March Mamas 2012 Baby Group (Closed Group)

Big :hugs: Lozza... Such a shame he's not a baby to cosleep with isn't it (N isn't either, wind/vomiting machine) but something has to change doesn't it...I think you've given the gently gently approach a really good go (!) and perhaps it is time for a bit of something else?! Only you know though :)
Loo glad the wake to sleep thing is working, always seemed ludicrous to me to jiggle a baby youve struggled to get to sleep but I've a friend who swears by it so I hope it's working for you too!! How's the evening bf going?
N is awake, poor chap is hoarse with coughing, I'm so fed up with the rounds of colds...honestly he's probably had one a month...and they say bfing helps prevent them?! I've never had so many colds!!
Right night lads xxx

Lozza, I'll let you know how G does on our new fancy mattress... supposed to be miraculous in getting them to sleep longer. Pricy but might be worth it for your sanity and sleep!

Ugh, Lozza, so sorry :-( I hope you had a marginally better night? Don't discount the effect starting food can have on sleep....you said the worst night was when you gave him dinner. E has been on a rollercoaster with food and I found broccoli meant she was waking at about 11pm with severe and painful wind. She most disliked me sitting with her and wailed even harder. At the moment I'm still sticking with breakfast and lunch....so might be worth looking shat you feed and when, loading carbs towards the start of the day and tapering out to simple veg and fruit latterly

We had a jinxy blip the day I posted here, of course, but E is sleeping mostly 7:15pm to 2am and then 3am till 7:45am. She still wants the middle of the night feed but with all the food stuff finally calming down I don't really feel like buggering about with her schedule yet. I am impressed I can put her down after a feed, wide awake and she nods back off by herself. I fear if she slept through she would be waking at 5am and that, to be honest, would kill me more. Anyhooo, a little bit of consistency is what is needed, from her, before I figure out what to do.

Naps are still all over the place though...

Cheers guys.

The trouble is there's no predictability! The night he did 10-4 on holiday I'd given him breakfast lunch and dinner, and he'd had 3 good naps. Some nights he'll do 3 hours at first, some nights he'll wake after the first 40 minute sleep cycle. I never know which he'll do - so what if I stirred him after 35 mins but then he might have been in for a 4 hour stretch :shrug:

Part of me is thinking what if I stopped bf, would that help as I'd know he was full up during the day - trouble is I dont really want to stop!

I know you must question everything when it's not improving Lozza! But when you've done formula it hasn't helped has it...my best friend has just weaned to formula at 10m as her LO has always got up 2-3 times per night and it's no different now, she just has to faff with a bottle. I'm sure for every story like that though there'll be one where formula has solved things! I suppose it'd mean your DH would be able to help with some of the night duties!!? I'd maybe think about doing some gentle sleep training first if you don't fancy stopping bf yet... Has he learned any more yoga poses/tricks in the past few weeks?! Big :hugs: Hun xx
MsC glad E has found her normal again, one wake up is manageable isn't it. N just had dream feed last night, he woke at 3 but just chatted so I left him and woke up at 7.30 so no complaints here! Think the trick is once they've learned to go back to sleep isn't it, if he sounds happy I don't even go in during the night - just wakes him up a lot more!!!
Right off for baby sensory/toy library/FIL birthday and then work meeting to hand in my notice. Feck. Xx

Lozza, :hugs: Like the lads have said, it does sound like habitual waking, rather than anything to do with the feeding. Most sleep deprived mums tend to hit sleep training hard when they reach that tipping point where the thought of the unbearable crying due to sleep training becomes more bearable than the unbearable lack of sleep (for both them and their baby)! Its really a rock and a hard place sort of situation. If you get great results from the sleep training, then any temporary upset will be worth it.
I'd definitely try that before changing how you feed him. What if you reluctantly move to ff in the hope of a fix, and it changes nothing? That would be my concern anyway. Anyhow, there is no waaay he can be that hungry to wake so often, one or twice a night, sure, but every 40 mins-hour. Nope that's not hunger its habit. The wake to sleep method can be great if babies are waking towards the end of every sleep cycle, and its a non-screamy method for the most part, so not too stressful. xxxx

Oh Lozza! :hugs: if you don't want to stop bf yet, then don't! It's a decision you can't go back on so make it when you're ready. :hugs:

Waula, the wake to sleep thing sounded bonkers to me too, and I was so frightened of cutting her naps short by doing it, but bonkerslt it works! Bedtime bf is going ok, but she is starting to get a bit fussy again on my left side (shit tit), so am considering thinking about a stopping date so I can have one really lush feed before she decides she no longer wants it anymore. We have a wedding to go to a week Saturday where Dee will be with my parents, so maybe think about doing it sometime next week so no not have to faff expressing.

Not sure. It's upsetting to think about stopping. I'm not even sure she is taking a great deal of milk from this bedtime feed, but is a lush 40 minute cuddle that I cherish.

Agree with everyone, I really don't think it's a hunger thing and if you don't want to stop, don't! Unless there are supply issues which isn't the case. Perhaps try some sleep training? It may be he is comforted and reliant on the feed to go to sleep. I know E rarely reaches a good sleep on a feed to sleep, it's when she goes off by herself that she gets a good nap or a night stint.

I worked out with naps, I need to stop repositioning her back to the bottom of the cot, she gets all faffy and wriggles up on her tummy. It's at the point of frustrated cries she'll take some soothing or a dummy and just fall asleep on her tummy, happy as lorry, like a little snail. Today it meant two naps of 1.5 hours, best for a while.

Loo, I know what you mean, the snuggles are so special!

