Milk and weaning

S

stargirlll

I know that milk should still be a main food source for babies up until 12 months but I'm confused as to the amount to milk. At the moment my lo is having 5 feeds a day of around 180 ml. He is nearly sleeping through the night without a night feed. On the side of the formula box it says I should continue this up until he reaches 6 months (or a certain weight that he is nowhere near) when it reduces to 3 feeds. Are the formula makers stating that because 'most' children begin weaning at 6 months and thus will need less milk? If I'm starting weaning earlier does that mean feeds should reduce to 3 when I start weaning? It's just I can't see my lo being able to cope with 5 feeds of 180 ml during the day and food on top. Please help me as my hv is really no help at all.

Hey Hun
Ignore that formula can! Like, just forget that chart exists!

When you start weaning, milk should still be the main source of food. You would only start with a few spponfuls per day so it shouldnt change things. As you increase the volume of food, you will probably find your baby will stop drinking as much milk, so more often or not they will deal with it themselves ;)

My LO, as she grew up, remained on 4 bottles of 5oz (at least!!) until last month!!(18 months) we didn't mind as it was the only drink she likes and a good drink to help weight gain. And she has 3 meals and snacks. So let your LO guide you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->