Middle name for Thor

J

JackiePed

Keep in mind, I'm not asking if you like the name Thor :) I already know there are strong reactions to this name. So if you hate the name, just don't tell me :winkwink: (I've seen women on other forums get ripped apart for considering the name Thor... rude!) We also decided that we do not want to make Thor the middle name, so no need to suggest that either. I've thought of it, and we decided that if we want to call him Thor, it needs to be his first name. He can always fall back on his middle name if he runs for Senate or becomes a published University research lead.

But I'm curious what middle names go well.... Husband likes Thor Alexander. I think that Thor goes well with a name that starts with a short A sound, an N sound, a D sound, an L sound.... maybe others....
and I think it will sound best with a name that has at least 3 syllables.

Any ideas that sound better or as good as Thor Alexander?

Also, while I'm on it... if we DID consider making his first name a 'full name' that had 'Thor' as a nickname, like Thorin... what would you suggest? I really like Thorin, but my husband says it's dumb to have Thorin and Lauren (dd is name Lauren already). Thorodin... kind of funny since Odin is Thor's father in the myth... but looks awkward. Can't do Thorton... too close to SIL's last name "Thornton". He could be Gunthor or Luthor... but honestly I think putting 'Thor' at the end of the name takes away from the coolness of having Thor for a name.

any other 'full name' ideas?

Hmmm... what about Thorsten?..... or Thorston....Thorstan? Thorstin?.....

Nahhh nevermind. the -sten names seem to just soften it too much.

i havent a clue babe but with a short 1 sylable 1st name i think the middle name has to be 2 or sounds better as 2, same as if you have a 1 sylable last name i think it sounds better with 2 sylable 1st name.

if you like thor then just keep it as thor rather than adding extra bits to it x

I think Alexander is pretty hard to top for a middle name but how about

Benjamin
Alastair
Gregory
Julius
Archer

I also agree with the PP if you're set on Thor for a first name then have Thor, the only other suggestion I can make is Theodore but you risk people shortening it to Theo rather than Thor even if you try and push the nickname.

I think Alexander is pretty hard to top for a middle name but how about

Benjamin
Alastair
Gregory
Julius
Archer

I also agree with the PP if you're set on Thor for a first name then have Thor, the only other suggestion I can make is Theodore but you risk people shortening it to Theo rather than Thor even if you try and push the nickname.

Thanks for those suggestions! ...and you're right ...--- Theo...... ew. :winkwink:

how are you pronouncing thor?

th aw??

It will be pronounced exactly as it looks phonetically (in the U.S.) ... so with a "Th" sound, followed by "or"... the 'r' at the end will be pronounced. Like, it will rhyme with "door", and "four", and "more". :)

I don't have any suggestion, just didn't want to read and run. My husbands friend wanted to name his son Thor, but his wife wouldn't allow it and it may end up as a nickname to her dismay. My husband also goes to a comic book store where a guys name is Thor. People gave us grief at first for choosing to name our son Loki, but everyone who did at the time now say it is the perfect name for him and couldn't imagine him with a different name. If you're set on Thor, don't change anything. As a side note, were contemplating Freya as a girls name this time around. I love seeing or reading about other people using those type names :)

My mother's cousin is Thor, nothing wrong with the name!

How about

Thor Sebastian
Thor Addison
Thor Xavier

[QUOTE
But I'm curious what middle names go well.... Husband likes Thor Alexander. I think that Thor goes well with a name that starts with a short A sound, an N sound, a D sound, an L sound.... maybe others....
and I think it will sound best with a name that has at least 3 syllables[/QUOTE]

Good thinking! We have the same naming philosophy :)

Thor Andrew (only 2 syllables)
Thor Adrian
Thor Alistair
Thor Anthony

Thor Nathaniel
Thor Nathan
Thor Nicholas
Thor Newton
Thor Norton

Thor Daniel
Thor Darian
Thor Damien
Thor Dixon
Thor Duncan

Thor Lucas
Thor Laurence
Thor Lyndon

I really like Thor Nathaniel (the starting letters really work well together and aren't too similar)
I also like Thor Anthony and Thor Lyndon

Go with Thor :) great name!
Possible middle names:
Thor Magnus
Thor Patrick

I also like Thor Benjamin

good luck xx

Thor could be short for Thornton.

My DH just piped in with his middle name suggestion - Danger!

He likes that for a middle, but personally, I like Thor Alexander, I think that sounds great together. :)

I love the name!! well the scandinavian original, have you considered using tor? i think it sounds so great with the rrr at the end. I have tor and freja on my list for when i eventually get a baby to name :) i think we would have björn as a middle name as i feel if you have a short 1st name and a long middle name it kind of takes emphesis away from the 1st name.

on another note i saw the cutest little baby vest in stockholm last week it was black and had "tor god of thunder" on it with funky picture... i was so tempted to buy it... I could allways give it away if i never found a peronal need for it hehe

x

Bassdesire-- I like Thor Nathaniel, too. Hubby likes Thor Xavier, but I feel like he needs a somewhat less unique middle name to fall back on, in case he feels like he needs that, career-wise.

Kimmylotta-- LOL.... Danger!
Can't use Thornton, because SIL's last name is Thornton. I do like the sound of Alexander though... Nice n strong. :)

Love the name Thor!! Thor Alexander sounds really good together. My son's name is Erik Bjorn (had to pick a Norwegian name). I wanted to give him Bjorn as a first name but everyone said it was too weird, so I still regret making it a middle name. Thor is an awesome first name, just the way it is, short, strong and deep. Love it!

I like Thor Alexander,2 strong names!
And if you're looking for a name Thor could be short for, what about Theodore?

Well hubby hates the name Theodore, but I honestly don't blame him... I only think of Theodore the chipmunk, or Theo from the Cosby show!

I agree, Thor and Alexander are both strong names... like Alexander the Great. :) This kid's gonna have alot to live up to.... LOL
I asked my husband, "What if he ends up one of those skinny, geeky kids and has to carry around a name as big as 'Thor'? :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->