March Monkeys 2016: 21 boys and 15 girls born

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Elijah finally made it back to birth weight last week. He us being weighed again today. He is gaining slower than they would like so it is a bit of a worry. He has also had a chest infection so been off feeding, really not what we need.
I love breastfeeding him but I must admit the uncertainty of what he is getting does stress me out. We have plenty of wet nappies and one dirty one a day but I do still worry.

Elijah finally made it back to birth weight last week. He us being weighed again today. He is gaining slower than they would like so it is a bit of a worry. He has also had a chest infection so been off feeding, really not what we need.
I love breastfeeding him but I must admit the uncertainty of what he is getting does stress me out. We have plenty of wet nappies and one dirty one a day but I do still worry.

Same here - our mw suggested renting a home scale to see how much he eats "in a sitting". He's a very lazy eater, would preffer to snuggle rather than actually eat.

Do you have any options to rent? It's 20$ pm here, so v. inexpensive way to calm your nerves... :hugs:

Dawn, the same thing with Z and me. My GP is concerned, but part of me thinks that is because they try to fit babies into a bracket, but all babies are different. I saw an LC and they said that if he is wakeful some periods and seems content and eager to eat, in addition to appropriate nappies, then they are OK.

Usually BF babies gain weight super quickly then taper off, but some (like Z for instance) gain weight steadily. But like PP said, you could weigh him before and after a feed to see how much he is getting. Either buying a baby scale or going to an LLL clinic somewhere.
Remember BF babies need less breast milk than FF babies need formula

:hugs: it's so worrisome not knowing exactly how much they are getting

-------------------

Mamas! I hope we are all doing well :)

It sure is and now I'm worrying that Anna is gassy . Especially in the evenings . I am wondering if its something I'm eating . I have developed a compulsion for rice cakes and popcorn!!! Wondering is it that ?? Also anyone else feeling constantly not hungry per say but dissatisfied .. Kinda like feeling of pms ( food wise craving carbs ? ) wondering is it due to BF or I it my thyroid acting up ?

My last baby did not follow the curve but did follow his own curve. He is still a tiny little guy. He was a power eater. Like Daisy mentioned as long as baby is awake at times, content between feedings, having enough poo's in appropriate colour, and wet diapers then your baby is I'm sure just fine. Talking to a LLL can really put your mind at ease.

Things to look out for that somethings wrong is fussing at breast, falling asleep at breast too quickly, not hearing swallowing and not enough wet diapers and/or green poo's with not gaining.

Left what makes you think it is something you ate? What is she doing?

Mmm re thinking think it might be my very fast let down / oversupply that is the issue . She is choking at times , spitting up after feeds , making a clicking noise at times when feeding , had one or two green hue poos ( mostly mustard colour but keeping an eye on that ) is showing signs of being very gassy , not settling , getting hiccups , pulling her legs up . Lots of grunting more than the norm for a newborn just seeming overall uncomfortable . She is not crying or distressed ( really don't think its colic or reflux ) . I'm gonna do more reading and try feeding from just one boob for a while see if it helps . I already have to pull her off after my Inital letdown as my milk jut pours out !!! Anyone any experience of this ?

I have both of those. Feeding on one side really does help. If it is really abundant then more than one feeding at a time can help. But if she is having mustard poo's then one side per feeding should be ok. Make sure you take her off to burp. That is helpful and also feeding her in the laying back possision can help with the fast flow as she will be more above the breast vs below. If you have to express some if she comes off.

My guys does all those things you described.

You latch them while in a reclined position. I larch him then lean back in a reclined position.

Left it helps to have baby straddle your leg :) I have OALD too and Zodi seems to get very gassy from it, very uncomfortable at times but his poos are mustardy (he is now pooing everyday :happydance:
Be sure to burp often and try to aim your nipple for the palate (roof of mouth) so the milk is not squirting directly into their throat.
Like allfor mentioned too feeding one boob per side can help with the green poos (which means too much low-cal foremilk)

My little one is very gassy too and he squirms and grunts a lot as well. I don't know if a preemie thing but he seems to be improving a bit. I lso feed him from one side only as he seems to be full from it and always falls asleep after 7-10 mins or so - at 5 1/2 weeks adjusted he is 10lbs 1 oz and at birth he was 3lbs 11 oz.

Nickki sounds like you could have over supply too lol... Symptoms also are quick feeds and gaining alot of weight quickly

I think my oversupply is evening out, but the forceful letdown is still a bit of a problem. He seems to be getting used to it though. We are figuring things out. We are quiet a little team. :cloud9:

Hoping all of you lovely mamas are doing well!!

My baby is very gassy as well. I think she may have colic because starting around 10pm she is very fussy and cries until around midnight or 1am.

Anywho just stopped by to see how everyone is doing. :)

My baby girl is super gassy too. I am taking Fenugreek and I have read that it can cause that. I'm hoping I'm wrong though as I feel terrible for causing her discomfort.

We have to remember that our little ones are still developing their digestive systems. (I am reading about baby development) So to me it makes sense why our babies can gassy.

We have hit the three week mark and for many babies is a turning point, and I will take it. Two more days until he has a developmental leap, so I will enjoy this until his life goes upside down. If you haven't checked out the "the wonder weeks" yet do, it will help you understand some fussy periods.

I love wonder weeks!

I'm having so much of a problem with supply still. Thanks to my stupid thyroid disease and the breast reduction. I just bought some of the motherlove milk boost so hopefully that helps because I'm just not making enough to feed her :(

She did laugh/coo today for the first time and it was adorable. My heart was in a puddle on the floor. I love seeing her little smiles and j can't believe how much she's grown! She no longer looks like my newborn.

Anyone going to be ttc again right away? I'm seriously considering it since Grace took so long...I feel like I don't want to waste any time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Stuck you working with a LC or the LLL? They have so many great ways to help with supply. Sorry that you are struggling though. :hugs:

We haven't had an easy time- Freya has been great, but I developed an infection sometime after birth (possibly a UTI) that turned into sepsis and have been back in the hospital twice trying to get rid of this infection. Hopefully this current round of antibiotics will finish it off and we can just get on with the normal adjusting to life with a newborn! Freya was a month old yesterday- I can't believe it! Everything else has been going well, though she takes ages for a feed so it feels like all I do. She will sleep for 3-4 hour stretches at night though which is nice! My parents have been visiting from the US for the past couple weeks and leave tomorrow. It's been good to see them and a big help but I'm also looking forward to things going back to our little new family of three. DH has been back at work for a couple weeks so this will be my first week in my own with her.

Stuck you working with a LC or the LLL? They have so many great ways to help with supply. Sorry that you are struggling though. :hugs:

Yes, and this supplement was actually recommended by the LC.

Hopefully it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->