More darn cloth nappy questions...

redpoppy

Reaction score
1. Which is more.. actually what are the pros and cons of bamboo Vs. hemp inserts/boosters?

2. What's with the wool? Is it wool wraps? Why are they great?

3. My tots bots bamboozle dried in about a day on a clothes drying thing next to the radiator which probably wasn't on that much. I had soaked it overnight then put it through one wash and four rinse cycles. Do you think it dried quickly because it hasn't reached it's full absorbency yet? I don't want to get a oad of bamboozles thinking they take a day to dry but they don't really.

4. At night I change my LO after 8 hours then in the morning (after about 4 or 5) in disposable nappies. Is it realistic to think I can boost up a cloth nappy with bamboo/hemp and a fleece liner enough so that she remains dry all night? (12 hours) Is this where the wool comes in? :blush:

1. Which is more.. actually what are the pros and cons of bamboo Vs. hemp inserts/boosters?

I'm not sure about the difference really. I think I read somewhere that hemp can begin to smell more than bamboo but I've not noticed it. They seem about the same to me really.

2. What's with the wool? Is it wool wraps? Why are they great?

Wool wraps are great because they are breathable whereas PUL isn't. They are waterproof as long as you lanolise them but they let some of the wee evaporate so there is less in the nappy, and you don't need to wash them often unless they get pooed on. Sometimes the wool and any clothes over it can feel a bit damp but that's just the evaporation. If you leave it 10 mins, they'll be dry again. I always use wool overnight now as PUL left Leyla really stinky as all the wee had to stay in the nappy, whereas with wool some of it evaporates off and the smell isn't trapped.

3. My tots bots bamboozle dried in about a day on a clothes drying thing next to the radiator which probably wasn't on that much. I had soaked it overnight then put it through one wash and four rinse cycles. Do you think it dried quickly because it hasn't reached it's full absorbency yet? I don't want to get a oad of bamboozles thinking they take a day to dry but they don't really.

I'm not sure about that to be honest. If you're worried about it, maybe wait before buying more. It will also depend a lot on the time of year. My bamboo nappies are a lot quicker to dry now than they will be in winter. It can take me days to hang dry them when it's cold.

4. At night I change my LO after 8 hours then in the morning (after about 4 or 5) in disposable nappies. Is it realistic to think I can boost up a cloth nappy with bamboo/hemp and a fleece liner enough so that she remains dry all night? (12 hours) Is this where the wool comes in? :blush:

Almost everybody can get a nappy to last 12 hours. There are some very heavy wetting babies out there who it's more of a struggle for, but even then you can usually manage. Leyla is a heavy wetter overnight and we have pretty much got it sorted now. The wool has helped a lot with the smell and keeping her skin dry.

rachel has pretty much covered it, not much point in answering except to say ive also seen some negative things about hemp, would always go for bamboo personally

x

hemp absorbs much more slowly than bamboo or cotton so if your LO does massive wees the nappy might leak. some people use hemp along side or under microfibre.

One thing I have found is that hemp seems much tougher than bamboo. The bamboo takes more looking after, but you can do anything with hemp! On the down side hemp goes hard, and bamboo seems to stay softer. I haven't found any difference between them in how quick they absorb though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->