Metformin & PCOS

Girls

I hope you dont mind me jumping in here.
I was diagnosed in Jan with PCOS and put on met 1500g, but GP just upped it too 2550 daily? is that too much? is anyone else taking that amount?
i expected her to up it too about 2000g but im on 3 x 850's a day?

thanks in advance xxx

Welcome MrsG30.. I shall be completing my first week on metformin tomorrow. Not sure about the your dosage. I personally have never heard of such a high dosage.

Welcome MrsG ... hopeful your Metformin dosage keep you Ovulate with regulsting mensis too <3

Afm, i has heavy bleeding with blood clots for 3 days aftertht nothing... so tdy i take bath
now waiting for CD11 to go for scan again ..
this time m just dishearted and thinking to stop taking Metformin :/

Congrats markswife!

Welcome Mrs.G! I'm on 1500mg daily, but I have heard of ladies taking 2000mg daily. :shrug: sorry I can't be of much help!

So happy for all our preggo ladies! Its like all of a sudden everyone started getting preggo :D Congrats again to all.

Hey ladies- I am on CD 1 this morning. It has been a relief to finally end that loooong cycle. I am keeping busy with the end of the year stuff both for my grad work and job. I am looking forward to summer break in four weeks!!

How is everyone else doing?

woow thts good krissie finally you got the witch, i was also totally freakout with this long cycle of 50 days for the first time ... i'm on CD7 tdy ...

good luck with your study plan, hope summer week will end happily :)

Hi ladies,

As some of you know, I don't mess with Metformin any more. I don't even remember how much I used to take - it been that long ago. So I'm not much help either, but that amount does sound like a lot. :huh: I probably shouldn't be partisipating on a thread titled metformin & PCOS, but here I am. :haha: My update is that I am on CD14 and am hopefully going to o soon. I'm not feeling the mid-cycle cramps though. But I'm not complaining. I would like to be one of those women who doesn't get mittlesmertz (sp?). The CM is not cooperating like it did last month. I think o was on CD16 last month, and maybe I'm not going to o that soon this time. So that is pretty much it for me.

Good lucj Swetmelm its secobd day at end m also nt taking Metformin... reason its f,inished and DH dun have time to go outside :/

let see where this cycle goes on, m on CD67 and waiting for CD11, will go for scan onceagain

Aein, so you decided not to take the Metformin for now? You might not need it. It is suppose to be a medication for people with blood sugar issues. Have you ever tracked your blood sugar? I generally have a low blood sugar level and have never been above 150. I have taken it and it was 55 (really low). I haven't checked it in such a long time. I need to buy a monitor of my own and check my blood sugar every once in a while. So did you still take the Clomid? Or did you stop that for now too?

Swetmel, no i didnt chk my sugar level yet, just Dr prescribed it by saying its not for sugar issue but for PCOs, and i dun know should i stop it or nt, may be on Tuesday visit i will ask Dr, let see what she suggest

plus i also study if we PCOser concieve at any stage so it shouldnt be stopped till first trimester as it will decrease chances of abortion/mc...

the ladies who concieved please share with us, are you going through Metformin or nt? wt Dr saying

I know what the doctors say. I just doubt them, because it didn't help me. I conceived both of my boys without Metformin and without Clomid. Don't misunderstand me. I think that it has been wonderful for some women, and if that is how they get children, then all the better. I think those two drugs are wildly over presribed and are thrown at women when the doctor doesn't know what else to do. They are not a cure all/ fix all. Even doctors will tell you that if these drugs do not work after 6 months, they aren't going to.

I feel Metformin is the ONLY reason why I'm pregnant now. I was told I have PCOS and IR back in Aug 2012 and Metformin would be given to help with the IR. I don't have diabetes or any sugar issues, if anything in that department my sugar level is perfect. My OB GYN bumped me to 1000mg then 3 months later 1500mg for 3 days and then 2000mg. I've been on the 2000mg and losing weight and bam, DH & I must of just timed it right. I didn't even have to use Clomid. I am taking my 2000mg Metformin along with my prenatal vitamins. I have my first appointment next week when i'm 8 weeks and will talk more to my OB GYN about it. I could of swore my OB GYN said i might be on Metformin throughout my pregnancy when we were talking about my DH & I trying, but i will update you next week on what she says.

