Milk - please help!

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
Tom still wont drink his milk! he will only drink 3oz at a time before going rigid and screaming. i have tried everything - I can't think of anything else to do! I upped his frequency of feeds from 4 hourly to 3 hourly, but he just wont touch it until he is ready, and i tried waking him for his milk - and he wont drink more than an oz.

What do i do?? He isdrinking 20oz on a very very good day - but sometimes as little as 15!! This is by no means enough is it? He is eating three meals a day, but they are not big meals and if i dont give him them, he still doesnt drink his milk.

He is eating porridge and yogert and cheese - so he is probably getting is calcium - and I have now (since the milk problem) put him on stage three milk to increase his vitimins.

Everyone including my OH think I am obsessed and shoudl leave him alone. "he will drink if he wants it" but surely he is just not having enough fluid as well as iron etc??

:hissy::hissy: This is driving me crazy! I am going to take him to the doctor but my HV told me that "now he is six months old, you can concentrate on food instead of milk - let milk take a backseat - as long as he is getting 20oz a day he will be fine" - despite the fact i said he isnt getting 20oz!!

How is his weight? Marlowe doesn't take much milk (only about 15-16 oz/day) but as her weight isn't dropping, nobody seems concerned either and she's only in the 5th% for weight!

Have you tried changing the nipple size? Or warming up the milk? Maybe that will help. If not, can you get some vitamin drops for him?

I'd be worried too as he isn't getting the minimum. Can you start making him porridge with formula mixed in rather than milk (if you're not already) and other meals as well - mashed potato etc mixed with other veg so you know he's getting a bit more that way?

Does he have any signs of dehydration? (dark yellow urine, nappies that aren't very wet and heavy, less energy than usual, dry mouth and lips...). He might be getting enough fluids as baby food is still quite watery but if you're worried I'd still speak to a doctor about it.

Will he drink other liquids?

Changing the teat size as lady3 suggested might be an idea as well - he could be getting frustrated that it's taking so long to get the milk out (unless you're already on a fast flow?) x

How is his weight? Marlowe doesn't take much milk (only about 15-16 oz/day) but as her weight isn't dropping, nobody seems concerned either and she's only in the 5th% for weight!

Have you tried changing the nipple size? Or warming up the milk? Maybe that will help. If not, can you get some vitamin drops for him?

tried all of those things. he is above his weight line.

Maybe its the type of milk? Does he have watery green diapers after he has a bottle? Renah was like that, only takin 2oz at a time and then we switched to lactose free and she takes 4-5oz feedings now. She had a real problem with lactose and it made her tummy hurt so she wouldn't drink as much

Ruby is exactly the same still and i struggle to get her to take 15 oz's in a day sometimes even less. Just wanted to let you know ur not alone. If you find any solutions let me know lol xx

my baby boy ali has never been a big drinker of milk. in fact, i struggle to get more than 4ozs down him at one go. HOWEVER it has never affected his weight gain or health. he drinks nowhere close to what other babies seem to on BnB or other mums i chat to but he is really thriving. i don't worry over it any more - he has fantastic weight gains every time i take him to the clinic (usually over a pound ever two weeks).

as hayley said your not alone, perhaps he is happy with his food (i must say since weaning ali he is easier to feed food to that milk) and if he is gaining weight and thriving i wouldn't worry hun.

Christine
XXX

I'd be worried too as he isn't getting the minimum. Can you start making him porridge with formula mixed in rather than milk (if you're not already) and other meals as well - mashed potato etc mixed with other veg so you know he's getting a bit more that way?

Does he have any signs of dehydration? (dark yellow urine, nappies that aren't very wet and heavy, less energy than usual, dry mouth and lips...). He might be getting enough fluids as baby food is still quite watery but if you're worried I'd still speak to a doctor about it.

Changing the teat size as lady3 suggested might be an idea as well - he could be getting frustrated that it's taking so long to get the milk out (unless you're already on a fast flow?) x

His porridge is mixed with water - i think it has milk powder in it already. Can i make up batches of adult porridge with formula and freeze it?? I do put it in his mash too with lots of cheese - but it isnt enough, he needs his vege and meat too and one of his meals is a fruit laxative concoction mixed with yogert - so it only leaves he his dinner to play with really.

His urine output has gone down - but it isnt yellow - it is nice (!!!) and pale - it seems healthy. i think i will still take him as he has nasty patches of dry skin on his face that wont go away and he keeps getting constipated too - which will be exacerbated by not drinking enough.

He will drink a few oz of apple juice a day - but not much more.

Can i just say!!! OMG! You're pregnant again!!! :happydance: :headspin: :dance: Many many many congratulations! I am soo jealous!

Maybe its the type of milk? Does he have watery green diapers after he has a bottle? Renah was like that, only takin 2oz at a time and then we switched to lactose free and she takes 4-5oz feedings now. She had a real problem with lactose and it made her tummy hurt so she wouldn't drink as much

nope his poops are hard and brown..pretty gross really!

His porridge is mixed with water - i think it has milk powder in it already. Can i make up batches of adult porridge with formula and freeze it?? I do put it in his mash too with lots of cheese - but it isnt enough, he needs his vege and meat too and one of his meals is a fruit laxative concoction mixed with yogert - so it only leaves he his dinner to play with really.

His urine output has gone down - but it isnt yellow - it is nice (!!!) and pale - it seems healthy. i think i will still take him as he has nasty patches of dry skin on his face that wont go away and he keeps getting constipated too - which will be exacerbated by not drinking enough.

He will drink a few oz of apple juice a day - but not much more.

Can i just say!!! OMG! You're pregnant again!!! :happydance: :headspin: :dance: Many many many congratulations! I am soo jealous!

Thank you! :cloud9:

If his urine output has gone down (forgot you had an easier way to measure the colour and amount than trying to decide how heavy nappies are) and he's got dry skin he could be a bit dehydrated - I would take him to see a doctor and see if they can suggest anything. If you're using the special baby porridges I think they probably have formula milk powder in anyway so at least he'll be getting more with that - I give Sam Ready Brek made up with cows milk though so you could try something like that - not sure about freezing it though.

If he still seems to have lots of energy and generally healthy I wouldn't worry too much about the milk as he is still getting some but I'm sure the doctor will be able to tell you if he's dehydrated and needs to be given anything else :hug: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->