Lotus Birth-Updated w/ pics of our encapsulation!pg8

Hi ladies:
I feel so stupid posting this. I have been looking up lotus birth all over the net and still cannot figure it out. Please explain this tonme like ur explainini it to an amateur!
I cannot figure anyting of it out.....and I am soooo intereste4d just in case I wanna go that way. Please tell me what the deal is with Lotus Birth.
You know when a baby is born? and dad cuts the cord.....does that have anything to do with it? I told u I have no clue!
Thanks ladies!

Basically, the cord isn't cut or clamped, and the placenta and cord is allowed to fall off naturally (which will usually happen within 2-3 days). The placenta is kept dried and smelling fresh with herbs, salt and usually kept in a metal bowl or a nice placenta bag.

I'm going for one when I finally get preggo!

x

He is circumcised and it is family tradition. I have read a lot but would love to see links if you would send them.

Link one - what is the foreskin?

Link two - What is circumcision?

Link three - Common concerns

Link four - How much does circumcision hurt?

Link 5 - Religion and circumcision.

Link 6 - Doctors opposing circumcision

Each of these links will have links leading to other links.

HTH :flower:

Hi ladies:
I feel so stupid posting this. I have been looking up lotus birth all over the net and still cannot figure it out. Please explain this tonme like ur explainini it to an amateur!
I cannot figure anyting of it out.....and I am soooo intereste4d just in case I wanna go that way. Please tell me what the deal is with Lotus Birth.
You know when a baby is born? and dad cuts the cord.....does that have anything to do with it? I told u I have no clue!
Thanks ladies!

Basically, the cord isn't cut or clamped, and the placenta and cord is allowed to fall off naturally (which will usually happen within 2-3 days). The placenta is kept dried and smelling fresh with herbs, salt and usually kept in a metal bowl or a nice placenta bag.

x

So, I guess that after baby is born, then the placenta and cord is still attached to baby? Where ever that baby goes, placents bag needs to be carried there too? Can I ask what the benefits are, and why do women choose to do this?
By the way, thank you so much for ur answer......and I do really hope that u become pregnant and have a super healthy little baby!

If you go through the rest of the thread, there are many benefits listed.

Yes, the placenta goes where the baby goes but in those first few days, that isn't far. Gentle short movements are beneficial for a baby who is not used to the world. We moved DD from our bedroom to the loungeroom on day 3 for a couple of hours. Even if a lotus birth isn't done, I would probably limit movement of the baby for at least a few days. It just makes sense to me to do that. A lot of cultures say 42 days. We went a week without leaving the home.

If you go through the rest of the thread, there are many benefits listed.

Yes, the placenta goes where the baby goes but in those first few days, that isn't far. Gentle short movements are beneficial for a baby who is not used to the world. We moved DD from our bedroom to the loungeroom on day 3 for a couple of hours. Even if a lotus birth isn't done, I would probably limit movement of the baby for at least a few days. It just makes sense to me to do that. A lot of cultures say 42 days. We went a week without leaving the home.

When did u give baby the first bath? I am curious cuz my hubby mom keeps saying how she will bath my baby for 10 days in a row as soon as baby comes home. WHAT THE HELL?????? Is that not horrible for the baby skin to wash it with chemicals for ten days in a row....a newborn baby?
I know baby washes are more gentle , but no need to bath newborn ten days ina row! Right? This is my first and I am super inexperienced....

Newborns are not dirty. They do not need a bath for at least a few days (if not more!). We gave DD a bath as a celebration when her cord fell off on day 5 but she wasn't dirty. If it is hot and sweaty where you are, a quick wipe down with a cool cloth would work but there is no need to submerse the body in water.

Babies also do not need anything but water to wash them for months. Even now, I don't use soap. Sometimes I'll add bubbles for fun.

Perhaps it is a tradition to bathe the baby for the first 10 days? There isn't any need to, that is for sure.

Hi ladies:
Thanks ladies!

x

So, I guess that after baby is born, then the placenta and cord is still attached to baby? Where ever that baby goes, placents bag needs to be carried there too? Can I ask what the benefits are, and why do women choose to do this?
By the way, thank you so much for ur answer......and I do really hope that u become pregnant and have a super healthy little baby!

Yep :thumbup:

The benefits are numerous, though mostly anecdotal. It is said that Lotus babies are more calmer, and very attached to their placenta.

I'm not sure about other women, as everyone has their own personal reasons for doing a Lotus birth, but for me, I want to do it as I believe, if it will come away naturally, in its own time, why cut it? Many babies show signs of distress when their cord is cut, and I don't want to do that. I also believe the placenta belongs to them, and it's better to let it leave when its ready. For me, it's mainly spiritual.

Thank you so much. That means more to me than you know :hugs:

Thanks for being interested! xx

I've found this thread really fascinating, I wish we had done something with our kids placentas now.

Hope others have found it informative too :flower: xx

oh wow! I am now excited cuz I am gonna actually look into it a little more.
It actually really does make sense. In my eyes, the world is always in rush....however, what is the damn rush in cutting off their cord.....right? If pregnancy is given 9 months, and is such a natural thing, then cutting the cord off just really destroys it! Let nature take its course! To be honest, I have surprised myself with this response.....I did not even know that I was capable to think this way! Kinda exciting!
I can't thank you enough. When I came here, I knew nothing! You educated me! TY!
BY the way, I have had a miscarriage before and then I was told that I may be going through early menopause cuz my estrogen was super low.....which they thought that it meant the start of menopause. We tried for a whole year and were not getting anywhere. Finally it did happen. Why am I telling u this? Becuz even in life, even in those really desperate moments when u think that it just cannot get any worse..... things happen that just make us so happy and exicted. I had that moment when I finally became prego, and i truly hope to God that ur time will come. What amazes me is how commited u r already......u have reseached and already know what kinda birth u want and everything. Good luck darling!

