• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lotus Birth-Updated w/ pics of our encapsulation!pg8

I'm intrigued about the logistics. I've read that it is wrapped etc, but is the placenta left hanging from the cord or do you bundle/wrap it all up close to the baby and kind of carry it on top of the baby (I don't mean literally hanging, but mean is it just the placenta which is wrapped/covered and the cord is not)? Please excuse my ignorance, but I just don't understand how it works!

I spoke to my MW about this Thursday, and she has had several clients do a lotus birth. I said I wanted to modify lotus, and she said, no problem, we will have to chill it till we cut it for encapsulation. *Bonus* her apprentice does encapsulation for half the price the woman I was going to use!!! Plus she will already be there! I am really happy about that!

Lotus birth is fascinating! Seeing this thread, then reading about it more online has brought things to a different light for me. At first seeing that it means to leave the placenta attached made me feel sort of ill, then as I read the more sense this made. It sounds like it could feel very, very "right". I have a lot to consider, and a lot more reading to do now!

I want to encapsulate my placenta (for health benefits for me) but now I have choices to make.

We had a lotus birth for cultural reasons but now I have done it, I would want to do it again cultural or not.

People ask how I carried her around and the answer is I hardly did. Those 5 days the placenta was there, we took it slow. When we did move, it was to sit somewhere else in the house for a few hours and she would sleep on my lap.

Day 5, we were so eager for the cord to fall away and when it did, we had a bit of a celebration. We took a bath together and DH walked her around the house. It was small things but they were really special to be finally able to do them.

It did look a bit gross to see the cord decompose. The placenta was always wrapped so it wasn't too bad. I used to put witch hazel and breastmilk at the stump part.

We were supposed to plant the placenta close to where she was born but we are renting so we will be doing it in a pot when the time feels right and taking it with us. We are smoking it and planting some of the ashes of the smoking ceremony (cultual) and the other ashes will go in a small container for DD to take with her camping and whenever there is a campfire, she adds her ashes and collects some more when the fire goes out.

I would have liked to encapsulate for health benefits but keeping with the culture was an important part of recognising my ancestors.

I'm intrigued about the logistics. I've read that it is wrapped etc, but is the placenta left hanging from the cord or do you bundle/wrap it all up close to the baby and kind of carry it on top of the baby (I don't mean literally hanging, but mean is it just the placenta which is wrapped/covered and the cord is not)? Please excuse my ignorance, but I just don't understand how it works!

I have read from others that they bundle it in a nappy/special cloth on top of them when holding them or if in a room, it is wrapped in a nappy/special cloth in a bowl. (I am planning on it being copper.)
For placenta encapsulation afterwards, many people put it on ice, or ice packs, and then in a freezer bag, in a freezer lunch bag.(one person noted this-see her response)

Thank you ladies for all of your responses.

What a beautiful, beautiful thread (minus the rudeness, ignorance and negativity in the beginning). I have been interested in Lotus birthing since I first found out about it and am definitely going to do it with my child. I don't see why, if you want the best for your baby, you wouldn't even consider it. It's lovely to see so many ladies on here who are willing/planning to/have done a Lotus birth - it's inspiring!

Oh wow, I just looked into the placenta encapsulation and that's AMAZING! Ooo, I'd have to do a partial Lotus and encapsulation! Thanks for sharing your info, ladies!

I ended up having my placenta encapsulated and it has worked wonders for me.

I ended up having my placenta encapsulated and it has worked wonders for me.

Thanks for updating! How did it go for you? Do you want to share how/what you did? Would love to hear all about it! I'm still holding on to baby in my tummy! So not too much longer for me.

Wow I'd never heard about lotus birth until now; what a fascinating idea!
The encapsulating is something I'm going to have to do more research on as well. :)

I would love to be into this but my utter squeamishness is part of the reason I am a vegetarian... Good luck though!

I have to admit at first when I read this it rather squicked me out.

Then my nurse tolerance training took effect and I told myself - everyone has the right to the perfect birth in their book - even if it differs from yours Miss Torsornin

I did start reading up on it and found it interesting and have some questions.

I admit at first the idea of encapsulating the placenta squicked me out -- and now I am considering it. Who knows.....

I have to admit at first when I read this it rather squicked me out.

Then my nurse tolerance training took effect and I told myself - everyone has the right to the perfect birth in their book - even if it differs from yours Miss Torsornin

I did start reading up on it and found it interesting and have some questions.

I admit at first the idea of encapsulating the placenta squicked me out -- and now I am considering it. Who knows.....

Please do! There's lots of info out there :D

I have real questions and want to have a real discussion about this - would you care to discuss, the good, the bad, the ugly and the unknown??? :winkwink: Really interested to see what you (and others) have to say both positive and negative and some thoughts on different things

Met with midwife yesterday that we decided to go with and she is completely on board with lotus birthing! I don't think I will encapsulate as I would like to plant the placenta for our baby under a fruit tree we will plant. So, freezing it is on the agenda!

If you're not keen to ingest it directly and/or are thinking about lotus birth, the other super easy option is a tincture. It's easy to do,and gives you and baby a life long homeopathic remedy :)

Updated w/pics of our encapsulation.

Will update lotus story soon and encapsulation.

Have bad news about lotus part though-docs went to cut cord :(

Attachments

• CIMG2889.jpg
    CIMG2889.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 105
  • CIMG2896.jpg
    CIMG2896.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 80
Sorry your thread has been filled with bullshit and that the doctor didn't do what you wanted. I'm not a lotus birth hopeful but I will be encapsulating when the day comes. Can't wait for more updates. :)

Sorry your thread has been filled with bullshit and that the doctor didn't do what you wanted. I'm not a lotus birth hopeful but I will be encapsulating when the day comes. Can't wait for more updates. :)

Thanks. Odd having to tame the thread at times, but glad I looked into it b/c I learned a lot of beautiful info.

Well we were all on board w/ docs about lotus birth or so I thought. I told nurse that I atleast wanted a delayed cutting if lotus birth was not possible.
The nurse practically delivered my baby, not the doc. Head was out and all-then she got doc. I was appalled. Doc came in and finished and went to cut cord immediately. She clamped it, at which point I jumped and said if it was to be cut-hubby was. She gave me a weird look and said ok. Gave him scissors and he did it. I was pissed.

But have beautiful encapsulation part. We had to sign a release for it and doc told us to take it off hospital grounds immediately b/c it is a "hazard". He took it home and put in fridge. (we keep our fridge as cold as a freezer about) Hubby cleaned it while listening to reggae(which I loved while I was pregnant) and he meditated. He steamed it first with lemons. I am sensitive to ginger-so we left that out. Then he dehydrated it in an excalibur dehydrator. Someone gave it as a gift miraculously a month before birth.(they are over 300 dollars!) He then grinded it in a food processor after it was complete. He made the cord in the universe symbol instead of the heart b/c he said the "heart is a made up shape". Would have been happy w/ either:) He then put them into the capsules. (the pic only shows a portion of them)I take 3 in morn and 3 at night.I love that he did it and that he was so into it:happydance: I think the pills helped bring down my babies jaundice level the first day I took it(they had risen two digits-down 3 first day that I took it:flower: Hubby may even get certified to do this b/c he thought this so good to do for the moms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->