kept him inside my tummy longer given the choice.

In other news..I talked to another preemie mom today, in the pump room of course. I should say right now, I never thought I would be holding conversations with other people in person whist pumping breast milk. Then again I never thought I would have a baby. Or be in this situation. So it's fairly safe to say that I truly believe anything and everything will and does happen, especially when you least except it.

Any ways..the other mom and I talked about what a hard situation it is to be in and how much we grieved the loss of our pregnancies even though yes, we did have wonderful babies from it all. The grief is a very normal thing to feel for preemie moms. It's very common to grieve for the things you lost such as baby showers, baby announcements, belly casts, your birth plan and so on.

While yes, we may still get these things as preemie moms. I think it's safe to say for some things are put on "pause" because we are scared the very worst may happen and we almost distance ourselves from the attachment of these sacred baby rituals. Some moms (and dads) may even distance themselves emotionally from their baby's for this same reason.

And some of these things we just will never get to do, such as the belly casts..and belly photos.

And yet some how it probably makes us better parents. I hope so....?

It was nice to talk to someone who is going through the same situation and having the same feelings as I am. But my heart went out to her after she asked "How long have you been doing this for?" (in regards to pumping.. but really asking how long have you been here in the NICU) and I said 40 days...you could see the disappointment of reality in her face. Not for me, but for herself. Like she knew that she would be in my shoes in a few weeks...deep into the routine of having your baby in the NICU.

I think we all hold on to the secret hope, that our baby will be the one to over come all the odds and break out of the NICU long before their due dates. Or even a couple of weeks early would be nice. Heck I think most of us would throw parties if it happened days early.

We just called to do our nightly check up on Lakai and all is well. His blood gas was so good that they turned down his vent settings. And they plan to start weaning him from his vent tomorrow and the days to come. Plus his morphine is being weaned every second day as well.

On other news...I still have not settled on a nursery colour, which is really frustrating because I know we need to get it done soon because he is 10 weeks away from his due date, which means around when he would be coming home!

So it's something we need to decide on soon.

One thing I have decided is what nursery furniture I want. And while yes I know some of you might be thinking "you don't/won't need a crib for awhile yet or you may not even need a change table" the thing is..I haven't been able to enjoy many of the normal pregnancy things. Like I mentioned above. But having a beautiful nursery complete with all the trimmings is something I can do. I guess it just something I "need" to do.

Here's what I have picked...

Crib:

From TJ's Kids in Vancouver (Babies R' Us has it too..but TJ's costs less and is the same crib!)
Chelsea Stages Crib - Cognac

https://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?wh...rand=0&expand=categories&pagesize=5&item=4714

Change Table:

Congac colour as well.

https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2773593&cp=2583017&parentPage=family

Very nice.

Anyways...that's all I have to update with right now.

Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful support and good wishes! We appreicate it all so much! And it's working like a charm!

I'm so pleased Lakai is doing so well honey. it must be wonderful for you and Kyle to see him getting stornger and both be able to spend snuggle time with him.

I love the nursery furniture, it looks gorgeous, can't wait to see your nursery all decorated and ready for Lakai to come home to :hugs:

Thank you Penny! =)

Here's some recent pics!

https://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v807/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1553603_7292.jpg

https://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v807/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1553601_6792.jpg

https://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v807/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1560228_1167.jpg

Today...Can you BELIEVE the difference?! WOW!

https://photos-a.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v1204/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1569816_494.jpg

Just a refresher..

https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v376/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1441801_904.jpg

Jazz hands..

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1204/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1567093_9953.jpg

Oh wow!! what a huge change... just look at the difference in his legs, arms and face. He looks like he is doing great, what a cutie!

it's so nice to read your updates hun. You definetely go way more in depth than I did when I had Angelynn in there. You are a very strong mom and you are doing so well.
I love seeing those pics of lakai he is doing fabulous!! Looks like he's turning into a little chubber :D He's gorgeous :hugs:

Oh wow he is coming on leaps in bounds isn't he! Your nursery furniture is gorgeous - I would love to see a pic once you have finished the nursery?

I'm so pleased to hear he is doing so well - fabulous news that the bleed on his brain seems to be resolving itself. He is a true miracle baby. Beautiful to see...

Lots of love,

Take care of yourself!

TnB xx :hugs:

PS: Thank you Penny for keeping us updated x

i LOVE the jazz hands pic!!!

