Need help quickly please

Nats21

Reaction score
We've got tall trees in our garden (think they are called leylandii trees). Apparently they can grow up to 100 feet. Well over the years weve rented here they seem to have got taller (esp this year) so i rang the estate agents the other day to say about getting them cut back, it definitely needs a professional in, theres no way we could do it ourselves, she got back to me today and the landlord says its down to us to maintain the garden., I argued and said the contract says about pruning trees but not about getting a professional in, plus thinking about it the contract was for 6 months when we first moved in (we moved november 2010) and now we are just going on a month by month basis as to get another 6 month contract would have cost us about £100, so does that still stand? What can I do if she rings back and says its still down to us? Does anyone know where we stand? Xx

On every contract we've had we've been responsible for maintaining the and keeping them tidy, rubbish and weed free. We've had to trim bushes and overgrown plants, but i've never been expected to trim/prune a tree that would result in a high cost.

I think if you want it done (and it only needs doing to look nicer) then you need to pay for it, i think many landlords don't do things like that unless they have to or it's damaging the property or requested by neighbours as its overhanging etc.

I absolutely wouldn't expect to prune trees!

Our landlord expects us to keep the garden 'tidy' ie mow the lawn but sends a man round to do the giant hedge trimming.

Hun I rent from the council and have the exact same problem with trees that are taller than the house in the back garden. My tenancy states that I have to keep the garden 'tidy' but when I phoned them they agreed that for such a big job its normally down to the landlord. I know its slightly different as yours is a private tenancy but im sure the same kind of rules should apply? Hope they sort it for you.. if its anything like my back garden it blocks out soooo much light that it gets depressing! x

Thanks girls. I'm waiting for them to get back to me (who knows when that'll be!) so will see what they say. I do think its out of order expecting us to pay for it so will see what they say when they ring back, obviously we do the garden and keep it tidy but big trees like that I do think he should pay to have done xx

I know I'm from the US, but it is standard for the landlord to take care of the big stuff like trees. We had this problem once at a place we rented. I informed the landlord at least three times in writing there was a dead branch hanging over the house and she didn't do anything about it. Several months later there was a storm, the branch fell on the roof, and she ended up replacing part of the roof, a window, and the gutters. Basically what I'm saying is to do your due diligence. Keep everything in writing, so if anything happens, you have proof that you brought it to their attention. If you want the trees cut for aesthetic purposes, that is probably on you though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->