May Buds and June Bug 2012 Mummy's Club

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

I have tried swaddling him but he always gets his arms out, and besides, it seems to REALLY agitate him. He just cries and wiggles til he works himself free! I bought an actual swaddle blanket from mamas and papas to see if that worked but he was too long for it so again it didn't work.

Health visitor finally knocked on my door today - apparently I had been forgotten as per usual! Still, she was really nice and luckily Theon was awake and having a time of it with the colic so she got to witness it first hand. She is going to try and get me a prescription for colief tomorrow so should be able to pick it up on Friday.

The HV told me Dr Browns bottles would be best, but I will bear MAM in mind too Debs. He certainly isn't having trouble feeding though... last monday he weighed 8lb 15 1/2 oz, today he weighed 10lb 1oz, so he's gained 1lb 1 1/2oz in 9 days!! My chunky monkey!!

I think I am going to go to a baby massage class that surestart offer, but will deffo check out you tube. Sorry to hear Caitlin is suffering with it too Nicola, its really horrible to hear them in pain and not be able to do anything.

I did wonder if it might be reflux Suze, but he seems to cry out in pain and then within the next half hour will usually pass wind (from the bottom end!) or do a poo, so deffo think its more wind/constipation. He doesn't spit up very often either. Something to bare in mind though.

Wow, 2 babies who are a month+ old now!! Where has the time gone! Glad to hear Indy is sleeping for longer through the night for you now Debs.

I was wondering the same about doing whatever it takes to settle them Nicola. Theon wont fall asleep in his moses basket, he needs to fall asleep on me or Ric first and then be completely zonked when he is placed in there, otherwise he just begins to cry and the whole settling process has to begin again. To be honest we have had him sleep in our bed for the last few nights - bad I know. We do have a super king size bed though so its 6ft wide and me and Ric just sleep on the outer edges so he has about a foot of space to himself at least. When the HV came today she was talking about SIDS and said she couldnt stress enough the importance of not letting him sleep in our bed and putting him back in his moses basket - I didnt have the guts to tell her where he had been sleeping the last few nights!! The problem is I am just SO tired, I don't have the energy to keep settling him (which with the colic can take about an hour), putting him in his basket, and then having to start again when he begins to cry. When I put him in the middle of the bed (on his back) he grabs one of Rics fingers and one of mine and wimpers a bit with the colic but I can talk to him whilst im lying down and he has that physical contact so he drops off...and so do I! I would never forgive myself if I smothered him in his sleep though so really need to put his needs before mine and persevere with getting him back in his basket.

On the plus side, we both survived our first day with daddy at work! I even managed to have a shower whilst he was sleeping in his basket (and in view of the bathroom door lol) and bath him, and tidy up the house a bit. Would have made dinner too if the HV hadn't turned up out of the blue.

xx

Well done theon for such a good weight gain! Ashleigh was weighed yesterday too and now weight 7lb 11oz :)

As for the bed thing, I did it with Chloe and she still tries to get in my bed now and she's 7!! But Ashleigh is so much like her it's unbelievable. I am going to see my doctor to ask about colic medicine. I'm feeding her now as I type on my phone and I can feel and hear the wind in her tummy :( I have been laying her on her side as suggested with a rolled up blanket to stop her rolling over onto her tummy and I got 4 straight hours of sleep!!!! It was amazing!
Give it a try it may work for u too x

Ive also had a few naughty nights sleep with Ashleigh in the spare bed! So don't feel guilty.

How's everyone doing? It's been quiet on here over the last few days, these babies take up a lot of time don't they :)

Just had Caitlin in her first restaurant today for my mother in law's 60th birthday and she was absolutely no bother. I was a bit apprehensive as I thought she'd kick off but she slept all the time we were eating, then woke up just as we finished, had a bottle and a few photos with people and then we put her back in her car seat and she went back to sleep. Wish she slept that well at night time!

