Money Saving Mums Group

ramblinhaggis

Call me Max - Mum to 4
Reaction score
In todays present climate, there must be LOADS of mums (and dads but it didnt fit the title so well, so you can just pretend to be female) out there that are doing what they can to stretch the pennies further. I thought it could be fun to have our own group where we can say what we have managed to save each day, share money saving ideas and even set goals or targets to try to meet. Some of the things I do are:

Dooyoo - this is a site where you earn points for reviewing products, when you get enough points it will pay out in various rewards. I hit my first £30 amazon voucher pay out earlier in the year. Its not for the faint hearted though, you have to write PROPER reviews, or they wont pay you!

Online surveys - a handful that I have found to be reliable. These take a lot of time really to pay out but its all worth it!

Meal planning - as easy as it sounds, then looking for the cheapest shop possible.

There is lots more, i just hope there isnt already a thread that i missed or i would be :blush: :haha:

Oooh i am definatly watching this one!

Are you just meaning it to be for sites like you mentioned, or all tips like car boots etc? x

Im forever trying to find ways to save money.

I went into argos and got a few early xmas presents, and because i spent over £50, i got a £5 gift card free. That can be someones side pressie or it can go towards something else.

Also, i do freezer shops and proper shops, this helps cos i find tesco and other big stores sell freezer stuff at higher prices than a shop that is all freezer stuff.

I also go on the freebie section on here and apply for most of the things. If they're relevent. And other freebie sites.

So can i join :D

all sorts of tips from energy saving to kiddie saving to food saving, anything that stretches the pennies that bit further! I think it would be really great to try and set ourselves some little saving goals each month, say for november each member picks an amount reasonable to them, see how we go!

I have just been reading all about making your own home cleaning products, using simple ingredients like white vinegar and lemon juice or baking soda...I spend a lot on cleaning stuff, so if they are any good it will save me a fortune!

I've seen that. Vinegar and lemon can be used to clean just about anything cant it!

I'm making christmas presents this year with materials from ebay - double saving!

Also, sell babies old clothes and use that money to buy the size after their next size. For example sell newborn for 3-6 then 0-3 for 6-9. Its kinda like recycling and you only have to shell out for newborn and 0-3!

Can I join too, I think this thread sounds fab! I'm embarking on a massive economy drive at home to really get our finances in shape. I'm sick of being broke all the time! I like the idea of selling baby clothes, I don't know why I hadn't thought to do that with them - I just fold them away and put them aside.

I've recently gone through all our bills and direct debits to work out what I can get cheaper. I tend to in the past, always just renew all my policies for house insurance, car insurance, health insurance etc etc, but I've decided to shop around and have worked out that I can probably save about £120 a month on our outgoing bills!

Oooh i'll be keeping a close eye on this :D Even though i'm not an actual mummy as of yet (give me a few more weeks :rofl:)

If we've bought DVD's and know we'll not watch them again, we stick them on ebay. 9/10 they always sell so we always get some sort of money come in. Even with clothes you KNOW you won't wear again - stick them on! Anything is better than nothing, right? :D

:hi:

Weve been doing surveys for TNS and scanning our shopping for 5 years now and earned £100s of pounds in vouchers from them :D

Also we always take a calculator and add our shop as we go and set a limit. We get 10% dscount from Asda aswell but we work for them :lol:

great tips so far! I recently joined lightspeed on the web, another survey site, you earn points per survey and can redeem for vouchers. Its too late for this year, but I hope to save up all the points for next year and redeem them all in various vouchers to give as christmas presents...in fact my goal is to have a FREE christmas next year by earning enough in surveys and reviews online to pay for everyone but the kids!

Good idea! I'm going to start saving for next years christmas on 26th December :rofl:

Not exactly saving money but we have coin jars and at the end of the day we (or I should say I) raid my purse and hubby walet for all his coinage bar £1 coins and put them in the coin jar.

