Melon and other fruits

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
I havent tried Alex with much fruit other that apples and pears, mostly because i dont eat any and i dont know what to do with half of them! :blush:

I asked OH to get a melon to try Alex with but what do i do with it?
I think hes getting the yellow skinned one.

What else can i offer Alex aswell and can you tell me how to serve it :lol:

If its any help, he doesnt have the pincer grasp yet...

Here's a piccy with Charlotte eating melon at about 6/7mths IMG_0100.jpg

Satsumas I just break up into the pieces and put it on her tray she usually just sucks on them. Banannas I buy the small kids ones and just give her it whole. Mango and Cucumber is her favourite I just cut that into sticks and leave the skin on to help her grip it, can't think what else......

I would make sure when giving satsumas that you take the thin skin off, it's really easy for them to choke on them if a piece slips down whole, if you take the little skin off they are fine.

Melon I just give in slices. Just chop it up and take the seedy bit out.

Freya loves raspberries, just give them whole, strawberries, chop them in half. Blueberries, give whole, Freya loves them too, they stain though!

Grapes, chop in half.

Blackberries, give whole.

Big oranges, I chop with a knife into segments, then slice the skin off. Not as time consuming as some think at all.

:)

Bananas I cut in half and then half in length
Grapes cut in half
Plums and necturines in quarters (like I do with apple) and obviously stones removed

Do you leave the skin on fruits like nectarine, pear, apple etc?

You can buy them pre-cut/washed ready to eat packs in the supermarkets I get them sometimes cause they have everything already cut into finger...they are reduced alot of the time too and thats when I nab them...great when they just learning to grasp things and if you don't eat it then theres not so much waste either. x

It's a good idea to leave the skin on as it is less slippery for them to hold. They eventually learn to eat it and leave the skin.

I do as Maccy says - with melon i get the packs of pre prepared for Ruby. I know it's expensive, but whole melons look very difficult to chop up.

We tried Ruby with blueberries for the first time today, she did great at picking them up but they kept falling out of her mouth. They might not be so good for a baby who hasn't got the pincer grip yet though.

Im terrified of giving my lo anything like fruits to eat herself after she choked on water melon the other day!

Maisie loves her fruit! Ive tried her on apple,banana,pear,mango,melon,pineapple,papaya and she loves them all! I always buy the little prepacked fruit packs from asda xx

My son loves fruit I have given him all kinds.

Blueberries, Raspberries and Blackberrires i just give him whole to eat. I would still consider giving them to your LO even if he doesnt have a pincer grasp because its good practice and you can help him in the end. My son's grasp improved after a week or two of giving him small food to eat (he had it between 7.5 and 8 months).

Pineapple is really good--its better tinned or in those plastic cup because its softer than fresh pineapple, just cut it up really small. If you buy fresh, cut the top off then cut all the outside off it. Then slich the inner part, then finally cut the slices into small pieces.

Strawberries I just cut in half.

Orange and similar types of fruit, peel, seperate all the wedges and then cut the membrane/skin off the wedges with a knife or at least losen it a bit and make the wedges smaller.

Bananas just peel and cut into slices or chunks.

Kiwi fruit, just peel and cut into small pieces.

Mango, cut in half. Remove seeds, then separate all the soft fruit from the hard outer covering and cut into small chunks. Mangos have a hard core in the center so just cut around it.

Watermelon is great just have to remove all the seeds, can either leave the green outbit on for him to hold or remove it and cut it into small pieces.

You can remove skin from peaches/plums by imersing them in boiling water for a minute and then peeling it off. They are slippery to hold and eat so you can leave the skin on if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->