Meal ideas for camping !

DippyTink

Mummy to twin boyos !!
Reaction score
Anybody got any different ideas for food when camping ?
Taking a chilli to reheat one night but looking for something different other than burgers etc

Thanks !

Kinda depends on what your taking to cook with? You could do kebabs/ risotto/stew/fish/ wraps/ pasta...

Luckily where we are camping, there are a few supermarkets in the next town, so we can pop out to get things we need

I agree - it really depends what kind of camping you are doing and what you have to cook with. Are you hiking, ie do you have to worry about the weight of the food as you have to carry it in to the campsite?

Any combination you can think of to wrap in foil packets and toss on the fire. Fish and veggies, or hamburger and potatoes with some seasonings are both good ones.

I know this isn't a meal but when I go camping or have a BBQ I just love to eat this after. Get a banana with the skin still on and slice it long ways but not all the way through and fill with chocolate buttons. Wrap in tin foil and put on BBQ, stove, in oven or whatever until the chocolate has melted. It's all kinds of magic ;)

I know this isn't a meal but when I go camping or have a BBQ I just love to eat this after. Get a banana with the skin still on and slice it long ways but not all the way through and fill with chocolate buttons. Wrap in tin foil and put on BBQ, stove, in oven or whatever until the chocolate has melted. It's all kinds of magic ;)

I do this too!! :thumbup:

Sausage and Mash is always a first night camping meal for us. Something about eating it out doors makes it taste Devine!! :)
Curry is also good - have fun!

If you have a stove and pan you're options are huge!!

Corned beef hash
Pan haggerty
Omelettes
Curry with naan
Chilli with tortilla
Fajitas
Grilled cheese sandwiches
Eggy bread
Pancakes
Fritters
Stirfry using straight to 'wok' noodles or rice
Any number of casseroles/tagines/stews

Any combination you can think of to wrap in foil packets and toss on the fire. Fish and veggies, or hamburger and potatoes with some seasonings are both good ones.

This is what we do all the time. Our favorite is polish sausage sliced up with potatoes and carrots. We call them "hobo dinners."

I put in another vote for the banana dessert. SO SO GOOOD!!!!

While you certainly can do just about anything if you have a portable stove and normal size pans, I kind of think that doing at least one traditional campfire dinner is part of the charm! :)

The more I think about the bananas I may just need to pop to the shops tomorrow for some chocolate buttons!

Thanks for all the ideas - will try the banana one for the twins - they will love it !

You can try chicken chili for something different. Chicken chili, also known as “white chili” to some campers, is a dinnertime classic at many campsites. To make it, get a bed of hot coals smoldering. Then throw a pan on top, coat it with vegetable oil, and put the chicken breast in it. Cover it and let it cook until no pink is left in the breast (or about 165 degrees Fahrenheit). While it’s cooking, combine the broth, beans, onion, and seasonings in a separate pot and stir. When the chicken is done, dice it, toss it in the pot along with everything else, and let it simmer over the coals for 20-30 minutes.

Or sloppy joes. It's really just ground up beef simmered in a sweet but bbq like sauce on hamburger buns with cheese. You can grill some fresh corn on the cob as well on the grill and do some sliced potatoes with butter, pepper, and garlic on them. All you do is slice the potatoes into thin quarter like slices in a neat row, season it with butter and garlic powder, and let it cook on the grill wrapped in foil. They come out tender and full of flavor! You can also take french bread, season it with butter and garlic powder and let it heat over the grill until the butter/garlic has melted into the bread and the outside is crunchy.

It's sooo yummy.

As dessert in Florida we often take marshmellows and put them on a stick and let them sit over the open fire for 20-30 seconds until they are heated and a little crunchy on the outside. We then take two halves of a gram cracker and a piece of hershey chocolate and put make it into a sandwich. The marshmellow and chocolate melt together and the sweet gram crackers give it a nice crunch. It's soooo good!

This... But instead of choc buttons try a splash of brandy or rum and a spoonful of brown sugar.. Hmmmm :happydance:

You can try chicken chili for something different. Chicken chili, also known as “white chili” to some campers, is a dinnertime classic at many campsites. To make it, get a bed of hot coals smoldering. Then throw a pan on top, coat it with vegetable oil, and put the chicken breast in it. Cover it and let it cook until no pink is left in the breast (or about 165 degrees Fahrenheit). While it’s cooking, combine the broth, beans, onion, and seasonings in a separate pot and stir. When the chicken is done, dice it, toss it in the pot along with everything else, and let it simmer over the coals for 20-30 minutes.

Or sloppy joes. It's really just ground up beef simmered in a sweet but bbq like sauce on hamburger buns with cheese. You can grill some fresh corn on the cob as well on the grill and do some sliced potatoes with butter, pepper, and garlic on them. All you do is slice the potatoes into thin quarter like slices in a neat row, season it with butter and garlic powder, and let it cook on the grill wrapped in foil. They come out tender and full of flavor! You can also take french bread, season it with butter and garlic powder and let it heat over the grill until the butter/garlic has melted into the bread and the outside is crunchy.

It's sooo yummy.

As dessert in Florida we often take marshmellows and put them on a stick and let them sit over the open fire for 20-30 seconds until they are heated and a little crunchy on the outside. We then take two halves of a gram cracker and a piece of hershey chocolate and put make it into a sandwich. The marshmellow and chocolate melt together and the sweet gram crackers give it a nice crunch. It's soooo good!

Yes I love s'mores yummy!!

It's sooo yummy.

Yes I love s'mores yummy!!

I know, mmmmm!

This... But instead of choc buttons try a splash of brandy or rum and a spoonful of brown sugar.. Hmmmm :happydance:

I will be trying this for sure this summer! That sounds amazing!

We was down at the inlaws caravan with all the family this bank hol and we had a traditional BBQ there is so much you can cool on there besides sausages. The steak was amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->