Mother of all conception months Graduates

HIV requires consent but most woman just stick their arm out and don't question it these days.

They didnt get my consent when I started a new job in Airedale. Whilst the needle was in my arm I asked what they checked for and she said blah blah blah HIV blah blah and I nearly shit my pants. If I did it I would counsel a patient but no no not us. I asked how I would receive the results and she said, oh we would probably call you....went to Edinburgh with a friend and had the worse break ever waiting for the bloody phone to ring. Not that I thought it was a real possibility by hey, have had the odd mistake in my 41 years :blush:

thankfully it was ok but the consent thing really shook me! We have to take our passports and show our picture and have the blood taken with photo i.d.

You're welcome bids. I thnk loopy's given better info though as she's been looking into it all. I think all trusts should be offering nuchal and quad now but ours is only training for nuchal now. We have quad now but it was tri when I was preg last time so they're getting there. In the green notes there are pages of things the mw is supposed to discuss with you and sign off your consent including HIV and other tests. All tests are optional but the quad is very optional! Lol. Don't be afraid to look at everything in your notes and if you're not sure discuss it. When's it a first baby it's really hard to get to grips with all the different stages and processes. There's nothing you can ask a mw hasn't heard before. DO write down your qs as you think of them and take them with you to your appointment. I did the same thing last time. It's all so overwhelming and there's a lot to get your head around so it's hard to remember all the things you wanted to ask.

yep giving blood answer a few of my worries lol we all make mistakes....

haha molly - you'll probably be that at your next scan anyway, have you booked your nuchal?!

the mw did say that if the hosp finds out about my nuchal they might cancel my 20 week scan - *******s, hows that fair i pay privately and then get a free one taken away :( not fair....

lol i love being slightly on the inside, knowing blood results etc. saying that can some one remind me to write my latest blood results in my notes please?

I was really scared of the HIV test last time. Before DH I was with a guy with antisocial personality disorder for a few months and I was on the pill so we weren't always safe. I was sooo stupid! He was v good in bed (only by practice eh? :dohh:) and later when I looked up his condition and found such people have a higher risk of HIV because of increased promiscuity did I really think about how stupid I'd been. DH was a virgin when we met but he still came with me fir us both to get tested for everything. All came back fine but I was never sure whether it had been three months or not so ever lived in fear. Even this time I still felt afraid though there's no way it's possible (unless DH slept around which he definitely doesn't!).

can they actually do that i know 20 week is optional but really thats just rude,

look at the little prune awwwww

yeah your sooo right peanut about the notes and stuff... i think they should offer the nuchal as standard free on NHS their doing the work anyway 12 week scan and bloods surely wouldnt cost much more to check a few extra things or spend another 10 mins!!!

i was spoilt with my last job i had private medical care with bupa it was awesome so im not used to nhs crap (no offense to anyone i mean the rules & regs) shame i had good benefits but the people were vile!!!

lol peanut. in my job id be more worried blood being around but i'm careful etc.
why is my dog scratching in a i'm carrying a few friends way?

Because it's flea season! We've been sorted since the frontline btw. Hope they stay away. And the ham in the washing eventually ran out!

well thats what the mw said and she didnt mean the 12 week one cos i'll have already had that at 11 + 4??

i was scared too peanut as DH was also a virgin so i was really worried not that id been around much before him but i did sleep with someone although i didnt know at the time who was on heroin (nice i know) so was really crapping myself!!!

aww that is a cute prune molly lol

yep giving blood answer a few of my worries lol we all make mistakes....

haha molly - you'll probably be that at your next scan anyway, have you booked your nuchal?!

the mw did say that if the hosp finds out about my nuchal they might cancel my 20 week scan - *******s, hows that fair i pay privately and then get a free one taken away :( not fair....

I would be soooo pissed if they denied me my 20 week scan. This is a fetal anomoly scan so they are looking for other stuff at this stage. I am having my nuchal etc at 12 weeks (bloods two weeks earlier so results ready to pop into computer after the scan done). There is a loooong time between 12 and 20 weeks and a massive difference in what can be picked up as babe is so much bigger.

Just looked up in my booklet - bloods for downs done between 10 and 13 weeks and 6 days and ultrasound for nuchal is between 11 weeks and 0 days to 13 weeks and 6 days.

20 weeks is late to terminate....baby is potentially viable at 24 weeks so if termination is an option for anybody the earlier it is done the better.

oh and they do nuchal here but not nasal bone etc etc

night night hope you head is a bit more settled Bids - remember one step at a time :flower:

surely they cant do it - id fight it every step of the way if they did do that!!! like you say 20 weeks is important so to not do that would be ridiculous but she did say that she wouldnt put it on my notes that i was interested/looking at the nuchal just incase?!! god knows - im sooo confused its unbelievable...

i doubt i'll sleep tonight!!!

think im going to go to babybond as the nearest is stafford and the others are in birmingham which = crap traffic/journey etc but peace of mind will be nice (hopefully)

:hugs: to Bids. I hope it all works out :hugs:

They have assured me that my pregnancy is not a factor. They are totally supportive and assure me that everyone loves me there and wants me to stay. I do believe them. I do however feel irritated that none of this was properly checked before I was hired :grr: Why hire someone and then find out they are not "qualified" in the UK? They said they are going to do all they can to try and sort it out so I can stay on. *sigh* Why me and why now? :cry:

On top of that, I'm a good teacher! Really good! Experience should surpass a piece of paper! It used to in this world anyways!

Oh wow i had an early night and missed loads!!

Ozzie - I hate to sound like a sceptic but i'm with Loopy on this, even though they are being nice it all sounds a little too convienient to me that your qualifications now aren't valid. I can't believe that they wouldn't have triple checked that before giving you the job.

Bids - I am having the nuchal scan and it's offered on the nhs in my area, i'll also have the bloods etc. We wouldn't terminate based on Downs syndrome but if the worst was to happen we would really rather be prepared for it in advance.

On the feeding issue i'm currently very confused. I have two good friends with kids one who breastfed and one who didn't. The bottle fed baby was a very settled baby and slept through the night from 3 weeks on. The breastfeed baby didn't as breastmilk is easier to digest and was much older before she didn't require night feeds.

Asked my mw about this and she said yes bottle fed babies are sometimes more settled especially at night.

I would like to breastfeed, but and please don't judge me on this, i'm also very aware of the fact that i'm essentially going to be on my own with the jellybean 90% of the time and that i'm not perfectly healthy anyway with my kidney rubbish. I honestly don't know if i will be able to cope with the strain of having to be up twice a night to breastfeed the jellybean. If end up being sleep deprived i will get run down very quickly and then ill. That's not going to be good for me or the jellybean.

So very confused about the whole feeding thing just now.

morning gilz :)

im going to book it - at the end of the day its only money and we need to know one way or another... cant believe you get it free its not fair lol it does say in my book downs tests are offered to all women in uk?! but the nuchal scan isnt included im sure!!

hmmm they might not sleep as well but its better for their immune system etc - my nieces are constantly ill dont know if its just down to not being breast feed or what but i'll give it ago even if i only do it for a few weeks!! its such a personal choice though - wouldnt go on what friends/family have done just what you want to be honest though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->