Let baby decide use of finger foods or purees?

Miss_Cellany

Reaction score
I'm just starting LO on BLW weaning. I gave him carrot sticks and avocado pieces today and he was ok picking them up and trying to munch at first but he soon got upset. I thought I'd see what happened if I mushed a piece up and put it on a spoon to feed to him and the second he saw this he was super super eager to eat it, opening his mouth and happily having it. I really don't want to go down the puree route but would you do it if that's what the baby seemed to want? Or should I just persevere with the the finger foods?

Why not give both? There are some foods adults eat mushed e.g. mashed potatoes, mushy peas, mashed carrot and swede, porridge, mushy Weetabix, yoghurt etc and various desserts are 'TW consistency' so it's not like BLW has to be exclusively harder foods. I wouldn't spoon feed though; just give LO a spoon and let him have a go. If he likes them, it'll encourage him to learn to use a spoon.

Do you know what? That didn't even occur to me even though I know my brother gives his lo a pre-loaded spoon.
I'll give it a go tomorrow! Thanks!

Yes, I would try spoon loading. Also, the goal with BLW is really just exploration at that stage, so the amounts don't matter. If you want to take the BLW route, I'd just be happy to let him touch and play with what you offer him and let him work up to eating it when he's ready. They don't *need* food from a nutritional standpoint at that age. He might seem to enjoy being spoon fed, but if it isn't want you wanted to do, then there's no reason to feel like that's what you have to do. BLW is a learning curve, so he'll need to learn how to feed himself and he'll probably enjoy his finger foods even more in time once he figures it all out. But in the meantime, certainly no harm offering some things on a spoon occasionally if you really let him do it himself. But if you want to do BLW, I would still mostly offer finger foods as it will get him used to eating real food, rather than mashed up food, making the transition to only eating finger foods in time more smooth.

I really wanted to do BLW but LO was having none of it. When we first started he would only eat off a spoon so that's what I let him do. When I gave him sticks of things to eat he would cram the entire thing in his mouth, gag and then start crying. I got stressed because he was so upset, and it just made mealtimes horrible and I didn't want him to associate meal times with stress. So we tried a spoon and he loved it. I made things quite lumpy quite quickly though as I wanted him to learn to chew, and not just suck stuff up like I've seen my friends' babies do. After a couple of weeks I went back to giving him sticks of food and he immediately handled his food like a pro - grabbing it, chewing it and swallowing easily. Now he has done almost a complete u-turn - apart from his porridge in the morning he much much prefers to use his hands and feed himself. So from our experience, starting with a spoon doesn't mean you will always stay with a spoon! But you just have to do what you feel is the right thing for you x

My LO is great with finger foods and loves munching on them. I have tried some purees as well and he is not that interested but somethings at the end of the meal when he has mushed all the food up and still trying to grab it I will feed him some on a spoon and he seems pleased.

Let baby decide. I would offer both and see what he is in the mood for. With dd1 she would go through phases of wanting just finger foods, phases of wanting to be spoon-fed, and phases of wanting to spoon-feed herself. With dd2 we again are offering both. Some meals she's happy to eat finger foods (she had pasta for dinner), but for lunch she devoured a puree. Is there a particular reasom you dont want to do purees? It's so easy as you can freeze it in ice-cube trays and just pop it in the microwave when you need it.

He was happy with the mashed sweet potato on pre-loaded spoon. I'm also giving finger foods every meal and he is getting much better at those too. He's munched on cucumber and banana by himself several times now. I'll persevere with the finger foods with an occasional mash on pre-loaded spoon.

With my LO, I usually have a little of both. If she's hungry, she doesn't have to be frusterated because she can't eat enough to satisfy. She can also practice with some finger foods. I've noticed that some days she likes puree's more than pieces, and visa versa. I try to rotate the different finger foods I give her to keep her interested as well.

Hope you figure out a nice groove soon! Hang in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->