Necessities if baby comes early

1stOne

Reaction score
Good Morning Ladies!

I was reading a thread yesterday and a women said her baby came at 30 weeks. This scared me pretty good because that would mean I would be holding our daughter in my arms in less than 9 weeks! I know this is highly unlikely and I am in no way wishing for that but I do want to be prepared just in case. Please do not use this thread to tell me about medical issues and complications of having a premature baby as I already know and don't need an even bigger scare.

I have created a list of necessities for baby and I. A side note, I intend to breastfeed. Please add anything I've left out.

For baby:

Car seat
Bassinet and sheets
Blanket
Burp clothes
Diapers
Wipes
Diaper rash cream
Powder
Onesies
Sleepwear
Socks
Cap
The hospital will provide socks, a blanket, cap and a take home baby essential kit with the nail clippers and nose thing, right?

For me:

Packed hospital bag
Sanitary pads
Nursing pads
Nipple cream
Nursing bra
Shirts that open in the front for nursing
Tylenol

Hmm well at 30 weeks baby wouldn't be coming home with you as they would likely spend 4-7 weeks in nicu. The only thing you need in that situation is a breast pump and bottles. Most babies in nicu don't wear anything but nappies until they are strong enough to come out of the incubator. Most nicu's also don't allow clothing or small teddies to be inside the incubator due to infection risk and interference with wires etc.

Having been a nicu mummy the only thing required was feeding equipment if planning to bf as you give the midwives daily bottles of what you've expressed so that they can start tube feeding. Eventually you'll be able to tube feed but the actual bf won't happen until baby is ready to go home.

If god forbid you do have your baby at 30 weeks that's all you need as nicu provides nappies and some also provide special preemie sized pacifiers if you've agreed to them being used and obviously baby isn't on a ventilator.

The other items you've listed don't need to be bought until a week-two weeks before baby comes home as they won't be used.

In terms of you. You will need breast pads, nipple cream as your bbs will be sore from expressing, and lots of maternity pads.

Before leaving the hospital you need a car seat. That's basically it.

I know with my nicu baby they told me not to buy anything as everything he needed during his time there was provided by the unit. If for some reason bf/expressing doesn't work out they will use a special preemie formula for feeds. Hope that helps and makes sense.

Hi hun - I wouldnt rely on the hospital to provide those things - usually you get a weird knitted cap thing but with my daughter we didnt so i took my own hat in, also they definitely didnt give me any blankets, or socks, or a baby care kit lol i wish!

also its an entirely personal thing here BUT i heard that baby powder (talc) has a link to cervical cancer in women in later life. it may or may not be true but makes sense if the particles go where they shouldnt. it just scared me thats all so just letting you know my knowledge :flower: its a lot less raved about now than it used to be anyways, i just dry baby in all her leg creases etc and apply barrier cream sometimes. as i said though its entirely up to you xxx

I'm not exactly sure what should be on a necessity list but I will say that its best to be prepared. A very close family member of mine gave birth at 26 weeks, and her baby was home one month afterwards. I don't plan on doing any shopping till after 28 weeks, but my husband is going to start ordering things very soon. I understand your need to be prepared, it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully some other ladies can tell you what the must need items are.

how about something for you to wear during labour. an outfit for you to wear home. a towel. a wash bag with your toiletries in x

Thanks ladies. For the last few days I have had this anxious feeling like I need to get going on my shopping. I know it's early but I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->