Military Wives/Fiances/Girlfriends Support Group

Hi ladies haven't been on here a while, hope you are all well
So hubby has got his posting to move to RAF Brize Norton in June (currently we're at Lyneham) it's stressing me out a little as anyone who knows about the big move they have no housing at Brize and have located housing at 4/5 other bases nearby(ish!)
Don't know whether it's worth asking if there is housing at Brize as we only have one car and I'm back at uni in September in Birmingham and need the car for that, so if we get housing elsewhere we will need two cars which we can't afford.
Hate the uncertainty of it all!!

Lyneham is about half a mile from where I grew up :thumbup:

Abingdon and Didcot are both fairly close to Brize, or Carterton (village where Brize is based) is nice if you can get a private letting x

hi ladies,

how do y'all like the bases that you are stationed at?

I haven't really spent much time on base here. I'm not the typical military wife because I don't shop at the commissary or on base at all. So I never have a reason to go there. As for the area I'm at. It's beautiful here. At first I hated it because california people are complete assholes but it's really grown on me. :D I was in virginia before this and we loved it there too. I'm pretty easy to please though. :haha:

yeah it didnt come round for ages which was great but im not expecting it to stay that way think. he works in a little bay for is literally just on a big rotating list which comes round every 4 ish years if he was to go onto a squadron (which is likely as he is in the porcess of getting promoted) then he would go away pretty much every year but generally for 3 months instead of 4.
he goes away to lots of other places tho but obviously they arent a worry for me, last year he did a month in vegas 3 weeks in france and 2 in germany.
does ur oh go away lots then? xx

I'm sorry I meant to respond to this the day you posted but I got distracted by Emma and forgot to come back to it. :dohh: My husband and I have been married nearly 7 years and he's been gone in total over 2 years of that. Probably more like 3 if I really added it all. :wacko: We've had a few longer deployments. 7.5 months was the longest. A 6 month, a 3 month, and now we are doing a 6.5 month deployment. Than some smaller ones. A day, week, month at time etc. In the navy you have shore duty and sea duty. He has 4 years sea duty, than 2 years shore duty. When on shore duty you don't have to leave at all. So that was a great 2 years. :haha: But now he's back on sea duty until 2012. He's missed half of Emma's life. :cry:

I feel like I need a dose of perspective. I'm really happy DH is home and I thought I wouldn't care how long of hours he might have to work because at least he is home now... but he's back at work and now it looks like he's going to be gone from 6am to 8pm just about every day for at least the next 5 months, possibly for the whole next year or two. I'm feeling crushed. I've been a real bitch to him the last few days because I've been so upset about it. I know I need to get a grip and come to terms with reality for now. It's hard because I feel like he's going to miss out on LO all week because she'll be going to bed by the time he gets home, plus that leaves me with no time off from childcare. I sort of feel like he's responsible for this because he had/has a bit of choice about jobs and it feels like he's chosen this position with the long hours because its better for him and not because its better for us.

I think I should probably trust that he's doing his best and just get over it... I don't know.

Any words of wisdom? Anyone else in a similar boat?

yeah it didnt come round for ages which was great but im not expecting it to stay that way think. he works in a little bay for is literally just on a big rotating list which comes round every 4 ish years if he was to go onto a squadron (which is likely as he is in the porcess of getting promoted) then he would go away pretty much every year but generally for 3 months instead of 4.
he goes away to lots of other places tho but obviously they arent a worry for me, last year he did a month in vegas 3 weeks in france and 2 in germany.
does ur oh go away lots then? xx

I'm sorry I meant to respond to this the day you posted but I got distracted by Emma and forgot to come back to it. :dohh: My husband and I have been married nearly 7 years and he's been gone in total over 2 years of that. Probably more like 3 if I really added it all. :wacko: We've had a few longer deployments. 7.5 months was the longest. A 6 month, a 3 month, and now we are doing a 6.5 month deployment. Than some smaller ones. A day, week, month at time etc. In the navy you have shore duty and sea duty. He has 4 years sea duty, than 2 years shore duty. When on shore duty you don't have to leave at all. So that was a great 2 years. :haha: But now he's back on sea duty until 2012. He's missed half of Emma's life. :cry:

aww bless hun i can only imagine how hard it must be missing out on seeing his little girl grow up. hoping the next 9 months fly and he'll be back on shore and not go away for ages ;) xxxx

Hi! My DH was in the Army (Household Cavalry) and came out three years ago. After a year out, he wanted back in. An application that took nearly a year resulted in them not taking him back on because of cuts (crazy, as it's easier to take on a trained soldier than a 16 year old, but I digress). He applied for a different regiment only to get knocked back after a few months. He decided for one last go and went for the RAF this time, firefighter to be specific.

He got his call today, saying he's in. No dates for basic yet, but I'm so happy for him and us! I imagine we'll be staying put for probably the rest of this year, as the firefighter training is five months long after he does his nine weeks basic.

I'm hoping we can stay in the Southeast, but I'm excited for a move regardless of where we go. I'll miss my job, but I should be able to find another. And the best bit - I can cut back my own work hours soon, do my doula course and stay home with my little man more!

Hi MandaAnda my hubby is RAF too :)
Good luck to your fella for his training

Hello everyone!

Name: Samantha

Military Branch: US Air Force

How long he's been in: Husband has been in for 7 and I have been in for 5.

Currently Deployed?: Not at the moment.

How long you've been together: Together for 7 years, married for 6 years.

How do you like the Military Life?: I love what I do. It has it's downsides from time to time but I would never change what I have gotten to do with my life because of the military!

name: shana
military branch: marine corp
dh been in for almost 8 years, and getting out next year.
we have been together for 3 years
I dont like military life that much but getting an paycheck is good no matter what so .

Hi! I was very excited when I found this group!! My hubby to be has been in the military ( Canadian) since Oct 2010. I found while he was gone to basic easier then now when hes stationed only 3 hours away!! During basic he was in Montreal, and thats 6 hours from my home, now hes away 3 hours and I see him weekends! It feels harder now, not sure why. Maybe because its all become such routine and I'm thinking.. this is it.. till we sell and move!! Its definatly hard but I feel that being able to make it through shows how committed and how strong your love is for one another, its so easy to just give up. We are by far the most strong independant women out there ladies!! We are currently ttc, and thats is very hard given we only see eachother weekends, but my fingers are crossed!!!! best wishes to you all!

is anyone in the usa, worried about the proposed military pay being cut during shutdown.

How many months would it be shut down for? Do you know? I've been saving for a new car for a few months so we have enough to get us by from that but I wonder if they would expect us to pay rent in the military housing since it is usually paid for with our BAH. :shrug:

Yes, we're concerned. Hubby doesn't think it will affect pay for more than a month, but he doesn't really know. So grateful that we listened to Suze Orman and saved a couple of months of living expenses in case of emergency.

Sam, I have a hard time imagining them charging you rent... It'd be a huge administrative hassle and they probably wouldn't get paid anyway.

I hope not. As long as they don't charge rent than we'd be okay for a few months even if they stopped paying us. But our rent in this place is $1850 a month. :shock: There's no way I could afford that out of pocket for a few months. :nope:

If it comes to that (which it won't) then just don't pay. seriously, what are they going to do, evict you? It'd be the civilians processing the payments and kicking people out and they'll all be off work.

Yeah no one thinks it will be for a longer than a month, but last night they agreed on a budget deal, so so far it isnt happening. we shall see if it passes on wednesday of next week. If it does, nothing to worry about. Just pray it does. some of us, do not have the extra savings, I know I dont. we live paycheck to paycheck.

I hear you, 9Babiesgone. I think it will go through. very relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->