Had a bit of a worrying day yesterday as she vomited quite forcefully after every single feed we gave her. I was almost at the point of ringing the doctors but decided to give it til today and then today she seems absolutely fine so I have no idea what it was! Very strange!

Hope everyone is managing some sleep and getting some relief from colic x

Hi ladies,

You are right Nicola, I hardly get chance to turn the laptop on these days! Great to hear Caitlin was so well behaved at the restaurant... we are going out to our first restaurant tomorrow for fathers day with my dad and family so should be interesting! Lets hope Theon does as well as your little lady.

Glad the vomitting has settled too - they do like to worry us dont they!!

Megan, sorry to hear Ashleigh is suffering with colic too now. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (or their child I suppose!), its horrible!! The amount of stress and upset I have had over it, its awful. I tried the rolled up blanket and sleeping on his side thing. He slept like that for about 5 mins and then jolted himself awake and tried rolling on his front and couldnt so started screaming (but then screaming is what he does anyway!).

So after the HV said she would get me a prescription for colief I got a phone call from the GP yesterday saying he had left a prescription at reception at that he had also left a blue pot for us to hand in a stool sample. He said he wanted to send it away for testing to see if Theon has lactose intolerance. Cant believe how nice it is to be surprised at the efficiency of the NHS for once!! I really didnt think I would even get the prescription, never mind the offer to investigate it further!

So good news!! Yesterday Ric went and got the colief, and I went and bought some Dr Brown bottles. We started using both at about 1am (had to wait til he had a poo before he took any colief so the stool sample was untainted). Had another bad night and morning with him - still screaming as per usual so I had given up hope of it working. But then he fell asleep at about 2pm and something very strange happened... it got to 5pm, he still hadnt woken up, and he did a poo in his sleep!!! We were absolutely amazed as every poo has been preceded by about 3 hours of constant crying and screaming before today. He then came round later on, again without crying, and was quite content! He has been like a different baby this evening. I cant tell you what a nice change it makes. Until today, all his 'awake' time has been spent crying and screaming, but I was actually able to put him in his bouncer and play with him for a good hour without even a hint of a cry. It is just such a relief to have FINALLY helped him in some way, I have just felt like a terrible mother because there was nothing I could do to comfort him before. THANK YOU TO THE INVENTOR OF COLIEF - MY HERO!! Just hope this isn't a fluke and that we aren't going to have a relapse. Lets see what tonight brings.

So what is everyone up to for fathers day? I have made Ric a card with a photo of Theon and his hand print - well I say hand print, its more like a smudge because I couldnt get him to put his hand out and the blue paint just went EVERYWHERE! It was a complete nightmare, should have done his foot!! And whats worse is that he still has blue under his nails where I haven't been able to clean properly yet, so just had to keep his scratch mitts on all day to a) hide from daddy and b) stop him eating it from his hands! It's non-toxic and designed for doing baby handprints, but still, i'd rather him not ingest any. Ric better bloody love it!!!

Big love and hugs to everyone, and happy fathers day to all your OH's! x

So glad the meds are working for you. I think I will talk to my doctor about it as the stuff Ashley got for Ashleigh isn't quite cutting it.

I wish I would have thought of that for fathers day!!! He would have loved it!!!

Thinking about a dummy! She uses my nipples as a dummy I think!
Are any if you giving them to your babies yet?
X

Oh girls. Want to read something so funny! Read the reviews on this amazon item. Oh my!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B000KKNQBK/ref=aw_d_cr_drugstore?qid=1339967317&sr=8-1

Oh god megan that is hilarious, thanks for sharing!!

We have bern using a dummy since week one! Got one in the avent starter set and used it one day and havent looked back! He wont take it when hes screaming though...which is mostof the time. The colief didnt seem to so much last night but we're going to stick with it!

Here is a pic of rics fathers day card...well its more of a poster really! Oh and theon slept all the way through at the restaurant too, hurray x

Attachments

• 2012-06-17 12.02.08.jpg
    2012-06-17 12.02.08.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5
That's gorgeous x

Going to go to a baby cafe tomorrow and talk about the wind and dummy thing. See if there are any tips.