And God doesn't he look like you. So glad you're all doing so well. What an inspiration you're turning out to be.

X

So wonderful to hear of Lakai's progress, and delighted to hear that both you and Kyle have now had cuddles with him :hugs:

Lakai is thriving and looking so very handsome - he looks so much like you!

Love to you all.
x

:hugs: he looks so gorgeous you must be so proud of him, can't believe how much he's grown. He's doing so well honey xxxx

wow he's doing amazing, he takes after his amazing mommy,
Thankyou penny for keeping us updated, i worry if not.

Thanks for the pics. Hes doing so well. You can see such a difference.

lovely pics hun x glad lakai is doing so well x

Dec 17 -

So if you missed my status update from yesterday..I am "sort of sick" meaning I had a fever two nights ago and I hurt all over. I feel pretty ok today, my throat slightly hurts but it has since going into the NICU with Lakai because it is just so dry in there. Otherwise I just hurt all over, but nothing else. But never the less I have stayed away from the NICU just to be on the safe side. I won't talk about it much, because its utterly KILLING me to not be able to visit Lakai.

Weight: 1245g

Dec 17 -

Today Lakai was on SiPAP for three hours today, but had to return to conventional ventilation because his lungs were deflating too much. It's not an exact science and sadly they do not know if it will work until they try it. So three hours is a good start and they plan to try again next week.

Other than that change, nothing else has been happening. He is gaining weight and getting stronger.

I cannot wait to see him again. I miss him more than I can even explain. It hurts how much it is.

I love you stinky baby! =)

Infant Flow® SiPAP™

CPAP Therapy

CPAP therapy should deliver a constant, stable pressure to the infant's airways, facilitating restoration of FRC and correction of hypoxemia. Infant Flow®, with its unique, patented generator design delivers stable, non-invasive CPAP therapy in harmony with the infant's own respiratory efforts by using Fluidic Flip technology and the Coanda Effect. Infant Flow® has revolutionized the care of infants with respiratory disease, and is recognized the world over as a way to provide gentle and effective non-invasive respiratory support. The evolution of Infant Flow continues with the Infant Flow® SiPAP™.

It's official as of 12:19am on December 21, 08 (Also Lakai's Grandma's birthday)...that our little Batman has DOUBLED his birth weight!

He now weighs a WHOPPING............

3lbs 2.08oz
1420g

Corrected Age: 31 weeks 5 days

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA BROWN

Sorry there has not been an update lately, it's not because I have lost interest or plan to stop updating everyone just because Lakai is doing so well. It is mostly because I have been hell bent on painting and setting up the house..to the point we have been painting until 2am for the last few nights. I know how nuts that is, but I am one of those anal people who have to finish things like painting, I just CANNOT leave it half done. I'm nuts that way.

We have almost completed the living room, the accent wall just needs one more coat. Which we need to go buy another quart for, because there wasn't enough the first time around. And of course tonight in the middle of a lovely snow storm when I dragged Kyle to get more paint, Home Depot was closed...and then when we went to Walmart (to start and finish (almost) our Christmas shopping) and noticed they carried the same paint colour but of course the paint mixer was "out of order"! BAH HUM BUG!!

But we did get some things for Lakai (pictures in my gallery)...one is a tummy time blanket because some preemies dislike tummy time and this blanket has a built in pillow for support, which will be a good thing for him. And a play gym/mat that I had to buy since it grows with him and its called "Miracles and Milestones"!

I suppose you guys are all wondering how Lakai is? He is great!

I finally got to see him yesterday for the first time in three days and it was sheer heaven. Ok maybe today was heaven since I held him for three hours and he did better during this cuddle than he ever has. Not one destat, very few dips in his o2. Which is a first! He didn't even dip or destat when he clearly needed a suction. He was just content and sleeping away. I think he may just have missed me as much as I missed him =)

He is doing really well. He is growing and just hanging out pretty much.

His roommate has changed today, the baby who was in there before has moved again due to be very ill. And now there is a full term baby in there, who is suffering from seizures. I think Lakai is a little overwhelmed by the move because this baby cries, a lot. Which is totally understandable because of her condition, but I selfishly wonder how this change will affect Lakai. He likes his peace and quiet.

We bought him some little preemie onesies yesterday and I held them up to him today while I was holding him. And you know what? I think he may not wear them if they do not let us put them on him quickly. I am not complaining!