G's 6-month appointment was today. She's gained... (drum roll) ONE ounce since last month. We're starting up on solid foods and I'm trying soy and wheat again (not both at once) because the doctor is pretty sure she's not getting enough fat from my milk, which would also explain why she eats so much/often. Poor baby. :( Not really worried but hoping all goes smoothly with the soy... not interested in meltdowns!

Also, she got her shots and did great. She actually cried more when I took off the Band-Aids than after she got her shots.

Just to prove to me it wasn't hunger, tonight went as follows: finally got him to sleep at 11 (nightmare evening - made mistake of giving up at 8pm and asking DH to help - 30 secs later he was watching tv with us. Cue an overtired baby by 10pm who'd been awake 5 hours). Anyway fed him to sleep at 11 (tried other methods for 45 mins previously), woke at 1, fed & back down for 1.30 having burped well. Woke at 2.45. Tried for half an hour to get him back to sleep before giving up and putting him in the buggy where he fell asleep in 5 mins and stayed for the next 3.5hrs. He's woken up now at 6.50 which I'm happy to call morning as it means I'll fit a decent nap in before swimming.

Dull post sorry but it proves he's not hungry,despite being desperate to feed at that 2.45 wake up! The buggy only reclines to 15 degrees not flat so maybe I'll try raising the mattress tonight.

Oh, I slept terribly as was slightly paranoid he was in the kitchen and what if the gas cooker leaked CO. ah well, I know it didn't!

Mouse - hooray for new foods at least! And well done to G with her jabs, brave girl.
MsC - glad E is sleeping better for you x

Maybe its that he understands that sleep happens in the pram...but not in the cot... he's dead good at sleeping in the pram in the day isn't he? Maybe its time to swap daytime naps to the cot - maybe just one to start with? (I know that must fill you with dread as getting him to sleep in the day must be even more important for your sanity!!) or get a few nights sleep with him in the pram first (maybe move the pram upstairs so you can relax a bit more?!!). Glad your confidence is restored that its not food Lozza...big hugs xxxx

Mouse- Glad the shots went so smoothly! And yay for adding some new foods. :happydance: Hopefully G's gut has developed enough that she can tolerate more stuff. :munch:

Lozza- Before we started sleep training, K would wake up screaming for a bottle. Nothing else would settle him. Taking advice from a friend whose baby was still waking at 12 months, I tried giving him a little bit of water. It worked. He'd suck down about an ounce and would go back to sleep. It still meant I had to get up at night, but I think it helped break the eating-at-night cycle which put us in a better place to start sleep training.

Wow just reading back through some of the posts....especially Lozza and Z and his sleeping habits!

I honestly, truly do not know how you are still going :shock: I agree with everyone else, it does sound like a habit, suppose the big question is how to break it and if you are ready for what that might entail.
I don't think you should give up BF though and don't think that has any bearing on his sleep habits. I can't really give any advice other than what's been given but my neighbour and friends little boy is similar and still waking numerous times a night and he was 2 in May! so maybe that's food for thought on what direction you might want to take :winkwink::hugs:

A is EXACTLY like Z - we are very lucky if we only have one or two wake-ups in the night, and most are 3-8 wakeups, depending on the day. I like WT's idea of using water... I might give that a shot. Anyway, just wanted to say that I commiserate with Lozza, I feel your pain, and you're not alone. :hugs:

Did 3 hours at first (which is great as it means I get an evening, but not sleep!) although I did have to pick up & cuddle after 40 mins. Then fed him at half 10, he fell asleep then woke in transfer but I literally pinned him down on his front with two hands and kept him there til he fell asleep! That doesn't normally work but maybe I'll try it again. I think e ten woke 2 hours later so came in with me and then I don't know - every couple of hours possibly? Might be more might be less, I don't fully wake up half the time now!

In other news I think my sister might have miscarried :cry: she had bleeding so went to hospital, the scanners had gone home but they did 2 urine tests and both were negative - She's waiting on blood results now. She's wondering if she was ever pregnant so feels really silly - but surely having 2 positive hpt means she was and this is an early loss not just her af? I feel really bad for her, she gets all the bad luck - was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago so has been told to start a family soon so they can give stronger drugs after if needed. Wish I didn't live 200 miles away so I could give her a big hug.

So sorry about your sister, Lozza. :hugs:

Sleep update from the wondertwins: for the past several weeks, one or both babies have been waking up between 5:00 and 5:45. If I had the flexibility of staying home in the mornings, I'd use sleep training to deal with it, but since we start our weekdays at 6:00, it doesn't really work out. So I've been getting up super early each day. Yesterday, P took a 3.5 hour nap in the morning at daycare, so I know the early starts are not a result of being fully rested. However, I've been at a loss for how to deal with it. Anyway... last night, completely out of the blue, they slept until 6!! :happydance: That probably sounds like a no-big-deal accomplishment, but waking up on my own schedule makes such a huge difference to the quality of my day. Finger's crossed we can eek out a few more nights like this and turn it into a pattern.

Oh Lozza, so sorry for your sis. Hideous news. And she shouldn't feel silly, a positive hpt is a pregnancy and a loss is still a loss irrespective of the stage. Sending her my love :( xxx
I love the fact you pinned him down!!! It's like a physical version of sleep training lol!!! And glad he settles if he's in with you. Respect lady. Serious respect. X
Wt it's sometimes the smallest things that make the biggest difference hey! Woohoo twinnies!!! Now let's make it a pattern xxx

Thanks guys. She rang me and has been told those hormones they measure are at 103, but they didn't tell her what that meant just that they want to retest tomorrow, so I had to explain them going up and down. She's still bleeding so I guess she's def miscarried. Poor love. They're off on a cruise on Saturday so at least shes got something to look forward to and rest hopefully.

Crowned - didn't realise A was as bad, you have my commisserations! What are you planning on doing? Anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->