Lotus Birth-Updated w/ pics of our encapsulation!pg8

I understand why people keep theirs and bury it or something as it kept your baby alive for 9 months but I still dont understand why people keep it attached to their baby when its done its job :shrug: Like I said, I was interested in the reason to why OP decided to do a lotus birth. Obv she doesnt want to share so I'll leave it be.

I didn't insult anyone either.

The way you phrased this ^^^^ post isn't rude. All your others were. Rude, ignorant and offensive. It's actually been the first thing to piss me off on here in quite a long time. No in fact make that ever.

And I'm hardly surprised she's not feeling like sharing her deeper thoughts or feelings othe issue for them to be rubbished in an insulting way! It's one thing saying:

I understand why people keep theirs and bury it or something as it kept your baby alive for 9 months but I still dont understand why people keep it attached to their baby when its done its job :shrug:

And and ENTIRELY different thing to say:

I will be having a home water birth too and doing delayed cord clamping but don't see the point or practicality of carrying a dead piece of meat around for days.

Or:

I will be having a home water birth too and doing delayed cord clamping but don't see the point or practicality of carrying a dead piece of meat around for days.

After all, it is dead meat! :wacko:

And.....

What would you refer to it as? A dead organ?

Dead organ, dead meat 'wacko' smilies.....yes that's ALL pretty narrow minded and insulting. I'm not having a lotus birth nor do I think I ever would by you ARE insulting.

:shrug: I know my intentions weren't to insult so I'm not going to sit and defend myself. Worded wrong, maybe.

Iv not had a lotus birth nor do i plan too but it does interest me, i have researched about it.
I will be doing delayed cord clamping next time but i think that will be as far as i go.
I personally dont feel 'connected' to the placenta but i can see how others could, i understand why people choose to do it.
Anyway after all that rambling what im trying to say is good luck :) and iv read snugglepats story before, i think she would be the best person to talk to about it x

I have not had one and dont really fancy it myself, however I wish you the best with it, read the stories are intresting I just dont think I would have the time to deal with newborn, placenta, toddler, 2dogs and the house lol

I did "extended" DCC with my second, and am considering doing a lotus birth next time around. By extended, I mean that we didn't cut the cord until twelve hours later. Looking back on it, I would have liked to have done a lotus birth, but we now have the placenta in the freezer waiting to be planted under a tree. What I think is so stupendous about the placenta is that its not only a part of your baby, but also has some of you in it too. For some, its just a dead organ, or a dead piece of meat to be thrown away in the hazardous waste at the hospital without even a second glance. For others, however, it is a spiritual connection between their babies and themselves. :flower:

This sounds beautiful. What made you change your mind about the lotus birth last time? When you did finally cut it, how was your baby? I have heard that some get fussy when it is time to cut it.( I searched the subject and I saw that you were intending to do this.-Unfortunatly a select few that are attacking the subject this time(in this thread and in another of mine- I see the same people lurking to post some negativity.)

I ask again, please don't post if you are going to be negative-the point of this thread is about a beautiful life experience. Each of us has a different birth story, and let it be hers. I am not here to tell anyone their birth is wrong, for I don't think that way-what I do think, is that this feels right for us. Let us not judge each other and if it isn't your cup of tea, as I have said before, no need to argue with the OP or others. :thumbup: Thanks in advance.

And I'm hardly surprised she's not feeling like sharing her deeper thoughts or feelings othe issue for them to be rubbished in an insulting way! It's one thing saying:

I understand why people keep theirs and bury it or something as it kept your baby alive for 9 months but I still dont understand why people keep it attached to their baby when its done its job :shrug:

And and ENTIRELY different thing to say:

Or:

After all, it is dead meat! :wacko:

And.....

What would you refer to it as? A dead organ?

Dead organ, dead meat 'wacko' smilies.....yes that's ALL pretty narrow minded and insulting. I'm not having a lotus birth nor do I think I ever would by you ARE insulting.

Thanks for sticking up for me. I searched the topic this morning,and I found even worse posts from a specific person in others lotus births posts. Unfortunately this topic makes the pot boil, when it only is intended to gain wisdom and information from those who have experienced this.
I said in a post above, if you are here to make the pot boil, please take away the heat ladies. Again, this is about a beautiful life experience of birthing my baby and it isn't meant to be here for judgement or to cast stones at for being "different".

Hmm. I find placentas interesting, and was glad i got to have a snoop at mine before it was taken away after my last birth. I think if we owned our own home then i would keep the placenta this time to bury in the garden but it seems a bit odd as we rent and know we will be moving in a couple of years time so i wouldn't want to leave it behind iykwim?

I have heard, anecdotally, that babies who have lotus births tend to be very calm and peaceful in their early days but i have no personal experience to back that up as no one i know IRL has ever had one or probably even knows what it is tbh!

