Local Housing Allowance/Maternity Allowance question. Confused!

mamawanabe21

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Currently I am on ESA as I have developed a bone condition that requires surgery. Unfortunately, my place of work dismissed me because they didnt think I could be capable of doing my job whilst pregnant (I was a care assistant and what a load of boll*cks!!) So instead of smp, I'll now be claiming maternity allowance.
BUT is MA classed as an income or benefit? Because I'm having to move out from parents and into private rent and will be getting housing allowance until I can go back to work in a few months time (aim to return when DD is about 3/4 mnths). Until I go back to work, MA will be my only form of income (100ish a week) so panicking about being able to pay rent and bills and buy food etc
CAn anyone help clear this up? Jobcentre were useless and just told me to apply for Ma and CAB are always too busy :(

I too am on housing Ben and have just applied for mat allowance. If successful with mat allowance then my housing benefit will stop. My husband works too you see so it is classed as an income with housing benefit. However it does not affect child tax credit and working tax credit according to leaflet. So I would work out how much Ctc and wtc you would get too and see if it works out more when baby comes along xx

I dont understand how I'll be expected to pay my rent (which is 500pcm) AND bills AND food with only an income of 400 a month though "/ I'm a single person, FOB left after finding out I was pregnant. So confusing :(

Maternity allowance does affect how much housing/council tax benefit that you are awarded, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will not be entitled to it.
They will take into account ALL of you income and will assess your claim accordingly. If, as you say, MA will be your only income, then I can't see you not qualifying for housing benefit/LHA.

it will affect it, but every single penny you are bringing in will be taken into consideration and if you are only picking up that much altogether with everything im almost positive you will get most if not all of your rent covered by LHA x

Thank you for your help! Yes MA will be my only source of income until the baby is born in August. You've made me feel a lot less stressed :)

I am a housing benefit assessor, your in income will be taken into account.

Have a check on www.entitledto.co.uk to see how much you are likely to get.

If you have a significant shortfall between your hb and liable rent then apply for a dhp (discretionary housing payment).

If you need any more help pm me :)

How long had you been working for your employer for, they cannot fire you because you are pregnant & they think you can't due your job because of the pregnancy, that is against the law!

I believe that MA would be counted as an income rather than a benefit.

I worked for them for 2 years. Am seeking legal advice because I agree! They didn't even tell me they'd sacked me until 2 months AFTER terminating my contract. >.<
I just had a meeting with them, and they said the main reason is because I'm pregnant, so unable to do my job as it's too risky to my health and my unborn babies health - which is a load of bullsh*t, because it's all equipment these days, and I know plenty of carers that have worked until 36ish weeks!! I think they think that it's an easy cop out, but I'm not gunna take it lying down! :)

Have you got any of what they said in writing? If you meet with them again, insist that you take a 3rd party along to record the conversation.

I have just finished an HR course & we studied this a lot. You definitely would have a case against unfair dismissal under the Employment Act 2010 to do with Pregnancy & Maternity being a protected characteristic. What idiots, they have shot themselves in the foot with this. Did they even give you a chance to be moved to a less physical job, or even a chance to defend yourself & say you are capable of working, or did they just terminate your contract outright?

Have you got any of what they said in writing? If you meet with them again, insist that you take a 3rd party along to record the conversation.

I have just finished an HR course & we studied this a lot. You definitely would have a case against unfair dismissal under the Employment Act 2010 to do with Pregnancy & Maternity being a protected characteristic. What idiots, they have shot themselves in the foot with this. Did they even give you a chance to be moved to a less physical job, or even a chance to defend yourself & say you are capable of working, or did they just terminate your contract outright?

They are idiots! I had a witness in the meeting with me and head of HR who took notes.
I was off sick when they terminated my contract because I have the bone disorder that needs surgery, but I requested to come back to work, and they ignored any attempts I made at getting in contact, which is why it took them so long to actually tell me they'd sacked me. When I asked why they'd sacked me, she'd said that it was because she didn't think I was capable of doing my job etc. because I was pregnant. She then proceeded to say that I was in breach of my contract because I hadn't been in contact for the period I was signed off, but I was trying to contact them (funny that the lady that kept 'taking my messages' never actually kept any record of my calls, and any emails/letters I had sent had not been recieved >.<) and my contract actually states that an employee must have had a minimum of 12 months without contact before contract can be terminated, NOT a couple of months!! There were some other comments thrown in about not being able to physically use the equipment etc, and when I'd said that I was perfectly able to use the equipment and even able to get a dr's letter if required, she snubbed me saying that it was 'far too strenuous work for a pregnant woman' and carried on to say how she 'hated dealing with pregnant women because it's too much fuss with the changing laws' etc. and how she couldn't be bothered to go through with the huge risk assessment.
I was basically made to feel very stupid for getting pregnant! She did say that I could reapply for my job AFTER, and not beforehand, I'd had the baby, because the company didn't have a problem with myself personally. Pah! Like I'd even bother applying now!! I wasn't even called into a meeting to see if there was a way to come back to work!
I also thought it was funny that she'd sworn blind that she didn't receive any of my letters/emails/calls saying I was pregnant and ready to return to work, yet had used this excuse to dismiss me before we'd even had the meeting!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->