Mini rant - MIL's wishes!

Belle30

Mummy to a baby boy
Reaction score
Hello lovelies

All my MIL has gone on about since I became pregnant is how much she hopes it's a girl and how 'over the moon' she'd be with a granddaughter. She has 2 sons and I think she's got it into her head that girls have a special bond with their mums, more than she has ever had with her boys. I have tried to tell her that this isn't always the case - I for one have always been a daddy's girl!! But anyway maybe she's hoping that she can share in some special girly bond as a grandmother to a little girl.

At first I didn't mind, and was pleased she was excited. But the nearer I get to my due date, and the more she goes on about it, the more uncomfortable I'm starting to feel! She reminds me every time we speak that she's really hoping for a girl, and says it to friends and family members in front of me, and to DH. It seems like a boy would be a disappointment to her!

It's our first baby, and we have absolutely no preference - but all this talk is making me feel that I myself might feel a twinge of disappointment if a boy appears, just because he's not quite the 'perfect' first grandchild my MIL was hoping for!
:nope:

Boy or girl, it will be the perfect grandchild, trust me
It does warm my heart that I'm not the only one with a mad MIL :) She is convinced we're having a boy this time, like she knows its a boy, but she doesn't want us to say, as she knows, but hey she's gonna get a shock when girl no2 rocks up in Feb xx

god i hate mils when they do this! I'd be a pain and tell her its a boy so she can get used to the idea, then if bubba comes out a girl you just say they got it wrong! Who care's what you have as long as he/she is healthly. Hubby and I always wanted a boy first but we're having a girl, and after a couple of hours of disappointment we're both really looking forward to our little girl now and just hope she is well and healthy!

Are you finding out the sex?

aww hun im sorry :(
how selfish is your MIL being?! goodness me.
sometimes i swear people don't think about what they're saying but in other cases like yours and mine, they seem to know exactly what they're saying!!!
the main thing is you and your OH will love your LO no matter what :)
even though it's hard to think that your MIL might be 'dissapointed' :( my MIL always makes me feel inadequate.

i hope you can just take it easy before LO arrives hun :) xxx

lol at least shes not calling your baby HER baby!

My MIL texts me and says hows my baby today???? WTF!!! Didnt realise i was growing yuo a child!

I am sure she will love baby boy or girl! My MIL wants a girl too and even calls HER baby her GRANDDAUGHTER when address the baby to other people!
x

yeah i have so many people tell me what they want me to have, flip i couldnt care less, we will both be so happy whatever, infact i will be over the moon if it ever decides to make its appearance lol!

I was worried at first but now i have just let it go over my head, its not like i could choose! and its not like i will send it back either lol!

Aww Eternal! I'm sending wishes of contractions and mucas plugs your way!:kiss:

What is it with MIL's, can't your DH speak to her to stop the grand daughter rubbish. Maybe she dosen't realise the effect her words have on you.

What is it with MIL's, can't your DH speak to her to stop the grand daughter rubbish. Maybe she dosen't realise the effect her words have on you.

- i wish i could ask my OH to tell my MIL to shut her face (in the nice way of course) but i don't think it's fair on him :( it's his mother and he has to put up with her more than i do.

good job my mum is amazing and lets me rant at her about the MIL :thumbup:

Aw hun - try to ignore it or tell her how you feel and that its 'your' baby and you have no preference.

Does anyone have a normal nice MIL?

It seems most are completely crazed, in sensitive and over bearing.

Mine is the complete opposite and doesn't seem to care about our little bubs.... She also doenst like me but luckily lives 150 miles away - hooray!!

Oh I feel for you!! My mother is actually doing the same thing:( She has even gone as far to buy girl clothes and when I said stop buying girl clothes! She said boys can wear pink too! Who the heck dresses their boys in pink girl stuff! Even if it is just sleepers at home! Oh my....and we have no idea the sex yet. It is getting ridiculous....she even calls it little Pammy (which is her name) and told the family I am having a girl. I know she is joking about the name thing and whatnot but still it really pisses me off haha we weren't bothered about the sex at all to be honest! But I am praying for a boy now just so she can be wrong lol

That is a bit naff. The idea of a 'mother-daughter' special bond thing really really gets on my wick. I don't think there will be any difference if Sproglette does turn out to be a boy afterall, but hey, maybe that's just me.

As with all MIL threads, the only thing to be said is just try and ignore her as much as possible. It's all meant in the best way, but they really don't seem to understand how overbearing they can be.

This reminds me of my mom. My mom insisted I was having a girl. As like you, I had no preference either since this baby was my first anyway. So, one day I told my mom "what if it's a boy?? what will you think then?" and she said "I'll shit a brick".

Now, I had a boy and when I bring it up to her, she denies saying that. I truely believe that she doesn't remember because she is older and doesn't remember a lot of things. But yeah, it pissed me off that she said that to me. Something like that is very hurtful.

My MIL texts me and says hows my baby today???? WTF!!! Didnt realise i was growing yuo a child!

I am sure she will love baby boy or girl! My MIL wants a girl too and even calls HER baby her GRANDDAUGHTER when address the baby to other people!
x

aw u poor thing i would loose the plot!!!!!! :grr:

x

That would seriously annoy me. If my MIL tried that, OH would be warned to stop her from making those comments or I would say something.... If some family peace gets broken then meh! :growlmad: I'm getting tense just thinking about it.

If we have a girl, my MiL wants us to pass on her name as our baby's middle name because she says its 'family tradition'. Not going to happen!!
Also, she won't shut up about how she doesn't want to be called grandma. Sorry, this isn't about you for once, and you will be called grandma, just like my mum will be!
It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't continually bring it up hoping our answer will change. She just doesn't listen to us which is really frustrating and I am dreading how overbearing she will be when the baby is born because you can't tell her something just once and then have her drop the subject. :nope:

- i wish i could ask my OH to tell my MIL to shut her face (in the nice way of course) but i don't think it's fair on him :( it's his mother and he has to put up with her more than i do.

good job my mum is amazing and lets me rant at her about the MIL :thumbup:

It's like my DH sometimes he can tell his mother off other times he has to hold his tongue:dohh:

My mum on the otherhand knows I will tell her off if she is annoying me in regards to anything baby related and she backs off :lol:

x

Can i just say....my mouth dropped when i read this comment...because MY mil does the exact same!!!!!!

She owns a little deli in a small village and pretty much every customer that comes in gets asked "Do you want to see my baby?!....she whips out the 4D scan picture and tells them how much she looks like her!!!!!

im seriously worried i have psycho-granny on my hands, its really quite disturbing. I think she thinks im cooking this baby for her!! :dohh:

x

Can i just say....my mouth dropped when i read this comment...because MY mil does the exact same!!!!!!

She owns a little deli in a small village and pretty much every customer that comes in gets asked "Do you want to see my baby?!....she whips out the 4D scan picture and tells them how much she looks like her!!!!!

im seriously worried i have psycho-granny on my hands, its really quite disturbing. I think she thinks im cooking this baby for her!! :dohh:

i think you might have physco granny as well, eeeek couldnt cope with that its scary!

x

Flip....that is bad :hugs: i really feel for you ladies!!

My mum is convinced im having a girl :dohh: completly convinced but she isnt too annoying about it apart from joking every now and then and i know that if this LO is a boy she will be just as happy. But if my mum got out of hand or made any hurtful comments etc she knows id kick her arse :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->