March Monkeys 2016: 21 boys and 15 girls born

The US his isn't set up for home births like the UK is. In NE if a certified nurse midwife or other medical professional attends a planned homebirth they will lose their medical license. Your only option is a midwife with no medical background. They just do the apprenticeship, etc. The UK is better equipped for it since it is lower cost than a hospital birth.

Wow it's crazy how the systems differ across the pond! In the UK (especially in the primary care trust where I live) they actually advocate home births, obviously unless, you're a high risk pregnancy or you had certain complications in previous labour. It's cheaper for the NHS. You just have to hire your pool and equipment if you've having a water birth at home. I really, really want a water birth but want it at hospital.

Thank you to the lady who's friend did hypnobirthing and loved it - I am.really thinking it's the way to go for me :)

Are there any other ladies 7 or 8 weeks along with little or no symptoms? I am trying to stay level headed but it is just niggling at me!

Thanks for the clothing tips. Think I will get a bump band so I can keep wearing my jeans a while longer.

Here in New Zealand we have midwife lead birthing so depending on your pregnancy you can choose to home birth, birth without intervention at a primary care unit or in a hospital with more medical staff and equipment etc available. One thing I absolutely love about our system is the midwives. I meet with mine next week, she will be the one I see right through my pregnancy and will deliver my baby amdcarry out post natal visits. Its the continuity of care I love but that extra help is always there if required. In saying that I'm still not looking forward to labour again lol

My birth plan was " get baby out safe n sound " and guess what ..... It worked lol........
No matter what type of labour and delivery you have it is SO worth the end result :) I haven't even thought about it yet tbh I'm still focusing on getting to my scan !!!!! Lol

That's my birth plan too! I have a lovely OB that I have complete faith in too.

Kakae I've always been jealous of the NZ birth model.
Here in Australia its more similar to the US - except we just have midwives not CNMs and CPMs so they all get the same university education. Most work in hospitals and dome choose to work independently and do homebirths (or hospital births with private clients, but hiring an independent midwife is the only way to have continuity of care otherwise you see various Midwives at antenatal appointments and whatever midwife is on duty for the birth)
Recently there's been a whole ordeal affecting the ability for midwives to practice privately do its becoming increasingly more diffifult to be able to find one and the nearest independent midwife to me is 3 1/2 hours away :wacko:

Here in Australia its more similar to the US - except we just have midwives not CNMs and CPMs so they all get the same university education. Most work in hospitals and dome choose to work independently and do homebirths (or hospital births with private clients, but hiring an independent midwife is the only way to have continuity of care otherwise you see various Midwives at antenatal appointments and whatever midwife is on duty for the birth)
Recently there's been a whole ordeal affecting the ability for midwives to practice privately do its becoming increasingly more diffifult to be able to find one and the nearest independent midwife to me is 3 1/2 hours away :wacko:

NDH is this the case if you choose to go public for your birth? I am going private and all my appointments are with my OB. My OB is part of 5 female OB's that run a practice together (incl. 2 midwives). So as part of my prenatal care I get to meet all of the OB's so I will know who delivers my baby. From my last birth all the OB's are lovely and the midwives were great also so I am feeling very comfortable in my care this time. Are you located rural?

Ruby, sounds like my practice! There are 5 or 6 OB's & there were 2 midwives when I had my DD, but now there's just one midwife (& she's new - both of the other midwives left the practice). You can choose whether you'd prefer a midwife or dr to deliver you. There is always an ob available, but (last time) a midwife was available 2/3 of the time.

I had a horrible experience with the midwife who delivered me last time, so I will FOR SURE be going with an ob this time. I never made sure to meet all of the OB's last time (since I wanted a midwife) so I'll make meeting them all a priority this time.

Apparently ground beef makes me sick. Earlier in the week I had tacos for dinner and ended up dry heaving at 2am. I thought it was just being pregnant so I had leftovers the next night and was sick again. Tonight I made homemade meatballs to go with our spaghetti and now I'm sick again!

Maybe I'll have to stick with boring ol chicken. :roll:

Ruby, sounds like my practice! There are 5 or 6 OB's & there were 2 midwives when I had my DD, but now there's just one midwife (& she's new - both of the other midwives left the practice). You can choose whether you'd prefer a midwife or dr to deliver you. There is always an ob available, but (last time) a midwife was available 2/3 of the time.

I had a horrible experience with the midwife who delivered me last time, so I will FOR SURE be going with an ob this time. I never made sure to meet all of the OB's last time (since I wanted a midwife) so I'll make meeting them all a priority this time.

We are so in sync me and you! :flower:

Apparently ground beef makes me sick. Earlier in the week I had tacos for dinner and ended up dry heaving at 2am. I thought it was just being pregnant so I had leftovers the next night and was sick again. Tonight I made homemade meatballs to go with our spaghetti and now I'm sick again!

Maybe I'll have to stick with boring ol chicken. :roll:

This was me exactly with my last pregnancy! Couldn't stand the site or smell of beef mince!

I threw up hamburger a couple days ago. Last time pork and anything fried made sick in the first tri. We had ribeyes for dinner tonight and I was close to being sick. DH had to handle most of the bedtime routine alone.

Does anybody else have twitchy eyelids? My left upper eyelid has been twitching a lot the past few days. I know I'm hydrated as my urine is clear.

Hamburger has been a queasy button for me as well this pregnancy. I don't remember it being like this with my last but DH had Taco Bell the other day and it put me off so much. He also made himself a hamburger for lunch a couple of days ago and that put me off too.

