Lotus Birth-Updated w/ pics of our encapsulation!pg8

That is such a lovely story (minus the clamping and cutting part)! The hubby is a bit squeamish so that the thought of encapsulation freaks him out but, reading this, I may read more and push a little harder.

I am sorry you didn't get your lotus birth. It's pretty appalling they didn't listen to you :nope:

Hi Heaven,

Bummer about the cutting happening at all and being so rushed. I think the cord looks so beautiful arranged like that. I dig the idea of your hubby offering a placenta encapsulation servcie. He sounds like a lovely supportive hubby and I reckon there would be plenty of parents who would prefer somebody else do do that task for them.

Sam in Sydney

As a firm believer and promoter of this practice and a Mum who has experienced the Lotus Birth of my third child I can answer some of the queries that came up in this thread.

It doesn't take much time to care for the placenta, 10 minutes for the initial washing-drying-wrapping and 5 minutes a day and it can be done by Mum or another person. My 13yo son did it for his baby sister.

If you want to bury a salted placenta under a tree you can soak it first to remove the salt and also choose a costal plant that is salt tolerant.

Heaven, I can understand you comment about cutting up your own body but in actuality the placenta is the baby's organ right down to sharing baby's dna - it is unique in that it is the only organ that develops entirely outside of the body and if it gets eaten it's the only time I can think of that meat can be consumed without the sacrifice of life which is why sometimes people don't feel the same way about eating it as other meat and even vegetarians sometimes consume it no probs.

Torsornin, I'm very happy to answer any questions you might have. Ask away.

I'd also like to address some of the silly comments Blah11 made for the benefit of anybody reading this thread in the future.

- Regarding the"dead meat" comment. ..when a mother births a stllborn baby nobody questions her desire to hold her baby and do with it whatever feels right to her despite that prescious baby technically being "dead meat" and to a mother who sees their baby's placenta as sacred despite it no longer functioning physically it's kind of the same - that is why your comment was so offensive.

- Sure there is no medical reason to Lotus Birth but there is no medical reason not to.

- During a Lotus Birth the placenta does not rot. It dehydrates becomes preserved. We kept our daughter's perfectly preserved placenta in a box on our bookshelf for 5 years until she was ready to bury it. I have heard of two incidences where the parents did indeed allow the placenta to rot - once through ignorance where the parents hadn't done their research or used common sense and they put the placenta in a zip lock bag!! and another Mum I know had a surgical birth and was unable to care for her baby's placenta herself and her husband refused to and so it got left untended. This is only two out of the many, many Lotus Born babies I personally know and also the stories I have read online. However, cord stumps, where the baby's cord was clamped and cut leaving an opening for bacteria, frequently rot and smell absolutely terrible. Avoiding problems during a lotus birth is as simple as air drying the placenta or keeping it wrapped as it dries in a breathable fabric and changing the dressing as required (usually once a day). Also adding salt or herbs can facilitate the drying process.

Cheers Sam in Sydney

I have real questions and want to have a real discussion about this - would you care to discuss, the good, the bad, the ugly and the unknown??? :winkwink: Really interested to see what you (and others) have to say both positive and negative and some thoughts on different things

I'm happy to answer any questions you have :thumbup:

Met with midwife yesterday that we decided to go with and she is completely on board with lotus birthing! I don't think I will encapsulate as I would like to plant the placenta for our baby under a fruit tree we will plant. So, freezing it is on the agenda!

Good luck sweetie! Stick to your guns, and don't let anyone take the placenta away from you and baby!

Sorry your thread has been filled with bullshit and that the doctor didn't do what you wanted. I'm not a lotus birth hopeful but I will be encapsulating when the day comes. Can't wait for more updates. :)

Thanks. Odd having to tame the thread at times, but glad I looked into it b/c I learned a lot of beautiful info.

Well we were all on board w/ docs about lotus birth or so I thought. I told nurse that I atleast wanted a delayed cutting if lotus birth was not possible.
The nurse practically delivered my baby, not the doc. Head was out and all-then she got doc. I was appalled. Doc came in and finished and went to cut cord immediately. She clamped it, at which point I jumped and said if it was to be cut-hubby was. She gave me a weird look and said ok. Gave him scissors and he did it. I was pissed.

But have beautiful encapsulation part. We had to sign a release for it and doc told us to take it off hospital grounds immediately b/c it is a "hazard". He took it home and put in fridge. (we keep our fridge as cold as a freezer about) Hubby cleaned it while listening to reggae(which I loved while I was pregnant) and he meditated. He steamed it first with lemons. I am sensitive to ginger-so we left that out. Then he dehydrated it in an excalibur dehydrator. Someone gave it as a gift miraculously a month before birth.(they are over 300 dollars!) He then grinded it in a food processor after it was complete. He made the cord in the universe symbol instead of the heart b/c he said the "heart is a made up shape". Would have been happy w/ either:) He then put them into the capsules. (the pic only shows a portion of them)I take 3 in morn and 3 at night.I love that he did it and that he was so into it:happydance: I think the pills helped bring down my babies jaundice level the first day I took it(they had risen two digits-down 3 first day that I took it:flower: Hubby may even get certified to do this b/c he thought this so good to do for the moms.