I went for a second opinion on using Metformin. What I have heard from a relative (who is also an OBGYN), Metformin should only be used if you have been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. For me, my sugar level was normal, but insulin was way up high in the blood test. If not treated, IR can result in future Type 2 diabetes. So a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet combined with some exercise and Metformin should help with Insulin Resistance.

Hi ladies :wave: I've finally caught up on all I missed in this thread!

Markswife- Congrats on your bfp!! :happydance: That's amazing! :D

MrsG - I was only ever on 1500mg of immediate release met. I've never heard of anyone taking more than 2000mg, sorry! :shrug:

Bunny - I'm so glad to hear your scan went well and you got to hear the heartbeat!! :D Don't worry about the "viability" scan - I had one too at 5 weeks and the name freaked me out as well so I asked about it. My doc told me that they call it that because it's primary purpose is to check that the LO has embedded in the right place (ie: uterus instead of tubes). I'm excited for you for your scan in two weeks - it's amazing how much the baby grows in that short period of time!

Krissie - congrats with wrapping up this year of your grad work! Hopefully you'll get to relax more during your summer break! :)

SweetMel - I knew you were doing great with your low carb gluten free diet, but I hadn't realized that you had stopped the met - that's awesome!!! It's always better to do it naturally if you can! :thumbup: I wish my body would have cooperated like that without all the meds! I also see that you're at your half point for your weight loss - congrats!! Hopefully your cm will cooperate and you'll O soon!! GL! :)

Aein - hopefully this will be your month! Let us know how your cd11 scan goes! <3

Hippie - how are you feeling??

For the ladies who were wondering about taking met while you're pregnant - my OB had me continue it until the end of my 12th week. She said that it helps reduce the chance of m/c in the first trimester.

Afm - along the met, I also stopped my progesterone suppositories at the end of my 12th week (I was on 200mg x 3 daily for my LP defect caused by low progesterone). My OB had told me that my placenta would take over by the 10th week and would then regulate the progestetone on it's own, but that they always continue until the 12th week as a safety net. Well, stopping the progesterone made me a bit of an emotional nutcase :haha: I was TERRIFIED that my placenta wasn't working properly and that my progesterone levels would drop and I would m/c. I even spent most of the first day without it crying (my poor dh lol). It's been almost a week now and I feel much better and (knock on wood) have had no problems or complications with stopping. I swear these hormones are gonna make me crazy! :haha:

:dust: to all you ladies!!! <3

Hi ladies

Just wanted to let you's know I had quite a bad car accident yesterday and wrapped my car round a tree. Slipped on deisel and have wrote off my car. Main thing is I'm fine a part from a badly cut up hand and some bruises and stiffness today. No one could believe I managed to walk away from it cos my car was that bad. But I'm absolutely fine :)

Ohhh Bunnh thanks God you are fine, pleass dear be careful always <3

i read all above comments and things are sumhow clear in mind...,.
one Q is in my mind, if my both Ovaries are clear, no abnofmality seen... so should i have still cysts inside???
Dr say i have PCOS but how can i be sure is there any cysyt inside or not?? without cysts it can be called as PCOS....

Bunny I am SO glad you are OK! Praise God, He was looking out for you for sure! <3 :hugs:

Hi ladies

Just wanted to let you's know I had quite a bad car accident yesterday and wrapped my car round a tree. Slipped on deisel and have wrote off my car. Main thing is I'm fine a part from a badly cut up hand and some bruises and stiffness today. No one could believe I managed to walk away from it cos my car was that bad. But I'm absolutely fine :)

Holy moly... Good to know that you are safe. Take care!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->