I found a hypno-birthing class right here in town, I may have to check that out. :happydance:

I also found a birthing center really close to the last hospital that I gave birth in. The bad news is that it's about 2 hours away from where I live now so the drive would be a bit of a risk if I ended up having a super short birth this time (unlikely considering how long my last birth was but you never know). They also do water births and the atmosphere looks very home-like. The thing I like the most is how close it is to the last hospital I gave birth in, so if something went wrong it would be a short drive there. I'm planning to call them tomorrow to ask some questions like insurance coverage and if they would be okay with me just giving birth there and not having my prenatal appointments there since I live 2 hours away.

NDH is this the case if you choose to go public for your birth? I am going private and all my appointments are with my OB. My OB is part of 5 female OB's that run a practice together (incl. 2 midwives). So as part of my prenatal care I get to meet all of the OB's so I will know who delivers my baby. From my last birth all the OB's are lovely and the midwives were great also so I am feeling very comfortable in my care this time. Are you located rural?

Yes we don't have an option of private care here - you see the OB if you're high risk obviously (we have 4, one each week on rotation) otherwise its midwives only. I am not entirely sure what the options are for private care here as its not something I have an interest in whatsoever - OBs are not my thing at all - if there's the option to see the OBs privately at their own clinics and then birth at the base hospital same as anyone else (the private hospital doesn't have a maternity unit) or if you have to go to Newcastle or Coffs. The few people I know who have gone private have travelled but I don't know if that's cause they wanted to or if that's their only option. I mean I know you can have private cover I just don't know if you get specific care here for having it. I dont think so, other than a few perks during hospital stay (no private rooms though, but most are just double). So so if you want specific ob etc I think you have to travel.

I'm regional not rural (I think?). We have a population of over 40,000 - nearly double including surrounds.

Hamburger has been a queasy button for me as well this pregnancy. I don't remember it being like this with my last but DH had Taco Bell the other day and it put me off so much. He also made himself a hamburger for lunch a couple of days ago and that put me off too.

I found a hypno-birthing class right here in town, I may have to check that out. :happydance:

I also found a birthing center really close to the last hospital that I gave birth in. The bad news is that it's about 2 hours away from where I live now so the drive would be a bit of a risk if I ended up having a super short birth this time (unlikely considering how long my last birth was but you never know). They also do water births and the atmosphere looks very home-like. The thing I like the most is how close it is to the last hospital I gave birth in, so if something went wrong it would be a short drive there. I'm planning to call them tomorrow to ask some questions like insurance coverage and if they would be okay with me just giving birth there and not having my prenatal appointments there since I live 2 hours away.

That sounds like it could work well if they're happy for you to have prenatal care closer to home instead of through them. 2 hours is annoying but doable - I had a 3 hour drive last time. Good luck.

Wow it kinda surprised me you all have ground beef reactions too. It's weird because I crave meat lately and it tastes good eating it, but after it's been in my stomach a while I feel super nauseous. I hope steak won't do the same thing, our anniversary is tomorrow and I'm dying to have some!

Yes we don't have an option of private care here - you see the OB if you're high risk obviously (we have 4, one each week on rotation) otherwise its midwives only. I am not entirely sure what the options are for private care here as its not something I have an interest in whatsoever - OBs are not my thing at all - if there's the option to see the OBs privately at their own clinics and then birth at the base hospital same as anyone else (the private hospital doesn't have a maternity unit) or if you have to go to Newcastle or Coffs. The few people I know who have gone private have travelled but I don't know if that's cause they wanted to or if that's their only option. I mean I know you can have private cover I just don't know if you get specific care here for having it. I dont think so, other than a few perks during hospital stay (no private rooms though, but most are just double). So so if you want specific ob etc I think you have to travel.

I'm regional not rural (I think?). We have a population of over 40,000 - nearly double including surrounds.

That sounds like it could work well if they're happy for you to have prenatal care closer to home instead of through them. 2 hours is annoying but doable - I had a 3 hour drive last time. Good luck.

That is really interesting that your private hospital doesn't have maternity! My sister also lives in a regional city and although she had private cover she still gave birth in the public hospital as she was classified as "High Risk" and the public hospital had better facilities.

Yep you sound like you live in a regional city. 40,000 is a lot of people. I know many people who turn away from OB's. I really liked the team I was with last time so decided to stick with them. I live in Melbourne and it is very expensive accessing private care even with the huge premiums I pay every month. I was out of pocket $6k with my DS, so it is definitely debatable as to whether it is worth it! I have heard many positive experiences with mid wives.

Wow it kinda surprised me you all have ground beef reactions too. It's weird because I crave meat lately and it tastes good eating it, but after it's been in my stomach a while I feel super nauseous. I hope steak won't do the same thing, our anniversary is tomorrow and I'm dying to have some!

Happy anniversary! I hope you can enjoy a nice juicy steak without feeling sick! I am not really bothered by it as I am not a big meat eater. I was more upset that Pad Thai made me ill on saturday night! I love Thai food! I had soup for dinner last night which was fine so I am wondering if it is better to eat small amounts or light food rather than a big filling meal...

Wow 6k out of pocket?

Also my original comment was more about comparing accessibility of home birth in various countries since that's what I have the most knowledge about.

I'm feeling anxious about giving birth this time round. DS was 6 days late, induced due to pre - eclampsia (used the drip and broke waters), constant monitoring so had to be on my back. Failure to progress so born in theatre with forceps and episiotomy, nearly needed a blood transfusion. DS was healthy though and at 10lb 7 ounces shocked us all.
It's expected I could have a bigger baby this time eekkkk!.
My recovery was very slow probably down to his size and needing forceps but I felt bruised for months. I know that recovery is not typical though so I hold out hope that it will be better this time.
I'm also going to ask to be induced on my due date this time due to DS size.
This pregnancy so far seems to be going well. I got past the point where I bled with DS so that is a relief. I have far more nausea this time round though haven't been sick thankfully.

Dawn x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->