I must say it was pretty cool...the NICU had Santa come around and they took pictures of Lakai (in his house of course) with Santa and gave us a photo. It was so nice. Plus someone (I have to assume a baby who once stayed at the NICU because it was from a 1 year old Santa to the baby in P3, gave Lakai a Christmas present. It was just at our spot when we went in. It is a onesie, a teething toy and a blue flannel receiving blanket. How awesome is that?

I think that is all for now.

Enjoy the snow. And check out the few new pics!

Nic & Lakai

Lakai wants everyone to help him welcome Nevaeh into this world! Who's mommy is my Dad & Mom's friend. It's her first baby too! And she is utterly stunning and perfect =)

Christmas Update -

Sorry its been so long since our last update...

Things have been going fairly well. On the 24th they decided to try Lakai on the CPAP again, he was doing very well for the first little while even though he sounded very hoarse (his cry). He slowly started working very hard due to a swollen upper airway and strider. And at 3am on the 25th they put him back on his old ventilator. They did try steroids and other meds to reduce the swelling but it was not enough of a push to reduce the swelling. Thankfully though this "failure" is not due to his lungs being not ready or to sick to make the move. It feels more like a complication than an actual problem.

In the next week they will try again but this time in the OR with a throat doctor ENT to assess his airway and see what might work best for a successful move to CPAP.

Right now he is doing great, stable and happy. He is on room air and the lowest level of ventilator support, he is doing most of the work breathing wise.

He did loose a little bit of weight because of the switch to CPAP but has already put it back on, so its nothing to worry about.

He does currently have a bladder infection and is on antibiotics.

The nurse also informed us that his "smiles" are not a result of gas but are true smiles because something tickles his fancy. You have no idea how cool that is, because he smiles almost every time I talk to him. He found me saying that his dad was going to sleep while holding him especially funny because he smiled every time I said "sleepy".

Santa was very good to him and he got tons of cool stuff. Even his own stocking and more tree decorations than we could ever need! Thank you everyone!

Ruth got him the coolest onesie that says "AB/CD" on the front..like AC/DC! And a cute little reindeer for the tree.

His Grandma also bought him the crib he wanted and a great mattress for lots of good nights of sleeping (fingers crossed!). (I am going to probably get the change table today, when we pick up the crib..)

His Auntie Dana got us a gift card for Babies R' Us because we couldn't decide what to get...the whole store was not an option! hehe.

And his Grandma Kraft got him a little fuzzy neon green teddy bear. Lakai may need sunglasses when he cuddles with it! Just kidding! =)

Thank you Leah and Kris for the great outfits!!

And Michelle and Jer too!

His Auntie Dana came to visit him for the first time on the 26th and I could tell the hospital was making her nervous. But she visited and joked that he was ugly..and hairy..JOKED! Meanie Aunt.

It was a great Christmas all around.

And even though Lakai did not make the move to CPAP yet, I have total faith that once this upper air way swelling is handled that he will make the move!

Which he will love, because that means no more tube!

On other news, his nursery is fully painted.

And I think he has blue eyes!

Happy New Years everyone, sorry again for the delayed update.

Love Lakai, Nic and Kyle.

PS Thank you Shayla and Mike for the wonderful Secret Santa presents.
And to my SS I sent your present TWO weeks ago, and I know you have not received it yet....Please post when you do on Hugabull...ITS COMING!!!!

Huge thank you to Kristen...for two things...one for the wonderful thing you did with Loki's Toy Drive, I was wondering if you would mind me writing an article about it to send to some local papers to show what real Pittie owners are like?

And two...for your future hubby's dad playing Santa for Lakai first picture with Santa. That meant the world to us and every other parent in the NICU Im sure.

Your family has such huge hearts! Bless you!

https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1648/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1616512_3011.jpg

https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1648/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1616527_5706.jpg

Three pounder pics

SiPap Pics

https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1840/101/77/523391637/n523391637_1579568_6884.jpg

Wow....what a big boy. Well done to both you and Lakai:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Love the pics by the way:cloud9:

Hes doing so well. Lovely pics! Thanks for the updates when your so busy xx

Oh he is doing so well and looks just adorable in your pictures. I'm so pleased everything is going well and thank you for the updates, he is a real fighter and I'm sure it won't be too long now before he his on his way home to his nursery :hugs:

Brilliant! He is doing stunningly! Thanks so much for the update. Your little prince, Lakai is always in my thougths and prayers.

All my best xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->