We have been using a dummy since the first hour! Lol! As soon as she came out she started sucking on her fingers. We didn't want that to become a habit so in went the dummy. I have mixed feelings on it though. While I love the fact that it comforts her and it quiets her down, I hate the fact that if she isnt sound asleep and it falls out, we are constantly having to put it back in for her. Can't wait for the day when she pops it back in herself! Lol!

I remember that senario with Chloe. Spent more time finding the dummy than we did sleeping!
Might wait and see if the thumb sucking and nipple sucking eases off or not. :) x

Hi ladies!!

I know it's so hard to find time to get on here now. I hope you are all good and have well behaves babies.

How is the colic situation for everyone now? Is the colief still working for you Leanne? How is Caitlin now Nicola? Connor sometimes has days where he is sick like that too, it can be scary!

We are back to using infacol for wind, tried dentinox and it didnt work so tried gripe water and that seemed to make it worse! Infacol seems to be the best. I can't really complain about it though as I don't have it as bad as everyone else has, he doesn't cry and settles relatively quickly. I asked the health visitor yesterday for tips on bringing his wind up and she said if he didn't bring it up when I sat him upright then he didn't have any!! Wtf?! What a load of rubbish!! I think the health visitors I have got their qualifications from the intwrnwt they are so hopeless! Connor weighs 10lb 2 now, my wee man is getting so big already! Can't believe he is 5 weeks and il be going for my 6 week pp check up next week!

Really trying to be healthy just now, really want to shift weight. I have lost about 2 stone since I weighed myself just before I had Connor. Still have about 2 stone to lose to get to what I weighed before having kids and would like to be half a stone below that so 2.5 stone to lose. Anybody have any tips or want to motivate each other to get back in shape? I am using my fitness pal app on my phone just now and really liking it since you can scan barcodes of stuff and it has all the calories etc already stored in it.

Anyway I better go and get dinner on before I have 2 screaming children on my hands.

Hope you are all good xxxxx

Glad to hear the colief gave you a bit of relief Leanne, is it still working or was it a one off? Hope you're managing some sleep and coping ok now that Ric is back at work. This is steven's last week off and I'm terrified of looking after her on my own. Guess I have to do it some time though!

We haven't given Caitlin a dummy so far. I did try her with it one night when she was really kicking off and it calmed her for half an hour or so but she didn't seem overly bothered about it so I've not bothered giving it to her since. She seems to be getting into a bit more of a routine now and the Infacol seems to have worked on her as she brings her wind up pretty easy now. I read something today that said induction drugs can make babies really fussy and unsettled for the first few weeks of their life so I'm thinking that may have contributed to it too. Last night was our best night so far - she slept for 4 straight hours on her Moses basket which has been unheard of up to now. So far she's only managed an hour at a time unless she's sleeping on me. I woke up at one point on my side and almost had a panic attack as I thought I'd fallen asleep with her on me and then turned over in my sleep and made her fall off. When I realised she was in her Moses basket I had another panic attack that she'd stopped breathing as she'd been there for so long without crying :) I really need to learn to relax a bit!

Her vomiting seems to have settled now thanks Suze. She still has the occasional bout but I'm just so relieved it's not every feed anymore. Had my first health visitor visit yesterday and she put my mind at ease about a lot of things. Didn't weigh her though as she was asleep and she didn't want to disturb her so I need to take her to the local Sure Start centre next Monday. It's only at the bottom of our street so it's quite handy!

I'm definitely up for the weight loss thing. I only got to my target weight in early 2010 so only got to wear my skinny clothes for a year and a half before getting pregnant. I gained 3.5 stone while I was pregnant and so far I've lost 1st 9lbs so I've got 1st 12lbs to go. I'd like another stone off after that too but I'm trying not to set my target too high straight away. Are you going to follow a particular plan? I lost 4 stone on weight watchers last time but was thinking of trying slimming world this time as the meal ideas are suitable for Steven to eat too if we just add extra pasta/rice etc to them. I'm dying to get back into exercise but not allowed to do any abdominal exercises til I get the all clear from the doc at my 6 week checkup which feels like a lifetime away.

