March Mamas 2012 Baby Group (Closed Group)

I experimented this morning... Took me 20 mins to express just under 7oz, then took him 10 minutes to guzzle the bottle with a size 3 teat. If that's fairly representative of how he feeds from me (??) then actually his 5-10 min feeds make sense.

I appear to have caught his cold too. Just bought a bag of clementines to try and fight it off!

Lozza, that sounds about right really. F took 7oz from a bottle last night and it took about 20 mins. That was with a size 1 teat, which collapsed a few times, so I think its a bit slower flow than from me (I can hear her gulping when feeding and its definitely slower from the bottle). Anyway, I then expressed and got 8oz in 15 mins so that pretty much adds up the same. Personally I suspect she's getting about 5oz from a 5-10 mins feed. At 6 feeds a day, that's 30oz, which is a totally acceptable volume for her weight. As we both have about the same thing going on with the same sort of age babies, it would seem that things work fine. Average feed length at this age is 10 mins from reading up. X

10 minutes! :shock::shock::shock:

Not 40? :haha:

Are the babies naturally coming away from the breast at 10ish mins, or are you mamas closing the milk bar...seriously at 40 mins I STILL have to snap my bra up and shut shop!!! Right! I'm going to try her on a 20 min feed now.

Oh, by the way...I lost 3.5lbs this week. It was over 2 weeks as I couldn't go last week, but that was with a week on holiday! Nuts!

I'm SO pleased!

Well done Loo! :)

With the feeding, some babies are slower than others with eating. Is D obviously swallowing and sucking well after 40 mins, or is she just nomming and having a nice time? Remember too, if she's having some lame fussy feeds then when she has a good'un it might be longer than standard. Basically, I let F feed as long as she wants. When her latch starts slipping or she stops sucking effectively then I boot her off though! Mostly she comes off after 5 mins, and then I wind her and offer again. Sometimes she has some more, maybe another 5 mins, sometimes not. :shrug:
Even with feeding slower, I'd hazard a guess Loo that after 40 mins D is not gulping milk and actually drinking, she's just comfy. You'd know whether that's accurate or not though. I'd say 20 mins would be safe to know she's getting enough at this age. If she suddenly starts to want a feed every hour though then maybe she's just a slow eater and needs 40 mins to feed. :shrug:

Hi lads, I'm BACK!!! :D
Had a lovely long holiday with both DH's family and then another week with my family too - twas glorious!!
Happy to be back though.
You all have been VERY chatty and there's no way I'm going to catch up on the 97 pages I missed, though!! Anyone want to give me a quick update??

So busy with work right now, but wanted to say WELCOME BACK CROWNED!! Glad to hear your holiday was great.

Loo – I cannot believe the women had the audacity to say that – rude, jealous and damn right horrid, im ssoooooooo mad for you, I agree it sounds like jealously. Who can help if Al wants to marry a beautiful women who knows her own mind …………. Silly moo that she is

Waula – I got greeted with another large poo at 12am this morning – gah – wasn’t as bad.

Been thinking and ive eaten tons of grapes over the week which I don’t normally – thinking that could be the cause ??

Nik – Poor little A – hope you find some relieve for her – lots of mummy cuddles
Mitch - I feel the same – love E to pieces but sometimes I just want a day to myself – thankfully my parents are good and offer but I end up feeling guilty – I think its what we need though
You shred ladies are putting me to shame – I sold my dvd last year – wasn’t doing it enough with all my PT training but I couldn’t even do a minute of it now – soooo unfit

Ladies im in a tizz with all this weaning thoughts

No idea how to introduce stuff – do I start one meal then build
Can I give other breakfast stuff then baby rice ?? are there baby cereals or can I give just regular Weetabix

Also should I be looking at salt, sugar content of things ???

We have another 5 weeks before she hits 6mths but I want to be prepared

Welcome back crowed

L x

Vitfa- I don't know how grapes affect BF, but I can vouch for the fact that they make toddler poop VERY weird and icky. So that very well might be the case.

Regarding weaning... you can absolutely start with a single meal. I think that's the easiest way to go so it's not too overwhelming. Plus, the bulk of her nutrition should still come from formula/breast milk. I'd stick with homemade cereal or cereal that has been designated for babies because that way you'll know that it has no sugar or salt added. It doesn't have to be rice cereal though. Rice is generally suggested as the "first" since pretty much nobody is allergic to rice. However, oatmeal is a lovely first cereal in my opinion.