Thank you for the information on circumcision, I am passing it along. I do not plan to encapsulate but we are keeping it to plant under a fruit tree that we will plant in our new home (once we have a baby of course). I believe in lotus birthing and preserving the placenta when it falls away.

H&H 9+ to all (and to all ttc, wtt, and ntnp - we will persevere!)

does anyone know approx how long it takes for the placenta to fall off? i'm determined to do it anyway but just curious

Depends on the area. If it is humid, it will take longer.

It took 5 days during the end of Autumn which ment clothes being around the end of the cord most of the time. The last 2 days it was just hanging by a thread at that area.

Thank you for the information on circumcision, I am passing it along. I do not plan to encapsulate but we are keeping it to plant under a fruit tree that we will plant in our new home (once we have a baby of course). I believe in lotus birthing and preserving the placenta when it falls away.

H&H 9+ to all (and to all ttc, wtt, and ntnp - we will persevere!)

Thank you! That means a great deal to me :hugs: If you want more info, just lemme know.

And that's good :thumbup: I think I will bury the placenta when it falls off.

And we shall! I just hope it happens soon for us all :hugs:

Sorry for your loss xx

It actually really does make sense. In my eyes, the world is always in rush....however, what is the damn rush in cutting off their cord.....right? If pregnancy is given 9 months, and is such a natural thing, then cutting the cord off just really destroys it! Let nature take its course! To be honest, I have surprised myself with this response.....I did not even know that I was capable to think this way! Kinda exciting!
I can't thank you enough. When I came here, I knew nothing! You educated me! TY!
BY the way, I have had a miscarriage before and then I was told that I may be going through early menopause cuz my estrogen was super low.....which they thought that it meant the start of menopause. We tried for a whole year and were not getting anywhere. Finally it did happen. Why am I telling u this? Becuz even in life, even in those really desperate moments when u think that it just cannot get any worse..... things happen that just make us so happy and exicted. I had that moment when I finally became prego, and i truly hope to God that ur time will come. What amazes me is how commited u r already......u have reseached and already know what kinda birth u want and everything. Good luck darling!

I love this whole message. Thank you, Parisa, your words mean more to me than you know.

Seriously, thank you so, so, so much :hugs: xxxx

I love this whole message. Thank you, Parisa, your words mean more to me than you know.

Seriously, thank you so, so, so much :hugs: xxxx

very welcome beautiful!

Wow, when I first started this thread I had to google Lotus Birth, as I'd never heard of it before, and it makes sense! I am not sure if we would do it though, but we would definitely do delayed cord clamping. I didn't do anything with my first child's placenta, and I really wish I had. But I think I will definitely encapsulate this placenta or bury it under a tree, although we are renting, so I'm not sure if that would be sensible, maybe get a huge pot and plant it and a tree in there for baby.

Anyway, this was a beautiful thread and except for the negativity at the beginning I enjoyed every post.

I briefly explained lotus birth to DH and he looked confused, but he is quite a spiritual person, so when I explain it better he'll 99% be on board, he's all for encapsulation!

This is such a great thread. You ladies are wonderful.

Congrats Jellybean on your news!

I had. But I think I will definitely encapsulate this placenta or bury it under a tree, although we are renting, so I'm not sure if that would be sensible, maybe get a huge pot and plant it and a tree in there for baby.
!

With our second baby we were living in a rental which was a beautiful 100 year old home where other babies had been born before mine (8 in total) and we buried our baby's placenta in the garden which was also lovely. It was sad to move from that house but we have driven over to show her the house that she and her sister were born in and the garden where her placenta is buried and she loved that.

When my next baby came along we were again in a rental. She was lotus born 4 days and 2 hours after her birth and she put the dried placenta in a box on the bookshelf and when she was 5 years old she had a weaning party and buried it under a mango sapling. That time we used a very large pot because the house wasn't very nice and the garden was all rocks. We brought it to the next house and then finally to this house that we are living in now which is my father's house. Along the way the mango tree got a disease and died. I was upset but my daughter, whose placenta was buried in the pot (along with two pet goldfish that died of natural causes and a little bird the cat killed), told me that it wasn't the plant but the soil that was important so we have put the soil in the garden here. Interestingly, after 2 years in the pot there was no evidence in the soil of the placenta nor the animal bones.

does anyone know approx how long it takes for the placenta to fall off? i'm determined to do it anyway but just curious

My baby took 4 days and 2 hours to release her placenta.

This is from my Lotus Birth article:

"The average time for a Lotus Birth baby’s cord to come off naturally is three to ten days after the birth. Research has found that there is a direct relationship between the time the cord is cut after birth and the number of days it takes for the navel to heal. When the umbilical cord is cut immediately, the average length of time required for the navel to heal is 9.56 days. When cut after the cord stops pulsing it is an average of 7.16 days. When later, as happens in a Lotus Birth, the average time is 3.75 days. "

Hey, I started a Lotus Birth support thread. If anybody is interested it is here:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/865993-lotus-birth-support-thread.html

I've put in it my lotus birth article, a list of FAQ's, my lotus birth story and recommended resources. I hope others will add more information and their own lotus birth stories to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->