My Evening Primrose Oil findings -the good, bad and ugly

I gather it's not only safe your whole cycle, it's safe in pregnancy - apparently helps with morning sickness, and is sometimes even prescribed for that... (that's the gist in that massive thread - I read the whole lot a while back!)

This is what I found out about EPO on Baby hopes.....

How does Evening Primrose Oil help you in getting pregnant?

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO lowers cholesterol, helps to alleviate premenstrual syndrome symptoms and aids in the production of fertile quality cervical fluid. Evening Primrose Oil or EPO does a world of good in treating aliments of all sorts. Evening Primrose Oil or EPO is an essential fatty acid that contains gamma linolenic acid (GLA). This gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is converted to a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin E1 which has anti-inflammatory properties and may also act as a blood thinner and blood vessel dilator. These anti-inflammatory properties of evening primrose oil help people suffering from pains, aches and cramps.

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO also has effects on premenstrual syndrome symptoms and cervical mucus. If you suffer from premenstrual syndrome, it could be because you are deficient in the fatty acid, gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can help your body to alleviate the premenstrual syndrome symptoms by replacing the gamma linolenic acid (GLA).

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO helps women to produce more fertile quality cervical fluid also known as “egg white cervical mucus”. This type of cervical fluid is fertile, thin, watery, clear and “stretchy” and easily aids the sperm to swim through the uterus and into the fallopian tube, and to the egg. Also, this type of fluid helps the sperm to stay alive for up to five days inside the fallopian tube, thus enabling conception to happen even if you don’t have intercourse again by the time ovulation occurs.

If your cervical fluid is thick, brown or dry, it can obstruct or prevent fertilization. Some women are very dry, and have problems in producing an adequate amount of fertile quality cervical fluid. Drinking a lot of water and taking the Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can certainly help in the production of fertile cervical fluid in these women.

What is the dosage for Evening Primrose Oil or EPO?
Evening Primrose Oil or EPO should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation. This is because Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can cause uterine contractions in pregnancy. The dosage taken should be 1500mg to 3000mg per day. Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of Evening Primrose Oil or EPO after ovulation. This may be taken throughout pregnancy as well.

I might give it one more month,maybe it was because I took it the full cycle, dohhh..

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Northstar another update hun - i normally get 2 day positives on a clearblue OPK but it's turned negative this morning. Only 24 hours this month. I also had bad ovulation pains last night but they were on both sides and lots of EWCM. Not sure whether this has anything to do with EPO but just thought i would share it with you. :hugs:

This is what I found out about EPO on Baby hopes.....

How does Evening Primrose Oil help you in getting pregnant?

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO lowers cholesterol, helps to alleviate premenstrual syndrome symptoms and aids in the production of fertile quality cervical fluid. Evening Primrose Oil or EPO does a world of good in treating aliments of all sorts. Evening Primrose Oil or EPO is an essential fatty acid that contains gamma linolenic acid (GLA). This gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is converted to a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin E1 which has anti-inflammatory properties and may also act as a blood thinner and blood vessel dilator. These anti-inflammatory properties of evening primrose oil help people suffering from pains, aches and cramps.

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO also has effects on premenstrual syndrome symptoms and cervical mucus. If you suffer from premenstrual syndrome, it could be because you are deficient in the fatty acid, gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can help your body to alleviate the premenstrual syndrome symptoms by replacing the gamma linolenic acid (GLA).

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO helps women to produce more fertile quality cervical fluid also known as “egg white cervical mucus”. This type of cervical fluid is fertile, thin, watery, clear and “stretchy” and easily aids the sperm to swim through the uterus and into the fallopian tube, and to the egg. Also, this type of fluid helps the sperm to stay alive for up to five days inside the fallopian tube, thus enabling conception to happen even if you don’t have intercourse again by the time ovulation occurs.

If your cervical fluid is thick, brown or dry, it can obstruct or prevent fertilization. Some women are very dry, and have problems in producing an adequate amount of fertile quality cervical fluid. Drinking a lot of water and taking the Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can certainly help in the production of fertile cervical fluid in these women.

What is the dosage for Evening Primrose Oil or EPO?
Evening Primrose Oil or EPO should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation. This is because Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can cause uterine contractions in pregnancy. The dosage taken should be 1500mg to 3000mg per day. Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of Evening Primrose Oil or EPO after ovulation. This may be taken throughout pregnancy as well.

I might give it one more month,maybe it was because I took it the full cycle, dohhh..

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Wow that article is recommending a TON of EPO, the stuff I bought from Boots comes in capsules of 300mg and 500mg, and says "one a day" so 300 - 500mg a day.