Waula- I love love LOOOOOVE your new avatar pic. Such a squishy heartthrob.

waula - the vom is still very much in our lives :haha: the last few days it's actually got worse and it's been getting very lumpy instead of just watery. I'm thinking of starting to wean in the next couple of weeks to see if it helps

mitch - you're definitely not on your own with being bored. I'm not bored this time because I have S to entertain me but when S was a baby I used to be climbing the walls some days. It's just a bit mind-numbing sometimes with a young baby and the same routine can become very tedious. But once M starts crawling and cruising you will be longing for the days that you were bored :haha:

crowned -welcome back, glad you had a lovely time

loo - well done on the loss :thumbup: I've got 5 lbs to go but just can't seem to shift it

vitfa - you can buy baby porridge/museli/cereal. Some of it is just plain and some of it has added fruit etc. With Sam I just bought the plain stuff at first and then started to add my own purees etc to it. Although you could also give E toast for brekkie as well. S used to love it. I just used to cut it into strips and he would gum on it til it was really soggy then eat it

Nothing new here. T is still up every 2/3 hours at night and I'm convinced it's wind but I seem to have tried everything so think I will just have to ride it out

Vitfa....M is not really ready for weaning yet. I have made some icecubes of carrot and parsnips...separate and also bought cow and gate porridge...a plain and banana one. I will start with these. I.think normal ready brek/weetabix is ok from 6 months as they contain gluten...think.they suggest waiting. I am a little concerned over salt content for other things. I am going to combine with BLW at 6mths so some toast sticks, steamed carrot and other veg sticks....and then see how we go. Will also make some fruit purees to.add to porridge etc for brekkies early on

I got a bookon amazon.called weanibg made easy...really good for covering both traditional and blw and how to combine...plus some recipez

Thanks Ladies

Mitch - my HV said from 6mths - weetabix and readybreak, but RB seems to have high salt, sugar from what i can make sense of.
I also have C&G porridge think i will stick with that and homemade purees.

I shall have a wee look at the book and good to get reciepes ideas

What you ladies thinking of first meal time - i think i shall go with breakfast as seems the most logical to start with

L x

Thanks Mitch.

Waula, what was the name of the book you said was good?

The last two feeds I have given D have been 20 minutes. The first one she screamed after two hours rather than the usual 3, and we are going to see how we get on with this one.

N and I just had an impromptu nap under the damson tree in our garden. Lovely!!!! Now having a monster feed.
Sambles...sorry you're still having sick :( I'm with you. Sometimes it's clear mouthfuls, can be cottage cheese...loads more in day than night and I'm convinced it's burp issues. If he doesn't burp immediately it's a bugger to get it out. My new method is jiggling him up and down on my knee quite vigorously which seems to work. Theyre dramatic!!!!

Loo I've got the baby led weaning cook book. Got bit of blurb at front to explain essentials of blw plus lots of recipes (seem yum) for 2 adults plus baby... Think it's good for us weaning newbies! Re feeding times... N variable from 10-15 to currently 40mins. I let him feed as much as he wants in the day and don't "clip up" as I want as much food to go in during the day!!! Xx

Vitfa - I've just been to a weaning talk and they said start with any meal, doesn't really matter. One at first then 2 then 3. I didn't take a lot in as too busy laughing at Z wriggling all over the place but have some stuff to read. She rubbished blw which annoyed me. I'm
Still planning to do that have the cook book and intro guide.

All the nhs weaning talks rubbish blw as far as I can tell. Grab the book if you want to do it. :). I'll post that blurb I put together again later, as its more relevant now. It covers most the faqs. Xx

Welcome back Crowned, glad you had a good holiday! :)

DISASTER!

so G always -like clockwork - sleeps for an hourish at 11:30/noon... and 2 hours 3pm-5pm. Like CLOCKWORK.

but now his bedtime is 8pm instead of 9/9:30pm i tried bringing his morning nap forward to 11am...success....

but then it got to his afternoon nap and no matter what i did e.g. warm bath, feed, lights down G would NOTTTT take his clockwork afternoon nap. 3pm,4pm,4:30pm all passed. and i know that 1 hour in the day is not enough for a 4 month old... as it always results in a bad night for us (esp me LOL).

anyway, i kept trying then gave up.

so I just fed him his 5pm feed... and he has fallen asleep! GAAAAH. at 5:20PM!!!!!!! do i let him sleep mummies?

Ive never woke him before... it feels too mean.. but surely he wont go to sleep till REALLY late now???? but then - if i wake him, he wont sleep well tonight cos he was not well rested today....CATCH 22!!!

and after we had two cracking nights of 8pm-9am as well. :cry:

sorry.............. i guess im not looking or much advice... just had to let it out.

OH YES AND BY THE WAY.... when you lot used to speak about wiping poo of literally every bit of your babys body...well, i never really got it because ive never had that. But when G wouldnt sleep i tried loosening his nappy for extra comfort.... forgot to tighten it again.... the poo was from his knees to his neck...all in his hair... even a smear on his cheek....

i dry heaved.

Oooooo emera, yes please do re-post your weaning ditty..... it was fab and i defo am ready to read it so its sunk in for a few weeks time :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->