Latest CC/CIO Study? What's everyones thoughts?

Yes, babies cry for a reason, be it to be soothed/comforted or because they are hungry or scared. It may not seem like a reason to us, but to them it is.

We've never really had to do cry-it-out, our LO never cries in bed so much as whinges for 5-10 minutes before sleep. For a while we picked her up to give her a cuddle but she whinged even then so we thought, well, if she's going to keep on whinging then let's just leave her in bed. She is a great sleeper now, a good self-settler, so it's hard to tell if it's because of anything we've done or if she would have been that way anyway.

My DH and I aren't really the panick-y types, DH is so laid-back he's horizontal, so we try to get let her get on with things in her own way and we only jump in when she's in distress (or just before that point so it doesn't get that far).

If our baby did properly cry whilst in bed then I have to say I'd probably do that 'camp out' method but if it got to the point where I was becoming deranged from lack of sleep then I'd have to try CIO. A book that I have said that fathers are more successful at CIO and it's best if mom is out of earshot, goes for a drive or something, because as we all know the cries can pierce your very soul but dads seem to be immune!

Yes, babies cry for a reason, be it to be soothed/comforted or because they are hungry or scared. It may not seem like a reason to us, but to them it is.

^^ Completely agree - to me, babies emotional needs are just as important as their physical needs. As an adult how awful do you feel if you've ever cried yourself to sleep? :nope:

^^ Completely agree - to me, babies emotional needs are just as important as their physical needs. As an adult how awful do you feel if you've ever cried yourself to sleep? :nope:

When I have cried to sleep in the past I've had a headache and felt sick. That's probably how babies feel to, but with far less understanding of what's going on.

Anyone who knows me on this forum knows how I feel about CC/CIO. :haha:

Babies definitely do cry for a reason and sometimes that reason can be that they are just too tired and want to sleep. If gentle methods of getting them to sleep (e.g. feeding, rocking, singing, co-sleeping etc.) aren't working then surely you should try something else, rather than have them suffer from lack of sleep. When Maria was at her worst she was suffering, she needed to sleep more but couldn't. Nowadays even though her sleep is still shit, she gets enough and isn't suffering (as she is generally happy throughout the day and not grumpy like she used to be when she was tired all the time)

I dunno, whats worse? Letting your baby cry or letting them suffer through lack of sleep? They both have negative effects on the child, you just have to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

Anyone who knows me on this forum knows how I feel about CC/CIO. :haha:

Haha, wondered when you would come in here! :thumbup: I'm totally with you on your thoughts on CC/CIO

Yes, I've been seeing the study pop up on various pages on Facebook that I'm on. I think the study is flawed as pointed out that 31% of participates dropped out and there are more studies that show the rise in stress hormones that counter this one. It's one study. Until the results are repeated numerous times, I don't consider it fact. In addition, anyone with common sense knows that one study just shows a small sample of the entire population. I hardly take that as gospel. :haha: That's just my two cents.

Babies definitely do cry for a reason and sometimes that reason can be that they are just too tired and want to sleep. If gentle methods of getting them to sleep (e.g. feeding, rocking, singing, co-sleeping etc.) aren't working then surely you should try something else, rather than have them suffer from lack of sleep. When Maria was at her worst she was suffering, she needed to sleep more but couldn't. Nowadays even though her sleep is still shit, she gets enough and isn't suffering (as she is generally happy throughout the day and not grumpy like she used to be when she was tired all the time)

I dunno, whats worse? Letting your baby cry or letting them suffer through lack of sleep? They both have negative effects on the child, you just have to figure out which is the lesser of two evils.

Lack of sleep for my little girl every day, to be left to cry (for her, not talking about other peoples children here) would be far too much for her to take.

And with Lily I'm looking into the reasons why she can't sleep and doing something about it, rather than just leaving her to cry.

Statistics in studies can be manipulated either way where there is no clear cut yes or no answer. There are too many variables with babies.
I think only the parent is going to know what's right for their family. And if doing cc in the correct manner in a loving home is the right thing for you, then so be it.

It bothers me that people would enter their children into such studies..

I think wanting to be soothed and reassured is a perfect reason to cry.

It bothers me that people would enter their children into such studies..

You know, it didn't even cross my mind, but now that you mention it, who willingly does this?

I'm wondering, if you do CC/CIO, how do you ignore that horrible sick feeling that you get when your child cries?

IMO, it DOES do harm to ME! I can't stand listening to LO crying at all, but I will leave Finn for a few minutes just to see if he can self-settle back, but I can also tell when it is turning into sustained crying (and as he is teething, I want to comfort him). However, LO knows and wants his mummy -- he might be with my OH in the same room and as he is crying, the baby looks over at me to see if I am paying attention and I usually do pick him up, and he starts smiling and looking smugly at daddy!

I appreciate that everybody has their own parenting style and I have seen these threads get very heated! In our case, I can't do CIO or CC, but if it works for others, that's great. (I also find that I start sweating loads when LO is crying or extra fussy, so the cuddles work for both of us!)

best wishes

ps. I'm not sure about 'entering your baby for a study', but perhaps a group of parents were asked questions about sleeping patterns, techniques, etc? I know that my hospital does follow-up surveys with NICU-graduates (LO was born early due to my pre-eclampsia), which we participated in, e.g. a follow-up 3 month (chronological, not adjusted) visit and a survey to fill out....

IMO, it DOES do harm to ME! I can't stand listening to LO crying at all, but I will leave Finn for a few minutes just to see if he can self-settle back, but I can also tell when it is turning into sustained crying (and as he is teething, I want to comfort him). However, LO knows and wants his mummy -- he might be with my OH in the same room and as he is crying, the baby looks over at me to see if I am paying attention and I usually do pick him up, and he starts smiling and looking smugly at daddy!

I appreciate that everybody has their own parenting style and I have seen these threads get very heated! In our case, I can't do CIO or CC, but if it works for others, that's great. (I also find that I start sweating loads when LO is crying or extra fussy, so the cuddles work for both of us!)

best wishes

This is a normal, biological reaction to your child's cries :)

I think the main thing to take from this study is that CC/CIO is a GRAY AREA.

I really appreciate the moms who say "I could never do CIO, but have nothing against those that do". That's a fair statement.

Things get heated when people think it's wrong for ANYONE to do CC/CIO.

I'm not even going to say what I did with my children but just be rest-assured they are both well-loved little girls and nothing anyone could ever say will convince me that I've done harm to them by sleep training.

I mean....do some people really HEAR what they're saying??

I guess we'll have to have a big BnB CC/CIO thread meet up when all of our children are adults and line them all up and compare who is the most psychologically damaged.

I don't think people should, but I don't think people are bad parents. I think they are often misinformed about typical infant sleep behaviors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->