Low milk supply

brooke28

Toddler & Newborn Twins
Reaction score
I gave birth to my twins 8 days ago at 35 weeks. And due to immature sucking reflex and weight issues (one baby is in the NICU and is tube fed) I am forced to exclusively pumping.

My problem is I pump every 2 hours, and I barely get anything!!! In fact I usually don't get anything at all from my left breast. I have to pump 3 times just to get an ounce...that is not even enough to feed one baby, and especially not 2!!!
Even when my breasts feel huge and full...I get nothing!!!

Anyone have any suggestions or going through anything similar?

Hi hun, congrats on your LO's :dance:

Don't be disheartened by your lack of milk when you pump. Babies are a lot more efficient at draining the milk from the breast, so hopefully you can get them to latch when they come home.

Some women struggle to "let down" for a pump (I am one of them, even when my breasts were engorged, I could not get more than a few ml out :(). What sort of pump are you using? I have heard that the hospital grade electric ones are better and much faster. In terms of letting down, having a photo of your LO's, thinking about feeding them, relaxing while you pump and putting a warm flannel on your breast are all meant to help.

Also try breast compression/massaging while pumping- that used to help me a lot

If your breasts still feel engorged try putting a warm cloth or heating pad set on low on them minutes prior to puming. Also, along with massaging my lactation consultant told me to start at the nipple and push the milk away toward the breast, not try to force it out. I figured those glands were so full that nothing could even come out and after I did this it gave room for everything to start flowing. I hope this helps!

same thing happened to me but I realized that I only let down when my daughter is feeding so thats when I pump. I get SOOO much milk that way, but when I had to pump when she wasnt around then I would use the heat compressions or get in a hot shower, that will help your "letdown" and massage your breast.

Try gently massaging around the top and middle of your breast about 5 minutes before pumping, also initially hand express a little to get things rolling and then use the pump, but don't start pumping until you get a little out from hand, otherwise you breasts may not produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->