• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mamas with chronic illnesses, who are expecting [Support Thread]

Awww, huge hugs to everyone!! :flower::flower:

Just come back after a little break off, had a huge flare up, so exhausted I often broke down in tears. :cry:
I'm glad people are finding this thread useful, by all accounts I didn't think many ill people were here as it was slow to start off with! :winkwink:

To all the people who have been diagnosed as FMS:
Have you been given the all clear to continue ANY of your pain meds, or like me have you gone cold turkey for your baby?

What have you found gives you energy? I had a really strong coffee :coffee: the other evening to keep me awake at my parents (they don't know as yet) and as soon as I'd finished it I was still yawning and drifting off to sleep in the chair... Exhaustion is kicking my bottom! :blush:
I went cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant. I would have been able to wean off some, but I took the harder, but better for my baby approach.

I have not found anything that helps with energy. I am on bed rest though, so I am just always tired, lol.

First Trimester was hard with fatigue, but it seems like it's that way for a lot of women with out any illness too. Second trimester my energy came back and third trimester has been the worst of the three.

I really do hope you're one of the women that gets better due to the hormones. Fingers crossed for you.

I know all our bodies react differently to pregnancy but I am hoping that this might help.

I suffer from fibro (which also causes bouts of extreme tiredness and ZERO energy along with the other horrible symptoms) and IBS. I recall my first 3 months of pregnancy I didn't feel any different than usual. I was still getting flare ups and having stomach issues BUT....as my pregnancy progressed my fibro and stomach issues slowly disappeared, like, completely!

This carried on until 10 months post partum when sadly I slowly started having fibro symptoms again. It seemed to coincide with my period returning which does make me wonder if there is some connection? Regardless, it was sheer bliss to be rid of fibro for so long and reminded me what it feels like to feel "normal". On the upside I don't have as many flare's these days and my stomach/digestive issues are almost completely gone! Which has been awesome. So here's hope to the rest of you ladies dealing with these lousy issues. Sometimes pregnancy can do some miraculous things to your body other than giving you a beautiful baby!

I almost *always* get a flair during my period - my hubby was the one who pointed this out to me!

I almost *always* get a flair during my period - my hubby was the one who pointed this out to me!

Hmm, thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to keep an eye on this and see if the same thing happens to me!

I know all our bodies react differently to pregnancy but I am hoping that this might help.

I suffer from fibro (which also causes bouts of extreme tiredness and ZERO energy along with the other horrible symptoms) and IBS. I recall my first 3 months of pregnancy I didn't feel any different than usual. I was still getting flare ups and having stomach issues BUT....as my pregnancy progressed my fibro and stomach issues slowly disappeared, like, completely!

This carried on until 10 months post partum when sadly I slowly started having fibro symptoms again. It seemed to coincide with my period returning which does make me wonder if there is some connection? Regardless, it was sheer bliss to be rid of fibro for so long and reminded me what it feels like to feel "normal". On the upside I don't have as many flare's these days and my stomach/digestive issues are almost completely gone! Which has been awesome. So here's hope to the rest of you ladies dealing with these lousy issues. Sometimes pregnancy can do some miraculous things to your body other than giving you a beautiful baby!

It is so great that you were able to escape the symptoms for so long. Glad pregnancy helped out with yours. For me, it's made mine worse. So that's the flip side. I've read that it can go either way for women in pregnancy. I always hope that other people are saved my fate. We will see how it affects me after pregnancy. It's all those hormones that flip us either way.

I have never noticed a correlation between the two. I will have to keep an eye out when my periods come back after the baby comes to this.

WARNING:
Depending on your medication you are on (gabapentin, lyrica and the other one I have forgotten now)
It is NOT safe to just completely go cold turkey on the medication.

I did this (without the supervision of my doctor) some months ago (prior to being pregnant).
These are the types of medication that you have to wean yourself onto AND off of.

Any sudden withdrawals can lead to seizures and such like - and of course that's no good for the baby either. In fact I'd say this endangers the babies life even more so.

Please if you are on any of these medications withdraw slowly and with the help and guidance of a doctor.

Teaching my little ones to call 999, or go out and shout for the neighbours help if Mummy was to collapse and have a seizure I can assure you was not fun.