First month I took 500mg, delayed O until CD 16, second month I took 1200mg delayed O until CD19 - both months I stopped taking on CD12 so there was a direct correlation between the dose of EPO and how late my O arrived.

Yet Jodes is getting an early O with it, so is Butterfly67 - curious hey ladies?

its one of those moments :wacko::wacko: not sure why it delays ovulation for some and not others? Just goes to show how everyone is different. It has many benefits. And when i said i was getting headaches with the EPO i am right it was the EPO because since yesterday i've had no headaches or there not as bad. I still would use it again next cycle if needed though.:flower:

its one of those moments :wacko::wacko: not sure why it delays ovulation for some and not others? Just goes to show how everyone is different. It has many benefits. And when i said i was getting headaches with the EPO i am right it was the EPO because since yesterday i've had no headaches or there not as bad. I still would use it again next cycle if needed though.:flower:

Hey Jodes I saw on another thread you had introduced soy this cycle as well, it might have been that which brought your O on early, I've heard a lot of people say that:wacko:

Possibly to be more accurate i need to take EPO on it's own don't i? I did take Soy last month and my LH surge was found on day 14 and i ovulated 2 days later with 2 days of smileys. So i think EPO has had an affect on my cycle this month. :wacko:

That would be interesting if you tried next month with just one of the supplements....but it's good to share all our expereiences anyway, thanks

Just wanted to chime in...I'm new here! I started using 1000 mg of the EPO about 3 months ago. The first month I didn't notice much change in ewcm (why I was taking it) but my LP was longer - 16 days vs my usual 12-14 days. My O day was normal...day 11. The following two months (this month included) 3-4 days of EWCM which I haven't seen for a long time! My O day still within normal - days 12 and 14. LP normal as well. (well at least last month not sure for this month yet.) So like everyone is saying, it may work differently for everyone. GL!

Just wanted to chime in...I'm new here! I started using 1000 mg of the EPO about 3 months ago. The first month I didn't notice much change in ewcm (why I was taking it) but my LP was longer - 16 days vs my usual 12-14 days. My O day was normal...day 11. The following two months (this month included) 3-4 days of EWCM which I haven't seen for a long time! My O day still within normal - days 12 and 14. LP normal as well. (well at least last month not sure for this month yet.) So like everyone is saying, it may work differently for everyone. GL!

Thanks for sharing your experience, just goes to show that supplements have different effects on different people.

So much info. Thanks ladies.

Question: If I start taking EPO for EWCM do I start on day CD 1 or the day after my period? Then stop when I get my LH surge or the day of O? I'm just so leery about taking something that might mess with my cycle. :wacko:

My doc in previous years had suggested to take EPO for my sore breasts. Wonder if it would help that and since I don't really notice EWCM I wonder if I should try it?

So much info. Thanks ladies.

Question: If I start taking EPO for EWCM do I start on day CD 1 or the day after my period? Then stop when I get my LH surge or the day of O? I'm just so leery about taking something that might mess with my cycle. :wacko:

My doc in previous years had suggested to take EPO for my sore breasts. Wonder if it would help that and since I don't really notice EWCM I wonder if I should try it?

CD1 would be fine, just don't take it if there is any possiblity you could be pregnant, it's not safe for that. It has actually helped my AF pain, it has eased it - though it's also stuffed up my cycle :nope:

And you must stop taking it as soon as you confirm O as well - do you BBT? If you don't chart then the day you get a + opk I would advise stopping.

Thank you Northstar! :flower: I'm amazed that EPO works so quickly. I would think that you'd have to take it a while for it to 'kick' in. :shrug:

If it hadn't stuffed up my LP I would recommend it...no point in good EWCM if you can't implant LOL

Jumping in here too :)
I have tried EPO but apart from increased EWCM it gave me shocking headaches lasting for up to 4 days almost migraine strength and delayed O.
I do take vitex every day and 5mg folic acid, 500mg natural vitamin E and I have recently added in co enzyme q10.
I am going to assess the next couple of cycles and see if I get the ehadache anyway. I know I should by now but honestly I just know I get lots of headaches but I do note one the same days I take EPO.
I also take a pregnancy multi vitamin.

Thanks for sharing your EPO experience AngelicDragon, quite a few ladies have said it gave them headaches so it seems to be a common SE, along with the delayed O.

I had a few bad headaches last cycle but I put them down to a really stressful week at work, but I also wonder about that.

headaches were bad with me whilst taking EPO and then as soon as i stopped they were not as bad however i do normally suffer with headaches but these headaches were worse than normal. I will defo continue to take it because it has many pros for me. x

The headache things to be a common SE, interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->