I feel confused about lotus birth in the sense that from an evolutionary perspective it doesn't seem to make much sense as animals seperate their young from their placentas shortly after birth, iirc to do with predators and the strong smell from the afterbirth :shrug:

Having said that waterbirth doesn't make sense for a mammal from an evolutionary perspective either and i'm hoping for one of those so who am i to judge?! :blush:

It's not something i have an interest in doing, i think the practicalities would be an added burden with a newborn and toddler to care for in the postpartum period, and i wonder how our pets would react to it :shrug:

I hope it turns out to be all you hope it will be anyway :thumbup:

Initially my husband was not keen but when i explained the connection that the baby has to it he has come round we rent and are planning on potting it once it comes away- i think at the end of the day we all choose what feels right for me this is my third and last baby (i was very young when had 1st two so did nothing apart from go to hospital have baby and told what to do by others) this one we have an IM having a home waterbirth and a lotus birth that all will happen as long as baby is ok if i have to be transfered we will have to cut the cord but in my heart i know it will all be ok for ladies thinking about it i think reading about other lotus births def helped me make my decision good luck x

My DH wasn't too keen on the lotus birth at the time, but since then has changed his thinking. We didn't cut the cord until we woke up the next morning, as LO was born at night. He was a little fussy after cutting the cord, but not extensively. His cord did fall off faster than my DS1, but my kids seem to keep their cords on quite a while. DS1's cord stayed on for a little over 2 weeks. DS2's cord fell off in 7-10 days. I have heard one benefit of a lotus birth is that the cord falls away in 3-4 days, which would be much more preferable, especially since my children seem to keep their stumps on longer than most.

Oh, and if you use salt as a preservative/antimicrobial, you can't use it to plant under a tree, as the salt will kill the tree.

I've never heard of lotus birth but wow, good luck with it! The story is amazing. It's not for me or my partner but next time I'd like to do delayed cord clamping and bury the placenta. I loved looking at Thomas' when I delivered it. Even had a poke :lol:

Im really interested in delayed cord clamping and hope to do this with my next one. Thanks for educating me about lotus births and good luck with your birth x

Snagglepats writings on her lotus birth are absolutely beautiful. I would love one, but I am pretty sure my OH would not be up for it. Plus (and I'm unsure on this because I've not researched it) I'm not sure you can encapsulate a placenta that was lotus birthed? And I feel the encapsulation is more important to ME as a mother.

No, you can't encapsulate with a full lotus birth. It is however possible with a partial lotus birth, and with the following https://placentamom.weebly.com/faq.html

What if I want a Lotus Birth?
A lotus birth is when the placenta is left attached to the baby until it detaches on its own, generally after several days. In lotus birth, it is common to salt or otherwise help the placenta dry out more quickly. While lotus birth is a beautiful ceremony honoring the connection between placenta and baby, it renders the placenta unsuitable for consumption if done in this traditional manner. However, you can still have a lotus birth and encapsulate your placenta if you preform it using this trick from Gloria Lemay:

LOTUS Birth with PLACENTOPHAGY: buy a new thermal lunch bag with a zipper closing around the top. Buy six freezer cold packs that will fit well into the thermal lunch bag. Have two packs in the freezer at all times. Soon after the placenta is birthed, create a little mini-fridge for it by putting one frozen pack on the bottom of the bag, then the placenta, then the second frozen pack and, then, do up the zipper with just the cord coming out of the corner of the zipped up bag.

As soon as the cord separates (typically day 4 or 5), dehydrate and encapsulate the red, meaty parts from the maternal side of the placenta. You’ll know the placenta has been kept fresh by the smell i.e. it should smell like fresh meat.

You can also preform a modified lotus birth by keeping the placenta connected to the baby for up to three or four hours. This would give the baby a gentle transition to the world, and the placenta would still be fit for consumption after this amount of time without having to follow the above steps. Do not exceed four hours before separating the placenta and refrigerating it if you do not follow the above steps.

Im glad i stumbled on this thread actually, some interesting reading and ive learnt something new :D

We talked about lotus birth and why people decide to go for it on the hopefuls thread once. Snagglepat is a member that had one and there have been others if you do a search narrowed to this board. :)

This is snagglepat's website where she talks about her lotus journey

Lotus Birth

That was lovely.

I have been planning on delayed cord cutting and placental encapsulation. But I like the idea of leaving it the few hours then cutting the cord. It took 10 days for my son's cord to fall off, and I would love for the healing process to happen faster, as to be quite honest, the cord stub grossed me out. :blush: Plus a happier calm baby would be nice, my son was born via c-section, and I hated it and often wonder what effects that has had on him.

Funnily enough the cord stump freaked me out as well, but I wasn't grossed out by the cord or the placenta which I guess doesn't make much sense :rofl: the nurse showed me the placenta, explained what each bit was for... it was really interesting!!

but i hated the stump i didnt want to touch it :rofl: xx

I took a look at my placenta with Stanley I didnt get the physiological 3rd stage I wanted though there were some blood loss concerns so they wanted managed and I didnt have the energy to argue and hubby didnt care less.

Shame I would have loved to have had it encapsulated but there was no way I or hubby was going to do it and we could afford to pay to get it done.

I have no spiritual thinking about the placenta, to me it is what it is a temporary organ, but I do see the value in eating it - lots of nutrients after all.

I've heard MW's refer to the placenta as offal - now thats lovely!

Funnily enough the cord stump freaked me out as well, but I wasn't grossed out by the cord or the placenta which I guess doesn't make much sense :rofl: the nurse showed me the placenta, explained what each bit was for... it was really interesting!!

but i hated the stump i didnt want to touch it :rofl: xx

I LOVE placentas, but hate cleaning cord stumps :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"