~

I'm hoping like you lucky l have an uneventful pregnancy and make it through the birth without too much pain and exhaustion... I developed my conditions in 2009 (was triggered by a traumatic event), I went on to fall pregnant Late 2009 and had twins early 2010.
Having FMS (and all the other diagnoses) lead to an awful pregnancy, of course it didn't help I was having twins too!

I am pretty sure it's just one in there (may sound completely awful and selfish of me) but I do in fact hope there is only one.

Looking forward to all the appointments I have booked (as per siggy) and making it all official.
Will be sending Christmas cards to our parents with scan photos, just in case they have something unsavory to say to us... we won't have to face it etc..... :shrug:

Keep well everyone and please seek medical advice for weaning off of medications, please don't do it without medical advice and support because in doing so you're not only risking your health but the babies too. :flower:

I'm hoping that this happens to me but as this flare up started just before I tested, I'm not too hopeful. I've gone cold turkey off of my medication under the advice of the doctor and I can tell the difference with this flare already I think. Here's hoping that the hormones or something will kick in so I won't feel like this for much longer!

I also have Ulcerative Colitis - I've had it for 13 years in and out of remission. Stomach has been so/so since finding out. For the ladies with UC - are you taking daily meds? My doc still has me on 16 pills daily of asacol/delzicol and one of canasa....

It is so great that you were able to escape the symptoms for so long. Glad pregnancy helped out with yours. For me, it's made mine worse. So that's the flip side. I've read that it can go either way for women in pregnancy. I always hope that other people are saved my fate. We will see how it affects me after pregnancy. It's all those hormones that flip us either way.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can totally sympathize with you. I had regular pregnancy symptoms (weeks of extreme tiredness, lethargy, etc.) but I can't imagine having fibro symptoms on top of it all! I hope postpartum recovery is kind to you :flower:

On a side note: I love your name selection for your little boy! My sons name is William and it (along with my cutie) grows on me more and more every day!

I'm hoping that this happens to me but as this flare up started just before I tested, I'm not too hopeful. I've gone cold turkey off of my medication under the advice of the doctor and I can tell the difference with this flare already I think. Here's hoping that the hormones or something will kick in so I won't feel like this for much longer!

I recall being 12 weeks at the time because I was at my dr.'s office for my first official appointment and and having fibro symptoms. I remember thinking, "Darn! Pregnancy hasn't worked in my favor..." but a few months later things really cleared up. So there is hope!

Hiya I suffer from ibs and high blood pressure and anxiety

:hi: everyone, congratulations on your pregnancies :D

I'm not pregnant or even WTT at the moment, but I do have Fibro :( I'd planned on having a second child before my LO started school but unfortunately developed Fibromyalgia after an accident nearly two years ago. My pain levels and medication are too high to even consider pregnancy at the moment but I'm cautiously optimistic there will be a time when I am well enough to have another baby.

I'm subscribing to this thread as I'm really interested to read how others find managing their pain whilst being pregnant and not taking medication. Also how to cope with Fibro and a newborn (sleepless nights, lifting, bending, pushing pushchair etc...) Good luck with your journeys :flower:

xx

How are we all feeling today?

Unsure what's going on with me at the moment, on off cold ... Hours of ok-ness (is that a word? lol) and hours of sneezing, runny nose etc!

On the plus side the other evening my fella text to ask how I was feeling (We currently do not live together) and I said I felt ill and my children from a previous marriage were playing me up... before I knew it he turned up on the door step (he lives a good 16 miles away) with a box of chocolates and helped me with the kids, didn't take much before they went off to sleep and then he we cuddled on the sofa, he fed me the chocolates as I sneezed romantically on his arm... bless him - so sweet!

Hope we are all okay? X

Been to the docs this afternoon, extreme agony in my belly.

Urine infection and now on anti B's :(

Been to the docs this afternoon, extreme agony in my belly.

Urine infection and now on anti B's :(

Oh dear, hope you feel better soon, at least it's nearly the weekend so you may be able to have a lie-in and rest up a bit

Hope you feel beter soon

Ibs is playing up bad so hopefully it will be better soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->