Mat Leave... ANNOYED/RANT!

firsttime83

Reaction score
Decided to start mat leave earlier than planned... started to feel run down and yucky.

So I put in my 2 weeks, and will be at 37 weeks once I start mat leave. Most people are supportive, with a few ladies around the office butting in their two cents. "It's so much better to work right up to the due date..." "I worked all the way through".

Makes me mad, and I'm not even sure why I care. BLAH!

I'm starting maternity leave at 35 weeks, 37 sounds perfectly reasonable to me! I bet if you rewind back to when they 'worked all the way through' you'll find that at the time they would have LOVED to have stopped working in the last couple of weeks. They've just conveniently forgotten this :haha:

i agree with mum2BKW, everyone is happy to tell you they worked all the way through but i bet they moaned about it, and why when you dont have to? take your mat leave and enjoy every minute of it hun. x

Good on them for working all the way through, every pregnancy is different & if you feel like you are ready to leave, then leave! I have just finished up at 35 + 3 & I couldn't be happier, the 1.5 hour commute each way was killing me, my bump was sore & I was exhausted. I had planned to stay on another week, but changed it & am so glad I did. I have 3 weeks of holiday to use up first before maternity kicks in & am making the most of the quiet time before baby arrives.

I worked just about till my due date and while I don't think it's "better", but I'm certainly jealous of those who don't have to! I bet that's why those ladies had snarky comments. Everyone is in different situations and while I can understand be envious (I was and still am!), I wouldn't be offering my unsolicited advice or two cents to someone that goes out a bit earlier. Don't let it get to you. People are so stupid!

I'm going at 35 weeks much to the disgust of my boss because it's "way before the baby is due"

Urgh

I went on leave at 36 weeks last time.

I got signed off at 20 weeks this time, not classed as maternity yet!

I think you are doing well to get to 37 weeks!

I'm leaving at 32 this time and would be sooner had I got my act together and sent forms off. I worked till 37wks last time and it was a struggle. I'm on my feet my whole shift and its tiring as well as a strain on my body.

This time I can already feel it, maybe coz when I'm not working i have a toddler to chase and can't rest like last time lol.

im one of those who plans to work quite close to the end - 38 weeks. i stopped at 38 last time then baby was 2 weeks late and i was bored to death. i only do it to maximise my time afterwards with the baby.

completely up to you though!! everyone is different and you have the right decision for you and your baby, enjoy your leave!

Don't worry about whay 'they' are saying ... it's 'your' body and 'your' time, use it as you see fit. I am working up as far as I can go, but only because money is tight for me, and I want to get paid from my company as long as I can before I have to get paid by EI at only 55% of my wages. If my company 'topped up' I would of started Mat leave earlier, and stayed off longer. I am only going to be off for 6 months.

Don't let those other ladies get to you my dear :)

who cares what those annoying women think. the women at my work said the same thing when i stopped working at 38 weeks. turns out, i'm getting a c-section at 39+1, and i'm VERY glad i had a week off to myself to rest and recuperate before baby is here. most likely those women are jealous that they had to work all the way up until birth...

I finish next week at 30 weeks! Yay.. I'm taking my 6 weeks annual leave in one block before my maternity leave starts, so only actually 4 weeks of maternity, can't bloody wait, especially with a toddler already. X

I say screw 'em! I have to work up until, but if you can do it then I say go for it!

People always have to make such dumb comments. Ignore them for sure!

I was planning to work up until I went into labour however I've started to realize that maybe that's not the best idea for me. I work long hours, spend alot of time on my feet and I wear my Army uniform which is getting uncomfortable. I have some annual I need to use before so I am taking every monday off until I deliver starting next week. Then I think I'll be going on Mat leave at 38 weeks. I figure 2 weeks home before babe arrives will be nice.

Let's see I must have been around 35 weeks with my first. My boss was supportive, but in my case with DH working/gone most the time and nothing to do at home, with a fairly normal pregnancy, I was honestly bored! Lol. Wish I could rewind time! Now I wouldn't even know what to do with weeks by myself, I can honestly say that was the last time in my life I was alone for 24 hours....

I was supposed to start at 34 weeks but opted to finish up 2 weeks earlier as we had moved house and I was extremely tired. It's been great to have more time to do things (although I do miss getting paid!). Don't listen to the silly ladies at work, I have found those that had babies years ago are the worst as they have totally forgotten how tiring and uncomfortable it is.

Good for you.. I am so ready to finish now and I'm only 32 weeks. I'm planning to work up until 38 weeks but would not feel bad if I finished earlier. My boss is very supportive and has encouraged me to start winding down already so hoping my work load is lighter over the coming weeks. Ignore those awful women x

I think it's annoying too. My last day was a week ago. Worked up until about 37 weeks. I'm SO happy with it. I'm miserable. My feet and hands are swollen and my back hurts. I couldn't imagine going any longer. Hooray for them, lets give them a medal! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->