MaternityUnits to allow partner to stay

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...--25m-scheme-fathers-involved-childbirth.html

I wouldn't have wanted Dean to stay to be honest.....would you have wanted your hubby/partner to stay?

The 1st time definatly!! I was heartbroken when he had to leave at 1am after a verrrry traumatic looooong labour and an emergancy c-section and my 1st baby It was scary, I cried when he left! I thought they should have let him stay for the sake of waiting a few hrs till morning!

Also 2nd time I would have wanted him to stay cause I had a spinal tap (epi headache, awful!)

but 3rd time was a breeze and felt very confidant and totally fine on my own.

I think women should have a choice if they want their partners to stay, sometimes its good to have that support.

I would absolutely have wanted my husband to stay in hospital with me and so would he. He didn't want to have to leave his baby with me in hospital.

I would have wanted a home birth purely because it meant that my husband wouldn't have to leave us, but a high risk pregnancy meant that was out of the question, so this would have been ideal for me.

Yes, with my first especially, I was in labour over 24 hours so be was really tired! But when he i remember sheer panic, that his baby was totally dependant on me, I was shattered too and yeah I was terrified! I got out as kick as possible so that I had some support. We had to stay over night due to maconium.

The twins was hard, didn't get to see much of hubby as he had my son, but I had to have a section as they were breach and staff useless and refused pain meds as I was 4 days post op so shouldn't need them and take a walk! I really would and loved the support as two to care for with a section in a era unhelpful ward was hard, but it wouldn't have been possible due to having our eldest.

Both wards I was on had very limited visiting too, which was horrible.

I absolutely would have wanted my DH to stay. I lost 3 pints of blood so was dizzy and severely anaemic and left on my own to look after LO for 2 nights. I didn't sleep for those two nights (nor the night before my induction) so I was hallucinating by the third night, I asked the MW for help so she gave me some chocolate and I didn't see her again all night!

Next time if there is no risk to LO I will do everything I can to get home!

The thing was Harvey was born at 9.58,Dean got to stay until gone midnight,and all I wanted to do was sleep :haha:

Maybe it was because the visiting was all day on our ward that It didn't bother me that he went home..x

No ty! Stefan is useless lol

We actually left the day I gave birth but if I'd stayed over night he could have stayed too because I was in the mlu where there was a double bed. It was so uncomfy and low though I couldn't get off it because of my pelvis!!

The visiting all day on wards is standard for the Dads.
I cried when Aaron left.

Yes, I'd have loved to have Nick stay with me.

At Nottingham City hospital there is a patient hotel which I think is a great compromise, as providing there are no complications you can all stay together in a room for a small charge. Unfortunately I passed out when we got up there so I had to go back to a ward and it really upset Nick to see us both wheeled away. I was so weak, I had to call the midwife every time Oliver cried as I couldn't pick him up and I was very emotional through the night and the next day and it would have done me the world of good to have Nick there to support us both.

Whilst it would be nice for the OH;s to stay i think this is a bad idea.

We are short on MW and NICO units are lacking funding so i dont think money should be spent on this. Also it will bring up issues with other religions, i know some muslim women are very uncomfortable around other men and the idea of sleeping in the same room as them would be horrible, also for single mums and women whos OH's cant be there it would be cruel to have them seeing the other women with their OHs.

If it was a added extra you had to pay for and was in a private room i think it could work

I'd rather the money went on recruiting more midwives. Most post natal wards are just that, very few if any private rooms and alot of mums may feel uncomfortable in that environment as it is without having men sleeping in the bay opposite. There was a story in the press over the weekend about a hospital in Wales that has maternity volunteers as they are struggling to cope.

I had Aymen at the Royal United Hospital in Bath and they allowed DH to stay the night, they have areas on the ward for husbands to sleep, but to be honest DH just ended up sleeping on the chair in my our room as he wanted to stay with Aymen and let me sleep for a few hours.

I had Group B Strep so i had to stay in over night and as a first time mum, i didnt wanna be left alone.
I would definately want the same again if possible.

I had Aymen at the Royal United Hospital in Bath and they allowed him to stay the night, they have areas on the ward for husbands to sleep, but to be honest DH just ended up sleeping on the chair in my our room as he wanted to stay wih Aymen and let me sleep for a few hours.

I had Group B Strep so i had to stay in over night and as a first time mum, i didnt wanna be left alone.
I would definately want the same again if possible.

Me too!

There was a spare bed in my 4 bed room and they said OH could stay in there. The lady opposite had her OH staying too so there were only two babies in the room.

Obviously if they needed the beds then tho OH would have been allowed to stay in the chair next to the bed.

I think RUH was a trial hospital for the scheme so they have been doing it for a few years now.

the hospital i had DS allows partners to stay - i think it a good idea - id had a three day full on labour, no sleep, spinal, c-section, doped up to my eyeballs on diamorphine and they handed me a baby to look after by myself! they were short on midwives so no one could help me. OH stayed until midnight so i could get a bit of sleep (he had done a night shift the day i went into labour so hadnt slept in 4 days!!

i think if it reassures the mother why not?x

I dont think its a good idea. When youve just had a baby theres allsorts going on with your body to have strainge men walking around id feel a tad uncomfortable. If it was an option to have private rooms and pay a small fee that went towards new equipment nice things for the ward etc that might work.

I would have loved DH to have stayed when I had Jacob. I was scared and exhausted and couldn't relax without my hubby around. He's my calmer !

Sophie was born at 6.07am so OH got to stay all day anyways, he did go home for some sleep and then came back a few hours later and stayed til they asked him to leave at 10pm - He wanted to stay but they wouldn't let him. x

I do understand the reasons against it, but i am so for it for the following.
I had Ivy at 10.48pm, i had a 2nd degree tear and found having stiches awful, i could barely move/sit, i was emotional, stuck with a cow of a midwife and when OH left i was crying, i was awake the whole night, upset, worried and alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->