Low kidney function and protein in urine

lovmysibes

Reaction score
I am 23 weeks and the doctor says that I have low kidney function and protein in urine. My bp is normal as long as they take it about 10 minutes after I get up there. The doctor said I have chronic hypertension and wants me to do 24 hour protein tests and wants to monitor me closer. I am feeling pains in my mid back where my kidney likely is. I am curious to hear of others who have had this issue this early on and what the outcome was. I am new to this site and forums in general, I am very desperate to hear from others.

Does your dr know about your back pain?
Make sure they are extremely proactive with your situation, as kidney damage can be permanent.
Did they say how much protein is in your urine? It's measured by trace, +1, +2, +3, 3+.
Are you experiencing any headaches, swelling, sensitivity to light, vision disturbances?
Have they done blood work to check your platelets and liver enzymes?
What are your BP readings when you get to your appt and then when they take it again after 10 minutes?

Very glad you are getting monitored close. Torres asked really great questions... Curious to know your answers!!

I have kidney disease, have done many 24 urine/protein samples, and also have chronic high blood pressure bc of the kidney disease. So protein in my urine is usually always present as I have some damage from my disease.

I am monitored very close during pregnancy.

I had a very successful pregnancy and labor with my son despite all these issues. Near the end I was getting regular ultrasounds to ensure blood flow to the baby. He was doing great... My health was starting to suffer (I was on a lot of bp meds by that point and was showing higher protein levels). It was decided I would be induced at 37 weeks. It ended up being pushed back by a day and I went into labor that morning on my own! I had a successful vaginal delivery with no major complications and he came out perfect!

This time has been more difficult. My blood pressure is already quite high, my meds have been increased. I also have protein (+1) in my urine so that is OK so far. I've already been told this baby will also make an earlier appearance (hopefully we makenitntl 37 weeks again!)

So while it is scary things can be OK. But obviously you will need to be careful and I hope they continue to monitor you close! One thing you can do is limit your salt intake - will help your bp and it can be tough on kidneys.

Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you want!!

I have no idea how to reply on these forums lol Maybe I will get it down one of these days. :)

I will pay attention to my blood pressure reading when I go in this week and report back on how high it is. Last week the top number was a little high and the bottom number was in the normal range but I think if I remember right both numbers are typically a bit high.

As for the protein, they said the week before last it was +4 and last week it was just a trace. That seemed so odd to me but they said we will continue to monitor. They also found a high level of blood in my urine but I usually have blood in my urine and I even went to a urologist during my previous pregnancy (over 8 years ago) and he did a bunch of testing and determined there was no reason.

I will pay attention to numbers and such this week to give an accurate reply. I have been so nervous and had so many questions at my appointments that I haven't actually written anything down.

Glad all is ok so far! Weird about your protein levels!

My blood pressure lately has been average 145/85 and that is on 80mg of Adalat. When I spent a night in the hospital a few weeks ago it was 159/113. But I feel like it was getting higher and higher because I kept seeing high numbers and it was very stressful. While I spent the night there, it came down naturally on its own, thankfully.

Blood in your urine could indicate a bladder infection or UTI… hopefully something like that and not kidney damage.

I'm sorry it has been so scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"