Need opinions, please! First time mom!

Mer12345

Reaction score
So my husband and I just purchased a home before we found out I was pregnant. The home has the master bed room on the second floor, and all of the other bedrooms on the first. There is, however, a small walk in closet that we could technically turn into a nursery.

Would a first room nursery be too far away? She would, of course, sleep in our room until she is 6 months or more. But at the point that she is able to move to her own room, would you feel comfortable having her sleep downstairs while we are upstairs? The walk up and down the stairs doesn’t bother me at all, I am more worried about break ins and fires! Am I being over worrisome since this is my first? Also - we are planning on having more children shortly after her, so what would you do when we have another if we are still in the house?

I think if you can take out the rails and shelving out of the closet for the now and decorate it for baby that would be the way to go. New babies wake up so regularly that I couldn't imagine walking up and down stairs every couple of hours - especially at night. I think you are over-thinking fires, break-in as there are safety measures you can put in place to help keep your home safe but you are also a first time Mum too and I think we have all been there in the same situation at some point in our lives. <3 You can put her into her own room when ever you feel she's ready for it. There is no written rules. :)

I think it's just a personal choice. I know several people who have children on the upper floor and their master on the main. Personally, for me that wouldn't work as I'm a worrier. But that's just me. Like I said, plenty of people do it and are perfectly fine with it. And like pp said, you can protect yourself and family from fire or break ins with security, alarms, monitors, extinguishers, escape ladders and such. You could also just skip using the master for right now and put your bedroom on the same floor (my cousin did that for a few years)

It's a very personal choice, I know some people who are not happy with their older children been on a different floor so the same reasons you give, and other who are quite happy with it from 6 months. Personally I would want baby near me until 1ish. Like pp has said you can put things in place such as smoke detectors, burgukar alarms etc. You can also have a video baby monitor so you can still see your baby/ toddler from your bedroom.

Thank you all so much! I think we have decided to make her nursery downstairs for now! She will absolutely be sleeping in our room for the first at least 6 months or until we feel comfortable enough for her going downstairs. We are planning on getting a great alarm system and fire system, and of course a good monitor for when she moves down stairs! We aren't planning on staying at this house for a long time, just a couple years, so that makes me feel better! Definitely not our forever home, just our first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->