Means we arent tempted to buy "things" we dont want/need with it just cos its their. Also when you think I might just buy and you only have £1 putting it on your card/switch makes you think twice.

We do this and empty twice a year and so far each time we get about £170.

We also have a sealed tin you get in the £1 store and put any £2 coins we get in there....thats being going for over a year and its about 2/3rds full every holiday we are so tempted to open it but we dont. We are quite tempted to open Christmas and use it then as we are moving and budget might be stretched etc but w will see. Recon we may have about £200 in there and you dont miss it one bit!

My other bargain tip is buy you christmas cards and wrapping paper in the January sales when they are 10/20p! Saves you ££££

I also start Christmas shopping in July and buy a couple of gifts every month means your not spending loads in November/December. Plus in places like Toys R us they have "specials" at 1/2 price so santa is bringing nathan a huge train with play cubes which should have been about £40 and we got for £15!!

My husband uses HotUkDeals and sees a few bargains ever so often.

Then there is the usual switching lights off, not leaving electrical items on standby can make huge differences.

I also do my big shop online although it costs my £4 delivery means I can plan meals and buy what we need and a few extra treats but not have impulse buys spending £££ more than I need too. (plus they carry the haevy crates to your door lol)

Erm....buying a "good" own brand product. Some are just not nice but if you find a nice one then keep your "posh" packaging noone will ever know lol....more for picky/self concious kids who think its not cool to use own brand. If not decant into cereal jars etc so they never know the difference.

Use left overs to make dinners for the next day. Like veg thats left make into a cassarole/mince/shephards pie etc....Or freeze?

Emma.

Oh and forgot to add I buy Nathans clothes well in advance!

When the summer sales were on I bought for next year.

Emma.x

We got that train aswell :D Great bargain!
Alexs gifts are finished for christmas, we got a bargain walker from gumtree aswel for him. I do same as you, buy clothes in advance in the sales for him aswell.

you have to find a link on the web to sign up to light speed, they are random. Try googling lightspeed uk register, or light speed uk join. I joined on friday and have 160 points which is enough for £1 in paypal. It all helps!

Emma you sound like you do a fab job of making the pennies go further, I do a lot of what you do, but not the jars, why havent i thought of that? I have decided to transfer £1-£2 a day into my savings account with my online banking, as its free and i can be sure to do it every day, will make an extra £90-120 for christmas fund. I am also going to start buying one or two extra things for christmas foods when i do my weekly online shop. I have a HUGE store cupboard up the stairs that is barely used, there is no reason it cant be filled with specials, tins etc.

:wave: Plz can i join aswell?

I think i just about do every money saving thing i have time for :laugh2: We're not on a tight household income but we are trying to save up for our first home so whilst i was on maternity i had a good sort through everything!

When shopping I watch basic things like boots ponts offers etc. I always top up my phone at boots aswell as you get advantage card points. I use a cashback site for online shopping, and on occasion they pay you to take up a free offer for a simcard or something so that's all good too :thumbup:

I have been buying one or two gifts a week for the last 5 weeks towards xmas...and it feels nice that ive got 2 carrier bags full of things for family and not felt it yet.

We also do the penny jar, but we dont handle in cash alot. Thats how we save our cash....cos if we have a tenner in the house, we will go to the shop (2 seconds walk from us) and buy things we dont need, or order a takeaway.

Also, i tried online shopping this week, and it saved me loads!!

I spent £37 and thats for a weeks shop, and that includes £10 of nappies.
As im doing the "shopping" with a coffee and watching eastenders one night, ill run to the cupboards to see what i have left from last weeks shop to see what i need to buy to make a meal.

This week in preperation to move house I have been havibg a right good clear out of random "junk" from our attic and cupboards. Just really as we pack sort out stuff we use and dont and have been selling it on EBay or Gumtree....and we literally have made a good £300....from our junk!!

Well worth a spring clean I say!

Plus gumtree is free to advertise AND you get some great bargains too!!

Emma.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->