My due date today!!! - Advice and questions re sweep

BabiNo2

Reaction score
Its my due date today - woohoo!! Slighlty gutted I'm still waiting but heyho!! Been having on and off contractions for 4/5 days but nothing comes of them.

Anyway I will to the point, I have an appointment with the midwife today and wondered if anyone knows whether they will offer a sweep because I am 40 weeks even though its just really a routine appointment? This isn't my first pregnancy and read that they only do this at 40 weeks if its your first and will do one at 41 weeks if its second etc. Is this true? Also not sure whether they would just do it there or it would need to be booked in prior to this and be done at hospital? I never had one with last pregnancy so I am pretty clueless. :shrug:

Finally I am pretty nervous about it as well because I work in a doctors surgery and so know all the midwifes as they also come to my work place, it has all always been fine up to now but feel really uncomfortable with it being someone I know work wise that would be doing internal, should I just grin and bear it is if offered to me or would you all feel the same? :wacko:

Bit long winded sorry :flower:

You should be offered 1 at your 40 wk if it's your first (that's what I was told) but think it generally depends on what your MW thinks. Ask her, if you choose to have one. I've heard the success rate goes up once you get to 41 wks. I am 41+1 and had a sweep yesterday. It was really nothing for me. I just relaxed and focussed on my breathing and it was fine! Maybe work out if it's what you want then just ask her to do it. Don't worry about the knowing her- it's so routine for them, I'm sure the idea will be worse than the deed!!
Good luck x

I don't think there's any harm in asking for a sweep. The worst they can say is 'no'! I had a sweep on Sunday, when I was 40 weeks, as this is my first baby. They don't need anything special to do it (just the rubber glove, haha) and they sort of poke a finger up and through the cervix and kind of wiggle it round. In my experience, it was quite uncomfortable but it wasn't exactly painful. It doesn't take long and I just concentrated on breathing! I've got another one on Thursday if baby hasn't appeared by then. Hope you manage to get one :)

Think I will ask her then - I have got DH taking a half day as well so that he can watch our daughter in case I do get one she can be out the room with him. I'm more determined to get this labour started than anything now so suppose doesn't matter who does it either. lol Thank you ladies for putting my mind at rest x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->