living with kids with allergies group

well i am almost at the end of day 1 of dairy free and it is alot harder than i expected :( on the plus side I might just shift my lard arse thanks too it lol it is amazinf how many things have dairy in :(

I know it's unbelievable, what you'll also find is the amount of things you come across that say 'may contain milk'. It's confusing, either it does or it doesn't!! :wacko:

sun I would love any recipes you could help with

I make all home made food anyway so thats not a problem

well i am almost at the end of day 1 of dairy free and it is alot harder than i expected :( on the plus side I might just shift my lard arse thanks too it lol it is amazinf how many things have dairy in :(

I know it's unbelievable, what you'll also find is the amount of things you come across that say 'may contain milk'. It's confusing, either it does or it doesn't!! :wacko:

lol tell me about it!!

it's like a packet of nuts 'may contain nuts' ...... i bloody hope they do, thats what i paid for!!!!

lol tell me about it!!

it's like a packet of nuts 'may contain nuts' ...... i bloody hope they do, thats what i paid for!!!!

:rofl:

:hi: to all the newbies :flower:

Bun- how about sharing some recipes pretty please :flower:

Buttonnose- It is hard things just don't taste the same :nope:

We saw a dermatologist the other day. After telling her I was on an elimination diet and which foods I am avoiding, she prescribed a bath emollient for Arlo and I just noticed that the active ingredient is soya oil. So annoyed! I stupidly didn't check the ingredients as I trusted the dermatologist's suggested treatment.

We used it once and his ezcema has flared up. Annoying thing is that I also chose that day to add egg back in to my diet so now I can't tell whether it's the soya or the egg affecting him. Back to the drawing board.

I am a bit confused over lactose and dairy/milk intolerance. I know the difference between the two, but how would I be able to tell whether LO has lactose intolerance as opposed to a milk or dairy allergy?

Short reply as im on my phone...
If you introduces a lactose free milk into ypur diet like lactofree and see if there is a reaction or not. If yes then it could be a protein allergy.

Our dermatologist gave us ointments with sls in which I wasnt happy about.

If you introduces a lactose free milk into ypur diet like lactofree and see if there is a reaction or not. If yes then it could be a protein allergy.

It's hard to know what's best to do. LO's skin was getting so much better (if a little dry) using no creams/treatment and only bathing twice a week. Dermatologist has said we need to bath and put cream on daily and to keep this up throughout all his childhood in order to manage the ezcema. But two days into this routine and his skin is red and sore again. That might just be the soya emollient which I have now stopped using though.

To those with LOs with milk/dairy issues...

Is nappy rash ever an issue for you? Amelie seems to have constant rash on her bum and it never goes away :shrug: she's either at the dry scabby skin stage or very red and broken skin stage.

Also, I have a doctors appointment for her on Tues. Can I just ask for allergy testing or her or what will I say lol?

Mumof4 and Buttonnose - Maybe I should have narrowed down the "recipes" so I have an idea of what kind of recipes would be helpful. Like do you need main dishes, desserts, breads, snacks? Here are a few things we eat regularly - let me know if any appeal to you and I'll post a recipe! Or if there's anything you want to make but it has dairy, ask and I'll try and de-dairy it for you! :flower:

These are in our regular rotation:
Cheeseless Pizza (make my own spelt crust)
Veg Sushi Rolls (avocado and cucumber)
Pasta Bolognese (with lots of hidden veg is the sauce)
Thai Curry Chicken
Pancakes (made with pumpkin or sweet potato)
Egg & Veg Fried Rice
Vegan Lasagna (2 recipes - 1 has tofu, the other has butternut squash, but you could just add meat)
Curried Split Pea Soup with Brown Rice Toast
Super Hearty Chili
Rice and Beans
Breaded Fish and Mashed Sweet Potato

Since cheese is high in fat, I replace it in sandwiches with healthy high-fat high-flavour stuff like hummus, pesto, mashed avocado or guacamole, white bean spread, or cashew hummus. My LO also eats lots of nuts. I replace milk in baking with most substitute milks with good success, and for cream I find canned coconut milk works well. I also make homemade oat/banana milk for Bun to drink and have with cereal as I find the sub milks have lots of sugar.

If you want any recipes or are looking for a specific one, just let me know!! :thumbup:

Blah11 - Sorry, my LO doesn't have a rash so I can't help there. But at the appointment I would just say you want Amelie to be tested for allergies. Just tell them what her symptoms are and they should refer you (don't know if you need a referral where you are, but here you do) xx

Sun i would be interested in any lunch ideas :D

Alexs skin looks worse again, i really dont know what to do! Its even gone over his eyelids!
He has a cold right now aswell and not eating much.

lasagna would be good please!! (the squash one) and some snack ideas too please. I ate so little yesterday because everything i picked up said it contained milk and I don't want my supply too go down due to lack of food

Blah you could always ask. have you tried using a mixture of camomile tea with some almond oil in as a wipe solution? that always clears little mans bum right up, infact it is all we use now :)

Arcanegirl poor alex :(

off too dr with little man @ 9.10 in the hope we can finally find some cream that will work for him

it's not our usual lovely dr so fingers crossed he is nice

Were off to the Docs at 10.10 :lol: for antibiotics but also going to chance getitng some creams we used to have for Alex again. were not seeing the usual doc or id be sure we'd get them again.

I am sat her balling girls, the dr was a wanker :cry:

What did they say?

The GP I saw about Arlo's ezcema was so unhelpful. He just said 'all babies get dermatitis, we can't tell if it's ezcema until he's two or three, here's some aqueous cream'. I now know that aqueous cream is bad for ezcema and the dermatoligist said that the earlier you treat ezcema the better the chance of it being managable throughout their childhood. The GP just fobbed me off as a stupid first time mum. I got the referal to the dermatologist through a HV at weigh in clinic, maybe could try the HVs?

Saying that I'm not completely happy with the dermatologists advice. Arlo's ezcema is red raw today. I've stopped using the soya oil bath stuff (only used it once) but not sure whether to follow her advice about bathing him daily because I really think it's making it worse. His skin was almost clear when I stopped the regular baths and stopped putting cream on him. I really don't know what to do because I'm not sure whether it's the bath, the cream, the reaction to the soya oil or the egg I ate that has irritated his skin. Think I'm going to have to stop all baths and treatments, wait until his skin gets better, and then start again to determine the flare up.

Id take out all the new things, and re introduce one by one.

The doc we saw today was actually pretty good! She gave us the right anitbiotics, hydrocortisone and gave a stronger strength knowing that we usually use trimovate which is really strong.
And....she re-prescribed us the creams i asked for!

well he looked at little man and said milk allergy (erm we already figured that ourselves!!) and started writing a prescription for soya formula, so I said that I breast feed, so he said I had too stop and give formula, so I refused and he basically told me I have noone but myself too blame them for Little Mans eczema, so I started crying and said that I was cutting diary out of my diet so hopefully things will get better for Little Man in a few weeks, and he just laughed in my face and told me he had NEVER heard such a ridiculous concept before in his life, then kept laughing at me saying 'so if i eat chicken then chicken would come out in my breast milk .... i don't think so'

I ended up leaving in tears

I rang my health visitor who is FUMING! she said I am right too continue breast feeding and that it IS true that by me cutting out diary will help little man, she has refered me & little man to a dietitian too help me substitute diary in my diet now and will help substitute diary in little mans diet when he starts weaning and also how too start slowly introducing diary too little man when he is over 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->