March Mamas 2012 Baby Group (Closed Group)

What I'm doing at the moment (and I've no idea if its "right") is bottle when he wakes up (tend to make 6 oz and he takes between 4 & 6), then breakfast an hour or so later. Them mid morning snack with a tommy tippee cup of milk (only about 50ml so that's what 2oz?) which he sometimes drinks or only has a sip of (its cold cows milk) then lunch with water, then milk in a cup again in afternoon, then water with dinner, then he's having about 8-10oz just before he goes to bed! I basically fill up the bottle, warm it up and he either empties it, needs more or leaves aome. It might be too much at night, he's really wet in the morning, but i can't seem to get him to take more earlier. As of today he's just on cows milk.
The during the day milk is what they do at nursery so I'm trying to replicate that, he hardly drinks it though to be honest. I don't always remember to give him milk.

Oh, and I'll stick with a bottle at night for a while - he can drink it lying in my arms and faster than he would with a cup I think. We down a bottle in about 5-10 mins most nights (sometimes we have a break halfway for a book if he's not exhausted) and I think with a cup he needs to drink it a bit more carefully or it comes out too fast and chokes him!

15 hours?! My god, that's incredible, he clearly was knackered after legging it around the play centre.

Your day sounded lush Waula.

Milk, I feel clueless here. Since E dropped the afternoon bottle in January the childminder just concentrates on getting other dairy into her but she sometimes has formula when offered, been so hit and miss about it. What ounces are the guidelines now??

To be honest, i'm pretty casual with milk now. F gets a cup first thing (prob about 5oz) some days she drinks it all, some days, barely any. She has milk with her cereal, and snack mid morning sometimes contains dairy. Then usually she has milk with her mid-afternoon snack. I was doing a bottle in the evenings, but she's been turning it down and trying to grab Roh's milk, so i've bought her a cup the same as his, and she has that now. I tend not to really count the oz she has really. Today she drank about 4oz in the morning, 5oz in the afternoon, and about 3oz of her bedtime milk. Also had cereal with milk, a yogurt, and pasta with a creamy/cheesy sauce. I guess that's about average for her. Really i'm not about to stress it, i offer milk, she either drinks it, or not. I can't force it down her! She drinks more of it than Roh ever did, he only had one bottle a day at this point i think! At this stage, my personal belief is that a balanced diet with plenty of variety is perfectly sufficient, without counting oz of this or that! ;)

Lifted this from Kellymom and added a bit of info on foods:

"Cow’s milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. – it’s not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

-Good non-dairy sources of protein include meats, fish, peas & beans (chick peas, lentils, baked beans, etc.), tofu and other soy products, boiled eggs, peanut and other nut butters (if your child is not allergic).
-Good non-dairy sources of fats include soy and safflower oils, flax seed and flax seed oil, walnuts, fish and fish oils, avocado. Adding fats to cooking and baking can work well, for example, stir fry in safflower oil or make mini-muffins with soy or rice milk, oil or butter, and eggs.
-Calcium may be derived from many nondairy sources. (leafy green veg, tofu, sesame seeds, almonds, dried herbs)
-Vitamin D can be supplied by sunlight exposure and food sources. (eggs, mushroom, fish, salami/ham/sausages)
- If your child is not nursing regularly and is not allergic to cow’s milk products, but simply doesn’t like cow’s milk, you can incorporate milk into your child’s diet in other ways. Many children like cheese, whole-fat yogurt or ice cream. You can also put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, muffins, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods.
Some moms wish to offer cow’s milk to their toddler, but baby doesn’t like it. Over the age of 12 months, milk becomes a more minor part of a child’s diet. It is sometimes helpful to mix increasing amounts of cow’s milk with your expressed milk/formula to help baby get used to the taste. Many dietitians see nothing wrong with adding some flavor (such as strawberry or chocolate) to cow’s milk."

Ta, I love kellymom, it's my go to place.

I try not to think about it much, just give her what seems ok. We tend to eat a lot of foods on that list anyway.

Waula, how are you today?

Off to brave a train journey to stay with my parents. Staying in the same room as E which always makes for a less that easy night, I'm sure we wake each other up.

Hope the train journey is ok MsC? Enjoy your trip :)

Thanks for the advice Emera/Lozza - I'm not usually bothered by quantities but I hate him going to bed with no milk and then him waking up sad in the middle of the night and not being able to make him better.

I've decided to sod the advice of no bottles >12months that the HV say. N took no milk pre-bed last night and was sad sad sad at 3am...he eventually took 5oz from a bottle at 4.30 and we had to wake him up at half 7 as I had work. So, going to get him on to bottles I think. He chokes on using a cup, drinks water well from straw cup as mouthfuls but not to down 5/6oz milk in one go...so that leaves me with bottles which at least don't make him choke, get spat out everywhere and mean we can have a cuddly feed(ish). I Wasn't feeling great last night, was missing the bf and the simplicity and the closeness. Poor DH is bearing the brunt...:( But I'm feeling bit better today. Hormones eh?!