Can I ask - is anyone else still bleeding? Mine had almost stopped but seems to have started up again. I was worried that there may be some placenta or something left over but I read my notes yesterday and it says I had an ERPC when I was taken back into surgery so I'm guessing they would have made sure they got everything then. I'm just a bit worried cos it seems like its been heavier over the last 4 days or so. I rang the MAU though and they just said to keep an eye on it.

Nicola I'm glad Caitlin is more settled now and you are getting more sleep. I hope it continues! Don't worry you will be fine yourself. You will fall into your own routine during the day quickly.

I am not sure if I wil join a plan yet. I'm going to see how I get on with just monitoring my calorie intake and exercise using that app. If its not working out I will probably join weight watchers or slimming world. Which one is better or are they pretty similar? I am not allowed to do any stomach exercises until I see a physio. When I was checked by the physio in hospital my stomach muscles were really far apart so need to have it checked again and given specific exercises to avoid hurting my back.

My bleeding has totally stopped now and has since about 2 and a half weeks post partum. Before it stopped though it got really heavy and I had bad cramping, like you I thought I had some retained placenta as I was passing quite large clots too. After the heavy bleeding it totally stopped though and I read it tends to get worse around that time before stopping so I'm sure that is just the case with you too xxxx

I wish mine had stopped :( 3 & 1/2 weeks now :( and it's red so no end in sight for me :(

Mine hasn't stopped either. It sucks really really bad! lol! As if sleepless nights, crying babies, sore boobs, and endless diaper changes weren't enough, lets add horrible cramps, bleeding and c-section pain to the mix!! Lol! I'm not complaining though. It's funny, most days I feel like crying my eyes out, but I wouldn't change it for the world!

I am so in for the weight loss thing. I know I have lost a ton so far as none of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit! Woohoo! But I haven't weighed yet. I wish it wasn't so hot here or I would take the kids out walking at the park. It was 104 today. And dry desert heat at that. I would take them to the mall and walk, but my 6yr old son is too much of a hand full to take somewhere like that on my own.

Oh, I wanted to ask, is anyone's LO holding their heads up yet? Over the last couple of days Zoey has started holding up her own head when I hold her at my shoulder. I will be burping her or such and she will just pop her little head up and turn it from side to side. This seems really early to me??

Yes Ashleigh is! And I was thinking the same. She is so strong too!
I have sore boobs too, well sore nipples really. I've nearly made it to 4 weeks breast feeding which is a great milestone. Next aim is for 6 weeks :) her dad gave her z bottle of formula yesterday so I could grab the kids whilst he stayed with her. She drank the whole lot! 5oz there was in that bottle. I think she left a dribble in the bottle. I tell you my boobs were throbbing by the time I got home! But she won't accept anything else but boobies from me so I think the breast is hear to stay!

Hi ladies,could you please say a prayer for Isobelle. Shes in the children's hospital and quite poorly. They think its an infection and shes on iv anti biotics and fluids. Shes had a lumber puncture and loads of bloods taken. Just waiting for ecg to be done. Temp up to 39 again and heart rate around 200. I'm in pieces here, trying to hold it together but just want her to get better. XxX

Aw Rose :hugs: sorry to hear this. I will say a prayer for Isobelle. She is in the best place. I hope she starts responding to treatment soon, I'm sure she will. I can't imagine what you are going through but il be thinking of you. Remember if you need to talk we are always here for you. Take care hun and hope to hear Isobelle is getting better soon :hugs: xxxx

Rose I'm so sorry to hear Isobelle is poorly, hoping and praying that she gets better soon and you get her back where she belongs with her family. You must be going through hell right now but try and stay strong, hope everything turns around for you soon xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->