So sorry to hear that :( still, sounds beautiful how you dealt with the situation. Hope you, hubby and new arrival are doing well!

As a firm believer and promoter of this practice and a Mum who has experienced the Lotus Birth of my third child I can answer some of the queries that came up in this thread.

It doesn't take much time to care for the placenta, 10 minutes for the initial washing-drying-wrapping and 5 minutes a day and it can be done by Mum or another person. My 13yo son did it for his baby sister.

If you want to bury a salted placenta under a tree you can soak it first to remove the salt and also choose a costal plant that is salt tolerant.

Heaven, I can understand you comment about cutting up your own body but in actuality the placenta is the baby's organ right down to sharing baby's dna - it is unique in that it is the only organ that develops entirely outside of the body and if it gets eaten it's the only time I can think of that meat can be consumed without the sacrifice of life which is why sometimes people don't feel the same way about eating it as other meat and even vegetarians sometimes consume it no probs.

Torsornin, I'm very happy to answer any questions you might have. Ask away.

I'd also like to address some of the silly comments Blah11 made for the benefit of anybody reading this thread in the future.

- Regarding the"dead meat" comment. ..when a mother births a stllborn baby nobody questions her desire to hold her baby and do with it whatever feels right to her despite that prescious baby technically being "dead meat" and to a mother who sees their baby's placenta as sacred despite it no longer functioning physically it's kind of the same - that is why your comment was so offensive.

- Sure there is no medical reason to Lotus Birth but there is no medical reason not to.

- During a Lotus Birth the placenta does not rot. It dehydrates becomes preserved. We kept our daughter's perfectly preserved placenta in a box on our bookshelf for 5 years until she was ready to bury it. I have heard of two incidences where the parents did indeed allow the placenta to rot - once through ignorance where the parents hadn't done their research or used common sense and they put the placenta in a zip lock bag!! and another Mum I know had a surgical birth and was unable to care for her baby's placenta herself and her husband refused to and so it got left untended. This is only two out of the many, many Lotus Born babies I personally know and also the stories I have read online. However, cord stumps, where the baby's cord was clamped and cut leaving an opening for bacteria, frequently rot and smell absolutely terrible. Avoiding problems during a lotus birth is as simple as air drying the placenta or keeping it wrapped as it dries in a breathable fabric and changing the dressing as required (usually once a day). Also adding salt or herbs can facilitate the drying process.

Cheers Sam in Sydney

what a great informative post! :thumbup:

Well, lotus-birthing will have to wait. We no longer have a peanut. I will be lurking here but am just shattered.

Well, lotus-birthing will have to wait. We no longer have a peanut. I will be lurking here but am just shattered.

So sorry for your loss. We had one before our last LO too. Conceived second ovulation after(six weeks). Got acupuncture til we did every week and took herbs. Hope you are doing alright:hugs:

Thank you heaven. That is encouraging. I have the cramping but very little blood now. Just waiting for it to end.

Thank you. We have come through and are ttc. I am hopeful. I like your tag line. My husband and I had a lot of discussions about circumcision. I am against it and he is on the fence.

Thank you. We have come through and are ttc. I am hopeful. I like your tag line. My husband and I had a lot of discussions about circumcision. I am against it and he is on the fence.

You're welcome! I am hopeful for you too. Feel free to join my TTC buddy group, if you like.

And thank you! I have done a lot of research about the topic, and am very passionate about it. It makes me so angry - we criticise others for circumcising their girls (just as wrong and evil) yet turn around and do the same to our little boys?! It's ludicrous, and people try and say it's not the same. Uh, yes, it is. There are some differences, but it's both an unnecessary, and painful, mutilation of an unconsenting human being.

I have lots of useful links that you can show to your husband, if you like? Is he circumcised?

He is circumcised and it is family tradition. I have read a lot but would love to see links if you would send them.

He is circumcised and it is family tradition. I have read a lot but would love to see links if you would send them.

Oh, I see. Makes sense. Most circumcised men want their sons or don't mind if their sons are circumcised because it's all they know. It's important for him to be informed, because circumcision removes thousands of nerves, and the foreskin is a very important part of the penis.

I will GLADLY provide you with some links. I'll post them when I get home :flower:. You can also click on the 'intact genitals are a human right' link in my siggie. Thanks for caring! xx

Some traditions are meant to be broken. I also feel that anybody who has witnessed a baby being circumcised would disagree with the practice.

Most men aren't aware of the damage done through circumcision. Circumcised men are rarely aware that their penises don't work as they should since they only get up close and personal with their own penis but anybody who has had male partners both circed and intact is in a position to compare and there is definitely a difference.

This organisation has a lot of good information.
https://www.nocirc.org/

Hi ladies:
I feel so stupid posting this. I have been looking up lotus birth all over the net and still cannot figure it out. Please explain this tonme like ur explainini it to an amateur!
I cannot figure anyting of it out.....and I am soooo intereste4d just in case I wanna go that way. Please tell me what the deal is with Lotus Birth.
You know when a baby is born? and dad cuts the cord.....does that have anything to do with it? I told u I have no clue!
Thanks ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->