Motorways.. What do you think?

I mainly use the M5 and the rule on there seems to be first lane - 60mph or lorries, second lane 70-80mph and all the speed demons going 80+ in the third lane! This isn't right! I also hate lorries overtaking lorries as they never seem to check and pull out right in front of you. Also, white van drivers driving right up your arse before they overtake you.

Only 5% of driving fatalities occur on the motorway, most occur on rural roads.

I think it should be part of the driving lessons, together with driving in snow & other weather conditions. A few of my driving lessons were cancelled because of a bit of snow, hows that going to teach me to drive safely if the lessons cancelled?

Upping the speed limit to 80mph, I don't think will make a slight bit of difference, a good proportion of motorway drivers drive at this & beyond.

Not read through the thread yet.

After I passed my driving test, I completed a 'pass plus' course. It taught me how to drive in rush hour, country roads and motorway.

I think that this is what should be complusory after you've passed your test. It cost my about £100 but saved me more than £750 on insurance.

Not read any other posts, but i dont think they should change the speed limit or anything.. but i think you should be made to learn on the motorway when learning how to drive and you should have to pass your test on a motorway test too iykwim?

I didnt do a pass plus but then I didnt drive on the motorway as I didnt feel confident and it was 4 months before I managed to do it.. Its scary stuff and when you panic you can easily make a mistake..

I was on the M6 the other day, in the "fast" lane doing approx 75mph - fully loaded with 4 children + 2 adults. I was overtaking a line of cars (the one at the front must've been doing 40mph max :growlmad:)
There was no one in front of me for quite a while and no one behind me. All of a sudden, a car pulled into the fast lane as I was overtaking them, and I literally had to slam the brakes on. I ended up skidding towards the central reservation but luckily managed to control my car. The other car pulled back into the middle lane and almost went into the back of someone else.
As I passed him (shaking like a leaf at this point) he put his thumb up then waved at me :shock: He was a middle aged man but obviously I don't know how long he had his licence for.....

So in my view, sometimes it's not really got anything to do with the speed limit (although I wouldn't like to see an increase) and it's not even necessarily "new" drivers..... I just think people need to drive better and more considerately all over. Also, if the pass plus is that good (I never did one so can't comment), why isn't it made compulsory? :shrug:

I was going to say I work in insurance claims and I've only ever had one claim on a motorway. It's most likely to happen at junctions in a 5 minute radius from your home, as you're on "autopilot" and don't take as much notice of the road.

I don't think there should be a ban on new drivers, then nobody would ever get to gain any experience. I do think that learner drivers (with a driving instructor, not just their mum) should be allowed to 'practise' driving on the motorway. I think it makes no sense that the first time you're allowed on the motorway after you pass your test, you can be on your own.

If new dirvers aren't allowed to get on them then How are they going to learn how to drive on a motorway. Bad accidents happen you can't make them unhappen by excluding people.

Not read through the thread yet.

After I passed my driving test, I completed a 'pass plus' course. It taught me how to drive in rush hour, country roads and motorway.

I think that this is what should be complusory after you've passed your test. It cost my about £100 but saved me more than £750 on insurance.
In Germany driving lessons always include this anyway, You are taken on motorways and when it is dark , into the city and onto motorways or country roads.

This topic annoys me, i usually see all male drivers saying putting speed limit up will reduce the risk of accidents...say what!?!

Speed limit should not change.
4 lanes on every motorway (alot of work i know!) but learners 1st lane, lorries 1st & 2nd lane, normal car driver 2,3&4.

Nice idea but would cost the government shed loads so don't think they'll go for it!

Why ban new drivers from using them? They need to learn to use them at some point, don't they? We don't have a single motorway in the country where I live, and we don't have anywhere where you can drive faster than 50km (30mph). At the same time I've dealt with roads that UK drivers would find insane, and drivers that the UK would throw off the roads; all in my first hour of driving. But simply because I haven't ever driven more than 50kmh (30mph) and never on a motorway, does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to? Because that's not going to happen :wacko:

I should clarify that I don't hold a license, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I'm about to take my test though, so I'm not totally stupid about the roads. I'm very competent and confident as a driver; says my instructor :smug:

I don't think it has anything to do with new drivers; I think it has to do with people not leaving enough space between them and the driver in front. I have always thought that leaving a 2 second gap is not enough; why on earth don't people take it upon themselves to leave a bigger gap, especially in hazardous conditions?

My instructor says that motorways are the safest place to drive, since you're maintaining a pretty constant speed, doing relatively few manoeuvres, and on relatively straight roads.

agree that new drivers shouldnt be banned it wont help things just delay them learning to drive on motorways!

i think it should be included in proffessional driving lessons!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->