MAY we all be blessed with baby!May '13 & beyond [Closed Parenting] 14 girls; 4 boys

@Katy, I pump 3x when I'm at work from 9-3:30 (I lose 45min each way in commuting which is why I only do it twice a week). Work is only a few miles away, but it's on a campus with no parking, so enter in walking and bussing time and there you have it. So I'm already pumping every 2hrs. My supply isn't the issue. LO is gaining weight like crazy and is perfectly satisfied just feeding on one side every few hours. I get pretty engorged every night when she goes 5-6 hrs. At work I listen to audio of her eating, watch videos of her and look at pictures. I've even taken her previously worn onesies to smell. As I wrote above, I think we're doing better now that they're giving her more reasonable sized bottles at daycare. It means I only need to pump 12-14oz during the day, not 16-18, and she eats better from me when she gets home rather than being stuffed from daycare. I make sure to feed her frequently when we're together too, even if she's not hungry yet I'll put her on every 2.5hrs or so to at least stimulate production. I was also having issues with my pump and I think they've been resolved now (Medela sent me a new one).
Thanks for your support guys, I guess I was just looking to commiserate with someone else who wishes they could just BF and not pump. I have a love/hate relationship with my pump.

My period came back at 4 months with DD but she was fully bottlefed at that point (mostly formula with the last of the expressed milk I had in the freezer) A lady in my December 2011 group had a December 2012 baby also! She ebf her oldest and is afaik still tandem feeding so it's certainly possible to get your period and fertility back when ebf... I remember at my 6 week check the GP asked me about contraception and said you wouldn't believe how many ladies were pregnant at that check!

Hi ladies! Guess I will join you over here now but will need to go back and catch up on the thread!

My period came back at 4 months with DD but she was fully bottlefed at that point (mostly formula with the last of the expressed milk I had in the freezer) A lady in my December 2011 group had a December 2012 baby also! She ebf her oldest and is afaik still tandem feeding so it's certainly possible to get your period and fertility back when ebf... I remember at my 6 week check the GP asked me about contraception and said you wouldn't believe how many ladies were pregnant at that check!

I'm secretly hoping that will happen to me at my 6 week check. I have it on the 30th. My pink CM only lasted a couple of hours and I did have a smear test earlier that day I can contribute that to. I'm also ff so I guess that also makes a difference.

Hey kksy9b. Welcome to the parenting thread :)

erikam1.jpg Going for coffee at 4 weeks old just as I've been lazy and not uploaded a photo for a while.

Happy belated Mother's Day everyone! :flow:

Just realized the last time I posted here I was having pumping issues. Those are gone. I think I just had to get in the swing of things pumping at work. I still don't like it, but I rarely have volume issues anymore and actually pump a few extra ounces each day. A friend of mine (that I met at birth class) had her baby the day after me. She has been struggling like no other and just isn't producing quite enough. She has been working with an LC for about 2 mos, on every supplement available, feeding every hour when with her baby and the list goes on.
Fortunately since my issues have worked themselves out I'm in the position to help her out. She's short by 2-3oz each day (pediatrician wants her LO to be eating more as her weight gain has been very slow). I'm taking her 65oz from my freezer this weekend for her to use to make up the difference while she continues to work with the LC.
There is a local group that collects and distributes breastmilk, but obviously the greatest priority is given to the littlest and/or sickest babies. As her baby is 3.5mos and not sick and still getting the majority of her milk from her mom, she wouldn't likely receive anything from them.
Donation is getting more common and easier. Please consider if you are able. I know my friend's heart is broken that she's having to struggle. If I can relieve her stress while she works to fix the issue, it's better for everyone. Right now I'm very optimistic that we can keep her baby on breastmilk alone until she can start supplementing with solids. Obviously she will supplement with formula (just the couple extra ounces a day) if the time comes, but for now her little one can continue to be EBF.
Just my PSA for the day :)

Melann, that is awesome that you are.able to help out. I haven't pumped yet as I am waiting for my supply to get in the swing of things. Definitely something to consider if I find I have extra.

Anyone else struggle with sore nipples even with a correct latch? Any tips? Second time around and dealing with it again. A few nurses have told me because I have very fair skin that it is worse...

You know Ive actually heard the fair skin sore nipple thing before a few times. Not sure if its true but Im pretty pale and suffer from sore nipples :haha: I also read that people with red hair are more sensitive to pain :shrug:

@Katy, I'm assuming this is beyond lanolin? The cooling pads are nice. Personally I used Medela breast shields for the first week or so because mine were cracking and clothes touching them was painful.
Disposable breast pads can make it more uncomfortable too.

Yep beyond lanolin. Darn sensitive skin I have. The breast shield is helping a bunch. I used it with my first and weaned off it after a few wks.

Breastfeeding is going well for me, and I've found breast milk Popsicles are great for a teething baby!

@Kwaggy, what do you make them in and how do you keep it from being messy? Felicity hasn't started teething yet, but I know it's coming!
So glad BFing is going well for you. Weren't you hesitant about it at the beginning? Meriter's LC helpline is a great resource too I've found.

In the beginning I was having trouble with supply, but I started taking goats rue and got a nice double electric breast pump(my health insurance paid for it yay!) now I don't have any supply issues, I think it just took us a while to get the hang of it:)

I use a Popsicle tray that I bought at Walmart...it is messy, she doesn't hold it herself quite yet, but she it starting to get the hang of it. I just put a bib on her and let her naw away on it. Lol she loves it.

Thanks Kwaggy. I just happened upon a really cool idea for them. I had been thinking about popsicle trays, but figured that'd use a lot of milk. I saw somewhere where they used bottle caps (like the Medea ones) and used a pacifier for the holder. I think I'm actually going to use a Medela cap with a nipple and collar for the stick and put one of the skinny 2.5 ounce bottles on it for her to hold (so the momsicle will be on top of the bottle). We don't use Medela bottles for feeding anyway, so I just have them sitting around.

Ladies with Medela pumps does your start off fast then after a minute or two sound like it slows down? Not sure if it's normal or broken.

MW recommended I pump five minutes a day for some labor inducing nipple stimulation so today I did. Felt some contractions but nothing too serious. My whole days now are on and off contractions! I got a bit of colostrum out! Pumping today reminded me of doing it with my second and I will say I REALLY hope I rarely have to use this thing this time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->