Mayhem Babies! May 2011 mummies and babies

What are softpaws?

Mainly, I want to declaw so the cat doesn't scratch the crap out of the baby, especially since he is/likely is abandoned or stray. He was so desperate to get close to me yesterday when I took his picture that he dug his claws deep into my leg. I don't want to risk that with the baby. Zoe, with her sensory issues, can also rough handle the cat. It's not easy to teach her to be gentle because she needs deep pressure, and if the cat were to retaliate, he might hurt her too much.

Mainly, it's for the protection of the kids, front claws only. We plan on him being only an indoor cat.

I personally wouldn't want a strange cat around my kid(s) or any cat. What about it's teeth brandi? They are prone to biting. My auntie gets attacked by her daughters cat for no reason, would you want to risk that with your bairns?

Just from what I've read and heard about, I dont have a cat, they are like plastic claw coverings that you glue on with special glue and they remove the need to declaw:thumbup: I think there's a spray thing or it could be a plug in thing lol called feliway (best check that!) that destresses a cat, that could help in the transition:flower:

I wouldn't get a cat in your situation - I thinks its cruel to declaw them, and they can still bite etc as harvey said. xx

I agree with Harvey, if you feel the need to to take such extremem measures is a cat, especially an anbandoned one, really the right animal for your family? If Zoe has issues with petting animals, would if be fair on the animal to keep them at all? If she over handled the pet and it reacted it would be the pet deemed at fault and could face being put down (depending how it reacted of course) So not only are you putting your kids in line of danger, but also the pet, through no real fault of its own! :shrug:

^^ true.

I dont think a new kitten would be any different though tbh, they'll want to bite etc too. If you do decide to keep the kitty,as you were getting one anyway,please dont declaw:flower:

My baby is being otherwise, I cant get her to feed or nap but shes both hungry and sleepy:dohh:

Talked to OH, it went well, I hope he sticks to what he said though. He knows I will be leaving if things don't change between us and I told him about the convo with my mum earlier and he looked really shocked, he totally agrees to councelling and we talked about how this all started after the attack and we reacted wrongly, instead of pulling together it drove us apart as we were struggling to deal with it, I feel really positive.

We haven't insulted each other yet tonight and on his way home from work I called him to tell him I love him which I haven't done in years, his immediate response was "oh god, whats wrong now?" :haha: He was genuinely shocked when I said I just wanted him to know I love him. Its been really, nice, almost like how it was, but we haven't talked much, we are in the habit of not really talking.

Kiddoes are in bed and asleep, Dylan was a bit iffy with his dinner, he ate his gammon, a tiny bit of pineapple and thats it, he really isn't doing brilliant with dinners. Bethany however, OMG she couldn't ram her food down fast enough! I only gave her a teeny sliver of gammon as it isn't very healthy but she adored the peas and root veg mash! x x

Wow iv been cleaning out the cupboards :haha: Im expected AF in the first week of February so thats probably why :haha: Leos sleeping peacfully after being out form 8:30 til 4pm :wacko: We went to a Hungry Horse pub and he had a kids meal of 3 fish fingers, mash and beans and he ate 3/4s of the mash(bout the size of an adults hand) half the beans, and 2.5 fish fingers :wacko: Cant believe he ate so much in one go. He made such a mess and was busy watching a little girl because she had a balloon :haha: we got him one and he was waving it around in the car mesmerised! OH and I had a big plate meal and millionaires shortbread sundaes, they were amazing :cloud9:

It'll be a good opportunity to try and teach her to be more gentle. If he bites her, then maybe she'll learn faster not to hurt him. The last time we had a cat, she was 2 or 3 years old, so for all we know, she may have "gotten older enough" to know better or to be able to be taught.

Besides, I think it's MORE cruel to just leave the cat out in the freezing cold. It's like -17 at night and all he has is Zoe's car seat in the garage to sleep in. He needs a warm house. He tries to play with the kids through the window, and he just wants to be close to people. I don't see him lashing out at the kids.

Just one warning regarding delawing, some cats can act out in other ways after it has happened, refusing to use the litter tray, peeing everywhere, excessive biting and aggressiveness, I'm not having a go, this was something I ran across when I was looking for ways to stop my cat being agressive, declawwing came up, I had never heard of it so looked into it. We had to give Smokey back to my mum in the end, he was just too terrified of Dylan that it was cruel to keep him with us, I still get to see him though, he is really happy now, although still runs and hides when he sees Dylan, poor bubba only wanted to give him a cuddle. :haha:

On a personal note, I would rather my children were scratched by a cat than bitten, the germs in a cats mouth can cause really nasty infection :(

Biting in worse than scratching for germs, so definately don't declaw if you are wanting the kids to learn to be gentle! Do you not have rescue centers for abandoned animals where you are to take it to if you dont keep it? xx

Bloody hell 24 - When did you get up to nearly 18k posts!!

Warning ladies, I think we have a spammer among us :haha:

:rofl: No spamming posts from me, all valuable contributions. :smug: xx

User Name Posts
new_to_ttc 3,293
mummy3 2,751
Wiggler 1,991
harveydog 1,630
24/7 1,401
BrandiCanucks 1,087
heyyady 882
MilosMommy7 706

Top posters in here.... xx

I'm hoping to hit 10k soon, I need to start welcoming the newbies again :haha:

Damn me for lurking :rofl:

User Name Posts
new_to_ttc 3,293
mummy3 2,751
Wiggler 1,991
harveydog 1,630
24/7 1,401
BrandiCanucks 1,087
heyyady 882
MilosMommy7 706

Top posters in here.... xx

NEW!!! Thats disgraceful!!! :haha: x x x

I dont welcome newbies. :rofl: Its my journal and then all the assosciated journals that bump up my posts. :haha: xx

I follow 2 journals, but not brilliant with them, my journal was DOA - I need to remove the link really :haha: and I rarely post ouside of here, but trying to more as my low confidence is affecting me online so its helping me. I have only posted 4 threads ever and the last one I posted I was there nearly having a panic attack for 30 minutes before I had the guts to post it. Not brilliant really.

:blush: ermmmmmm Im just a friendly talkative kinda lass......

ok off to rescue a little bubba that has decided sleeping in his cot is definitely the worse thing I could have ever expected him to experience at such an impressionable age :dohh:

Aww poor little guy!

My friend who moved up north a few years ago has been texting me and we FINALLY have something in common, I have been telling him about the WoT books for YEARS and he finally started reading the first one, he just finished it and is hooked :haha: I have brilliant taste in books :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->