Wish us bottle-y luck.
Thanks for checking in on here too lads. Massive appreciation xxxxx

Waula - that's exactly why I'm sticking with bottles at bed. Sod what they say. Like Emera's said before they assume we're all lazy arses who shove their toddlers in bed with a bottle and bugger off to watch eastenders. Given that we're not like that I can't see 5 minutes necking a bottle doing any harm - we can't mould nipples to a cup shape post 1!!

So good bottley luck! I had to virtually force feed him the first few nights which was horrible but after a week he was happy again :hugs:

So. 6oz guzzled down (used a Hipp formula carton). He's in bed with his mashy. Chatting away snoozily. Happy. I am too(ish). Lets see what that does for sttn!!! Xxx

I'm glad he's happily chatting to himself.

Big jugs for you. I know my SIL said that stopping BFing was crazy on the hormones. :hugs:

Also, we also give Astrid water in a bottle when I'm worried she hasn't drunk very much. She still struggles to drink any serious amounts from anything other than a bottle.

xxx

Waula, i'd TOTALLY go with bottles if they are happymaking!!! Roh had bottles until he was 2, but only in the evening. He wouldn't have had any milk otherwise. I have to say HV pee me off quite a bit with their blanket policies and crap out of date advice. The numbe of times i've heard people being miserable and not changing things because their HV told them they shouldn't! :( I've almost always regretted asking their "opinion", because that's all it is, opinion. I've had totally opposite advice from 2 different HVs at our centre, its not like there is one way to raise a baby that's right, so whatever anyone says, its only ever going to be their opinion. You should totally do whatever works for you, with everything! :hugs:

I'll stop ranting! Really happy to hear he's getting more keen on a bottle! xxx

just trying to catch up a bit. agree with emera health visitors have.never told me anything i couldn't work put for myself, absolute waste of space.
anyway, for what it's worth Jacobs still having bottles. 8oz in morning cuddled in bed, about 5 to 6oz mid afternoon and about 7oz before bed. i can't see him giving up the morning or evening ones for a while but we are trying to progress the daytime one to cup but not having much success. his only formula bottle is bedtime until this cartoon finishes then it will just be cows milk. even though hipp is cheaper to buy i switched back to aptamil because the hipp scoops are bigger and i was going through it much quicker.
as for boob sizes after BF i lost all mine hence boob job, i just had skin and no breast tissue left at all.

Agghhh, Glow, don't say that! Ok do, it's the truth, but there we go.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a bottle! Hell, if it works, and particularly for N (and anyone) at this time, makes for a comforting snuggling bedtime experience, so what? If he was trailing around with a bottle 24/7 at the age of 2, I'd start to question the logic but there we go.

How was your night Waula? Lozza, is Z still sleeping for England?

Great journey down here, really bad night. E woke up at 1:30am sobbing but went back to sleep, then again at 2am and this time wailing so I calpoled her, changed her (some poo) and gave her a cuddle. She started chatting, so swayed with her, into travel cot.....more wailing. It was freezing so half got into bed with her on me, both nodded off, back into cot, more wailing. Gave up, we fell asleep with her on me at 3:15. Woke up at 6 and persuaded her to snuggle and doze for an hour. Christ, I feel like I've been run over with a truck. Don't know what caused it.

Jeepers MsC, that's not a good night!! Hope you can catch a nap with her today.
N slept til 4 then wailed a lot. Had 2oz milk and chatted in his cot for an hour then wailed so got into spare bed with me...and we've only just woken up! Oooops! So, not perfect, but not bad. X

Msc - hope you had a better second night and that E was just unsettled the first night. Maybe the moon is funny again though - E had a bad night, Mia woke up (!!) and it took me 2 hours to get Z to sleep - he definitely likes his 12 hours a night so not falling asleep til 9pm meant he looked pretty dopey at 7.30 this morning! Waula hope N had a better night? How are the boobs?

Deffo something weird about that night! Roh was up about 5 times and he's never up!

MsC, :hugs: hope you're a bit more rested now xx

Waula, boob update laddie? Xxx

Hello lads, she had a better second night, just woke up a few times crying out. Last night was better than that but I'm just exhausted, I'm baggysing a lie in when I get home and am ignoring E so she sleeps, as she should, until 7:30am.

Wondering too how you are Waula?

Went to look at shoes for E yesterday. I just couldn't do it and ended up with another lovely pair of Bobux soft soles. I'm looking for some pre walkers instead.

Is Z back to full sleeping action?

Usually he is, but last night woke at 4.20 and it took me an hour to get him
Asleep again (well, an hour to get him asleep and in his cot again). No idea why. He then stayed there til 9 thank goodness as I'd not fallen asleep til 1.30! For some reason I'm having real insomnia issues some nights!

As for shoes, they only need them if they're walking outside. Z probably wears his a couple of times a week (although I think he wears them at nursery to be in the garden).

Ick, rubbish night, I wonder what woke him? I'm sorry you're not sleeping so well, are you still getting a sleep grove back or worrying about something.

I'll leave the shoes thing for a bit however she did relish looking at the plants with me out the back today, it was such lovely weather.

Finally booked a holiday, a week all inclusive near Tavira in Portugal for the last week of May. Not usually our bag, being at a resort but I don't care, we just need a break.

How be Waula?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"