Louis Theroux Visits US prisions in documentary

katrina1987

2 boys and Twin girls
Reaction score
Ok, so did anyone watch this last night on channel 2 at 9pm? Louis theroux - miami mega jail part 1. I have to say I was absolutely apaulled and disgusted by how inhumane this is and how people can be trully kept like animals. I am not suprised some of them act like animals only getting 2hours aweek in fresh air, constantly fighting, being picked on, having there things stollen, being raped, masturbating at guards!!!! Well the list is endless.

Its disgusting places actually exist and they know exactly what goes on but are not prepared to do anything or try and even improve the service. Some the people in the prision can wait up to 10 years even before there trial is heard before a court to decide wheather they are guilty or not guilty and this is very wrong IMO.
You wouldn't dream of treating prisioners over here in the UK like that. And yes before anyone say yes they have commited crime but this is the only slight difference this is jail not prision, the difference being jail is where you sit and rot (sorry mean wait) for your trial to be heard and prision is where you are after the trial has been done and you have been sentenced or found guilty.

The guards don't care what goes on in the cells aslong as they have an easy ride (time). I think a few do care and would like to see a change in the system but in order to maintain the jail or infact to rebuild it from scratch would cost more then 6million dollars which the state/city don't have or are not prepared to stump up the cash for it.

The crimes are ranging anything from, GTA, armed robbery, murder, rape, stealing, and some have just been caught in the crossfire of incidents and haven't actually done anything. I agree you do the crime you do the time, but not like an animal you should be put to trial found either guilty or not guilty of your crime and sent to prision for remainder of your sentence. At the end of the day every1 is entitled to a fair trial and we are all innocent until proven guilty as they say!!! some of the people in there claim to be innocent, others admit to there crimes of murder, Gta and other terrible things.

So my question at the end of this, after reading what I have put, please have a look at this documentary. The second part is on next sunday bbc 2 at 9pm again. What do you realy think? i have put a video of the first part on here so it will give you some idea on what to expect or what im on about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2kTQKZaSU

I thought this was an interesting program. I've always been impressed by Louis' fearlessness when dealing with people that most people would find quite scary.
And I agree that the state of those buildings were appalling, but like one of the guard said, where does the money come from to build a better place?
This jail, like many others i'm sure, seems to be a perfect example of "out of sight, out of mind".
I will definitely be tuning in next week.

i watched this and also felt the same as you. i cant believe they are left so long waiting before they even go to trial, i've never heard of anything like that over here.

i guess the government feels like if they keep them locked up before trial its keeping dangerous people off of the streets, but the conditions they live in is ridiculous, no wonder they re offend if or when they get out.

will definitely be watching the next one!

did you watch strangeways on itv on monday, its crazy to see the difference to the american jails, which they havent even been convicted yet to the english prisons where they are serving a sentance.

i watched this and also felt the same as you. i cant believe they are left so long waiting before they even go to trial, i've never heard of anything like that over here.

i guess the government feels like if they keep them locked up before trial its keeping dangerous people off of the streets, but the conditions they live in is ridiculous, no wonder they re offend if or when they get out.

will definitely be watching the next one!

did you watch strangeways on itv on monday, its crazy to see the difference to the american jails, which they havent even been convicted yet to the english prisons where they are serving a sentance.

People can be kept on remand until they go to trial in this country if they have been charged with a serious crime. I don't think they are kept in conditions like those in this programme though.

I agree that Louis is amazing - I think he uses his 'bumbling English gent' appearance to full effect in these situations!

really, for years at a time like in the US? i didnt know that:dohh: i understand obviously they may be kept for some months, but some of them guys had been in there for over 5yrs it seems crazy:wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->