"My child will never behave like that"

I like the advert where the kid is kicking off so the mum jumps on the floor and starts kicking off too and the kid stops and is like "huh"

Sooooooo funny :rofl:

yeah Holly, I can see me doing that :rofl:

Me too ... i do it now sometimes when Brooke wont stop crying, just sit there going "waaaah waaaah waaaaah" to her, doesnt work though :rofl:

she looks cute, but she does have her moments! she has tiny tantrums, you say no and take her away, she screams for about 5secs then does something else, its so funny, james calls it - when laughter turns to cry-e!!

anyway, back to toyahs post - i agree with lynn and blahh, it never is black and white, i too would ignore things or some tantrums at home, but say if you were out and your child was kicking on the floor of the supermarket, i wouldn't just leave them! its very easy to say what your going to do, parenthood has lots of grey aspects :)

Amelie has been doing that since she was about 5 months old :dohh: :rofl:

I just think it's terribly unfair to judge someone as a parent when they're a stranger in a supermarket!

I like the advert where the kid is kicking off so the mum jumps on the floor and starts kicking off too and the kid stops and is like "huh"

Sooooooo funny :rofl:

I have thought about doing that so many times. :haha::haha:

My five year old is the one who usually kicks off in public (mainly cos Kaysie is too little too yet (she will though cos she is spoilt) and Naomi-Mae is a right girly girl who loves shopping lol) and I ignore him, I do get looks or comments, (they are mainly from old people though) but it works for us, he stops pretty quickly when Naomi-Mae gets attention for being good.

Any way to the point it annoys me too.

Thing is, I'm not a 'no' person. I hate saying no. :blush: I'd never not discipline, but I just think there are other ways of doing things than just shouting 'no' at kids. So if people expect me to in public, they'll be disappointed! :lol:

lol alys has mini tantrums if i take something away that shes not meant to have like if she finds a cardboard tag on something and starts munchin on it, but if she cries i just clap really loudly and it gets her attention and makes her laugh! lol not sure how much longer that will last though.

i have seen children cryin and screaming and the mother litterally dragging them up the escilator (SP) saying your effing doing my head in now, shut the eff up and so on!! that really gets to me, i felt like i wannted to take there kid and cuddle them, the mother had enough bags on the pram to sink a battleship and had obv been in town a long time the child was probably tired and frustrated!

also in the nights in my flat anywhere between 12 and 4am i hear this baby screaming like really really upset crying and always about 10mins after the mum and dad arguing with eachother and then shouting NO really loudly, my heart sinks! :( when i hear it, i really feel for the baby :(

xxxx

LOL TBH I would laugh at them and say "good luck with that"

I don't have LOs, not for lack of trying, but I've never been that niave. Though I have thought or said to DH about some childrens behaviour "if we did that when we were kids, we'd have got a smacked arse!" lol (like when the little girl in the cafe was doing cartwheels and handstands in the cafe around people drinking hot drinks etc) but that's more of a comment of "when I was a bairn...." like an old granny TBH :rofl:

I'm guilty of watching kids have tantrums in stores and saying to my OH... "I really hope Grady doesn't do that to us.." Although I know it's more or less a given everyone goes through things like that...

There's one thing ignoring a tantrum and ignoring your kid being a little shit.

Yes your supposed to ignor the bad behaviour but you are also supposed to show them right from wrong and put boundrys in place, itrs about getting the right balance.

When i worked at the playgroup we had some parents that would moan that there kids were naughty at home and wouldent do anything they asked yet they were angels at playgroup. Well yes they would be because if they were naughty they were consicuences (sp?) to there bad behaviour wether it was a time out or if they were persistantly naughty that day they did not get a biscit at snack time where at home there was no repercussions to there bad behaviour.

I think that the vast majority of parents will always do their best in their own way to prevent their child from kicking off majorly in public and that most parents will go into parenthood with the best of intentions for the way that their child will be raised. However, I also think that there are so many different ways to parent a child and that what works for one parent won't be anywhere near as successful as another, indeed what works for one child may not work for another even within the same family. I also think that it's hard to discipline effectively in public, obviously punishments like the 'naughty step' cannot be used in a public setting and tapping a child however lightly to disuade behaviour is frowned upon these days. I do agree though that if the bad behaviour is about something that the child wants, giving in, whilst the easy option, only rewards the bad behaviour which will have bad consequences later on. At the end of the day, a 2 or 3 year old child will have tantrums that could be brought on by anything and are, in many cases, embarrassing for the parents. Children stretch boundries and I agree that sometimes just carrying on as normal helps the situation as the child will become bored. I think that issues arise when older children, over 5 or 6, cause public scenes by acting inappropriately as they should be at least having some grasp of social norms and what is and isn't acceptable. I will then start to think that I hope I can bring my children up to have better manners when the time comes, with younger children I just pray I'm lucky and only have angelic toddlers. I will admit that I judge my parents a little for the way that my brother behaves. He's 17 and will still attack me at the slightest provocation and has no respect for my home when he visits, let alone any respect for my fiance and me.

Sorry for the essay!!

Beca :wave:

I think all kids will try playing up, how else will they test their boundaries. I do think there is a difference in the kids who do just play up sometimes and those who's parents leave them to bring themselves up or are dragged up IYKWIM.

my sil is a great one for saying things like that. i cant wait till she has had her baby and realises just how hard it is to be a parent.

Yes! Bugs the hell out of me! arghhhhhhhhh

totally with you! i always say 'i will never behave like that' though, when i see parents screaming at their kids for being naughty in tescos or something! appalling!!

I love how all the people who have said 'i will do this with my child bla bla bla they wont behave like that in restaurants bla bla bla' don't have kids or a baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->