LO staying overnight with grandma

purpledaisy2

Mummy to a gorgeous boy
Reaction score
Hello,

Dont really know why i'm posting, opinions maybe?

My LO is 6 weeks old and my mum wants to look after him overnight tomorrow.

Its her first granchild and she is absolutely besotted with him, its the only night she can look after him before shes back at work ( only has a few days off.)

I do trust her with him, of course I do, she's had him for a few hours here and there and fusses over him like mad but I don't know whether to let her or not. He's still really young isn't he - too young?

I mean a full nights sleep would do me the world of good, it really would - but I know i'll miss him like mad and think i'll just feel guilty and not be able to settle ?
I don't know what to do :shrug:

If you feel comfortable with it then go for it. Hes not too young i think, itll be good to get him used to sleeping in other places. He will be fine and you'll likely worry but be thankfull for the sleep.

I felt the same with my first, but i let him stay and everything was great!! He is 23 months now and still loves to go.

As said above if you feel comfortable then give it a go!! xx

as the other ladies have said , do what you feel comfortable with.
my lo has still never spent a night away from home not because i dont trust my mum or friend to look after him but i just dont feel comfortable with it, and there has never been a need for him to anyway so it hasnt really come up.
however i now really dont think he would settle at my mum house or anywhere else for that matter as he is not used to it. i gues if you plan for it to be a regular thing then it may be a good idea to start while he is young so it becomes normal for him.

its lovely that your mum wants to look after him for a whole night , and im sure the sleep would do you good but if it makes you feel uneasy then dont be pushed into it.
maybe you could stay there too ? ( seperate room or on the sofa so you know you will be there if she does need you for anything ) or could she maybe look after him in your house so you can sleep in the bedroom knowing he is close by but not needing to get up to him ?
if you just dont want to then be honest and tell your mum , im sure she will understand .. she sounds like a lovely lady :)
but if you want to go for it im sure lo will be just fine and she will call if she needs you, just do whatever feels right to you, or take any measures you need to to make yourself feel better about it :)

let us know what you decide and how it goes ? :)

I say do it! A good night's sleep would be awesome and your mother and LO will enjoy time bonding. Eli was 3 months old I believe when he first spent the night away from home. He gave my mother a hard time. Haha. The next time he was an angel and has been every since.

I think it important for kiddo's to get out of the house away from mommy's and daddy's.

My daughter sleeps with both sets of grandparents on a regular basis. Its great for her and us. She settles in both houses no problem and me and my husband have time together. Been doing this pretty much since she was born :) xxx

I waited till Edward was 6 months for his first overnight with Gramma. But that's me, you have to do what's right for you.

My mum was supposed to be doing that tonight as OH & I were supposed to be meeting friends tonight. We decided not to as LO had a bad night last night but I had no qualms letting my mum look after him - she was more worried than I was!

Only do it if you feel 100% comfortable with it hun!
I let Connah stay at his nanas a week ago for the night and he is 5 months now.It took me all that time to be able to let him go and i was up all night worrying:dohh:

Just go with your gut, if your comfy then do it, if not then dont :)

Brooke slept at my mums for the very first time when she was 2 weeks old, which happened to be NYE ... we didnt go out partying like everyone else, we just came home and slept the entire time :lol:

Sounds as if you arent 100% comfortable with it hun :hugs: Nothing wrong with wanting to keep your baby with you. Amelie has never spent a night away from me yet and I still don't feel ready for her to stay at someone elses house. She wakes a few times still and the thought of her being awake and me not being there breaks my heart.

I say do it! A good night's sleep would be awesome and your mother and LO will enjoy time bonding. Eli was 3 months old I believe when he first spent the night away from home. He gave my mother a hard time. Haha. The next time he was an angel and has been every since.

I think it important for kiddo's to get out of the house away from mommy's and daddy's.

It doesn't need to be overnight though. My mum has always spent a lot of time with Amelie and she has a GREAT bond with her. I dunno how they can bond more whilst the baby is asleep anyway :shrug:

Don't let her push you into it - but if you want to but still have some understandable reservations), I don't think your LO is too young.

We did this for the first time at 4 weeks and 3 times since then - he is happy as larry!

Only you can decide hun.

I'm very glad I let LO stay with my mum early as now i don't worry about it. A break does me the world of good, Grandma loves having her and Imi gets to spend time with her - perfect IMO

For us it would be a no.
Strictly my take on overnights or even sitting with family, but my baby is not a toy. So how ever much anybody loves her or would like enjoying her to fit with where theyre at... that's tough.

We're the people she expects to see when she wakes up or has a need.

But I appreciate it's a really individual decision :)

Hope you do what feels good to you xx

Seraphim - when do you see it as OK hun? Just curious really as you say you wouldn't even have them baby sitting :)

Caitlyn goes to her Nan's every saturday. This is mine and Liam's day to do our housework, shopping and visit friends.

Caitlyn loves it and we do. We did it from 2 months onwards. I know she's fine there as my mums parenting style is the same as mine, I also established early on that she has to respect my decisions [as in her day it was all different as she puts it] and she does this :thumbup: she even follows my 6am - 8am co-sleeping pattern. :)

Sounds as if you arent 100% comfortable with it hun :hugs: Nothing wrong with wanting to keep your baby with you. Amelie has never spent a night away from me yet and I still don't feel ready for her to stay at someone elses house. She wakes a few times still and the thought of her being awake and me not being there breaks my heart.

I agree with this which is why my LO hasn't been away from me yet either.

He sees his grandparents all the time so isn't missing out but for me nighttime is mommy's job and as someone has said they wouldn't get much time with him anyway as he'd be asleep!!

I do think I'm a little overprotective though for various reasons!!

lexi slept at my mums last night...at two weeks old. i needed the sleep!!! and i feel so much better for the recharge of my batterys!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->